Food For Ibd Dog

I think everyone knows my grey, Huck, has IBD. The vet wanted to do a biopsy so she could put him on predisone and I held off. He was on TOTW Salmon and I switched him to Science Diet I/D. Well, lo and behold, his stools have firmed up almost to normal (this is a first since I adopted him 9 months ago) and there are no stomach noises. He has been on Science Diet about 3 weeks now and I plan on keeping him on it for while. But, it is very pricey and I really believe it is not a very good food. Have any of you had the same situation and what did you finally change to with success? Oh, and he is now on B12 shots once a month for the rest of his life. Thanks so much, Nan

"Good food" is what works for the dog, so I wouldn't worry about that part. I'd give him at least 3 more weeks and maybe a couple of months. Then, if he's continued to do well on that food, I'd write down the ingredients and look for a commercial food that has ONLY ingredients from that list and nothing else (OK if vitamins/minerals are stated in slightly different terms).

And now for unasked-for advice. If it comes to it, I wouldn't biopsy. I'd just put the dog on a low dose of pred and see what happens. Nothing to lose, something to gain. Lots of people talk about muscle wasting and whatnot, but that has not been our experience with low dose over the long term or higher dose over the short term. Our only side effect has been overdrinking and peeing a lot for the first 5-10 days after starting the med or increasing the dose.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest IHeartDogs

"Good food" is what works for the dog, so I wouldn't worry about that part. I'd give him at least 3 more weeks and maybe a couple of months. Then, if he's continued to do well on that food, I'd write down the ingredients and look for a commercial food that has ONLY ingredients from that list and nothing else (OK if vitamins/minerals are stated in slightly different terms).

And now for unasked-for advice. If it comes to it, I wouldn't biopsy. I'd just put the dog on a low dose of pred and see what happens. Nothing to lose, something to gain. Lots of people talk about muscle wasting and whatnot, but that has not been our experience with low dose over the long term or higher dose over the short term. Our only side effect has been overdrinking and peeing a lot for the first 5-10 days after starting the med or increasing the dose.

Batmom gave perfect advice :)

We sadly have to shell out a lot of money for Science diet z/d, but nothing else worked(and yes, the ingredients are not good but you're paying for the hydrolization). Many people are against pred, but when in low doses it is very safe. My Lucy has been on low level pred (2.5/5 mg) for almost 6 years and her blood work, kidneys/liver and muscle mass are perfect. We did not biopsy but confirmed IBD through process of elimination (drugs, diet, x-ray, blood tests).

Limited ingredients did not work for her, and I am afraid to go raw because I didn't want to cause a flare-up.

Good luck with Huck!

Edited by IHeartDogs

The vet sent his blood to Texas A&M and did X-rays and an exam. That is why she thinks he has IBD. But, to confirm that she wants to do a biopsy. She said she could not scope him from either end and reach the area she needed to look at. I asked her if I could just work with his food first..we agreeded on that. I have plenty of Pred here as I have taken it before myself. They are 10 mg pills that can be cut in half. My Mother was on a high doseage and for many years. She could not have lived without it as she had COPD. I watched what it did to her and as it was a miracle drug, it had horrible side affects, but like I said she was on a high dose for a long, long time. So, back to Huck..I will not do an abdominal surgery just to put him on a drug...I will just start him on it if I need to.

Also, I have two more bags of Science Diet I/D and one of them is very large as the vet had to special order it for me..so, he will be on it awhile..Thanks so much.

Guest koolaidnconner

My Conner has IBD and has been good for quite sometime now drug free and eating what the other dogs eat. For a long time we had him on 3-4 different meds and ONLY Z/D food. If you find something that works DONT change it.

If I remember right, pred is not a good choice for greyhounds.

If his stool firmed up, I don't see IBD. For Dottie, Honest Kitchen worked and for Isaac the same. They both had pudding poop.

Do I like SD? No, can't stand it, however if that is the only thing that works, use it.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

My dog (we think) has IBD and the Hills D/D Venison has worked for him. I'm not thrilled with the food and it's expensive & inconvenient to buy, but he's doing soo much better on it than a few weeks ago, so we're sticking with it for now.

It is trial and error with a lot of these dogs, and if it works, then it's right for him!

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest Stripeyfan

Like others have said, the best food is what works for the dog, it's not down to the ingredients. Kelly is on an extremely limited home-cooked diet for his IBD which we have to add vitamins/minerals to – extremely expensive and can be a faff to prepare sometimes, but as long as he has bouncy poop that's all that matters!

IMHO if it's not broke don't fix it. Changing foods may cost you more than just money. You might want to contact Hills pet food company and explain that you want to continue feeding their product but, are having $$ concerns-- it's my guess they will send you a coupon.