Straight Tylon Powder

I was told for years from vet to mix 1 tsp of tylon with 9 Tablespoons of cornstaarch.. I have been reading that i could put the powder into empty capsules..how much powder would i put in? Where can i buy the empty capsules and is there an easy way to pour it in?

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

I get the capsules at a local medical supply, they have gelatin and non-gelatin varieties. Measure how much Tylan you need with a small measuring spoon and you should be done, I haven't added any filler to it. When needed, I put the capsules in their food bowls and it goes down the hatch no problem. Hope that helps!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We get our capsules as a health food store. A 00 capsule holds about 1/8 tsp. of Tylan. The bigger size capsule is ridiculously expensive, like $16 for the same quantity that would cost 5 or 6 dollars in the 00 size.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Ask the vet or pharmacist for a small thingy (sorry, don't know the proper name) that has ml marks on it. My vet included that with Sam's first tylan prescription. I used a plastic straw to pick up the powder (stick the straw down in the powder, squeeze the top end closed, move the bottom end over the "thingy", tap the top end to get the powder to drop). Once you've got the proper measure in the thingy, you can empty it into the capsule (the bottom of the thingy is tiny, like a funnel or like a hypodermic syringe with no needle in it--in fact, that might be what the "thingy" actually came from). Or you can do what I did with Sam: I dumped the measured powder inside a doubled slice of deli-style turkey, rolled the turkey up like a burrito, and popped it in Sam's mouth. It went right down. (I doubled the slice over because the lunch meat was so thin I was afraid it would crack open and spill the powder.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

We use tylan powder without the capsules for one of our boys. 1/4 teaspoon at each meal, he's fed 2x's a day. At each meal, I mix it into a tablespoon of pumpkin then add this mixture to his kibble. He wolfs his food down. We've been doing this since November and he's never not eaten. Also, the tylan powder significantly helped his loose bowels.

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

ty everyone..i might just put it in her applesauce..i dont know why these past 3 years i have been doing it the hard way with the cornstarch..i just assumed they couldnt take it straight..

ty everyone..i might just put it in her applesauce..i dont know why these past 3 years i have been doing it the hard way with the cornstarch..i just assumed they couldnt take it straight..

The taste is pretty nasty--to me, at least. (I got some on my fingers.) The assumption is that if the dog tastes it, he'll stop eating whatever you've put it in. Apparently, some dogs do, others don't. (Sam gave me a dirty look a couple of times--I think he got a bit of the taste--but he wasn't willing to lose out on sliced turkey.)

As for the cornstarch, I think that's because the dosage often is such a small amount. If you mix it with cornstarch, then you get something that can be measured out later with a teaspoon. Sam's recommended dosage was so low, it was less than half of the smallest measuring spoon I own.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

You can buy a capsule filling "machine" (actually, there's nothing mechanical about it) very cheaply in different capsule sizes. Example: capsule filler

It's really something like a two-part candle mold. You put the big half of empty capsules in the first part of the holder, and then place it on a sheet of paper or plastic. Pour the powder in till it fills the upturned capsule portions. Put the smaller part of the empty capsules in the 2nd part of the holder and turn it over to fit on the filled capsule parts. Press firmly, and when you pull the top part off -- voila' -- neatly filled capsules. Pour the excess powder from the paper/plastic back into your powder supply, and you're ready to start again. It's an almost mindless procedure -- you can easily make a couple of hundred filled capsules while watching a 30-minute television program.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

You can buy a capsule filling "machine" (actually, there's nothing mechanical about it) very cheaply in different capsule sizes. Example: capsule filler

It's really something like a two-part candle mold. You put the big half of empty capsules in the first part of the holder, and then place it on a sheet of paper or plastic. Pour the powder in till it fills the upturned capsule portions. Put the smaller part of the empty capsules in the 2nd part of the holder and turn it over to fit on the filled capsule parts. Press firmly, and when you pull the top part off -- voila' -- neatly filled capsules. Pour the excess powder from the paper/plastic back into your powder supply, and you're ready to start again. It's an almost mindless procedure -- you can easily make a couple of hundred filled capsules while watching a 30-minute television program.

oh wow that is really cool..ty for sharing