E-Vet Last Night, Had To Leave Town This Morning

So I noticed Jujube was licking a paw last night. When I looked at it there was a big tear in the skin between the 3rd and 4th toes in the web :angry:

Showed DH who thought it would be fine and heal on it's own. Me, being the somewhat overprotective mom, thought it should be looked at. If we didn't have a 9am flight out the next morning and she wasn't going to be watched by my sitter for a week, I probably would have waited. I thought maybe they would wrap it. Well, the e-vet said it needed stitches and involved the sides of both toes as well as the pad. They sedated her, fixed it and I took her home about an hour later. No running, jumping, playing and pottying on leash. My poor dog sitter. I will definitely be upping what I normally pay her.

Anybody have any experience in how long this will take to heal? This is her 3rd trip to the vet in 6 months with lacerations. Topper has had nothing more than a scratch in the same time. Are some greys more likely to sustain skin tears based on their type of coat? Mine have totally different types of hair.

siggy2.jpg

Guest KennelMom

if you take any sort of laceration to a vet, most of them will stitch it. It's what they do. Never had split webbing stitched, it just heals on it's own in a couple weeks.

And,yep, some dogs are going to be more prone to skin tears than others...some of my greys just think about looking at something sharp and they'll get a skin tear. Others go tearing through the natural area of our yard on a regular basis with nary a scratch on them.

Fritz is my accident prone boy who has had stitches for various things several times throughout the years. Ace has torn her webbing a few times - it's been stitched, and it's not been stitched (both decisions made by the vet). Either way it has healed fine :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Daily fish oil MIGHT help her skin's overall condition and thus make it slightly less likely to tear--MIGHT.

I hope you have a boot for the dog to wear if it rains?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Daily fish oil MIGHT help her skin's overall condition and thus make it slightly less likely to tear--MIGHT.

I hope you have a boot for the dog to wear if it rains?

She is already on fish oil, as both had really bad dandruff when they arrived, now somewhat improved. She is also on melatonin.

She came home with a makeshift bootie, a part of an IV bag with a strip of gauze woven in the top to act as a tie. The vet wrapped it the first night then told me to take it off the next morning. The back yard contains equal parts dirt and grass, so I had asked my sitter to put her in the boot until they got to a grassy area. She did not like the boot and was focusing more on it then finding a place to potty.

That's all I have. Suggestions for what brand of bog boot to buy?

siggy2.jpg

if you take any sort of laceration to a vet, most of them will stitch it. It's what they do. Never had split webbing stitched, it just heals on it's own in a couple weeks.

And,yep, some dogs are going to be more prone to skin tears than others...some of my greys just think about looking at something sharp and they'll get a skin tear. Others go tearing through the natural area of our yard on a regular basis with nary a scratch on them.

Well, don't like that the e-vet cost me $500 bucks for something I didn't really need.

To heal on it's own, do you just leave it open to the air? Given the location I figured she would just keep splitting it open with movement and grind a bunch of dirt in it.

Do you keep a boot on it for the couple of weeks to keep it clean and do leash walks with no playing etc? I know this will happen again. :(

siggy2.jpg

Guest KennelMom

Just leash walk them, rinse it well with water when they come in and it will heal. I don't tend to mess with booties unless I really need to, but putting one out for outside trips wouldn't be a bad idea. Inside, you want it as open to the air as possible.

Pawz dog boots are really great for covering a foot for going outside -- I know this all too well from experience. http://pawzdogboots.com/ (they say medium for greyhounds, but I use large) I've seen them at Petco too I think.

A toddler sock taped on the top will cover the foot so she can't do more damage by licking. Beth is a big wound-licker, and it can really make things worse.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest snakes

We had a web split by my boy running into a chain link fence. we let it heal on its own, about two weeks. I just put a baby sock on for trips outside and then rinsed it twice a day (i found a small syringe to squirt the water in worked best). I also would put some bacitracin in between the toes at night just to be on the safe side.