Ibd Low Fat Kibble

Thanks Pam-- Poots (aka Sly Spin) was a special boy and sadly a sick one on and off for his last 3 years.

The term IBD seems to be used for every dog that has gi issues. True IBD is an immune disease. It's truly horrible - it can be and is a deadly disease. Poots was admitted many times to the hospital and was given a guarded prognosis many times over. His lost the battle when his IBD morphed into cancer of his duodeum. Ironicaly, he did pretty well with an OTC food- Natural Balance Duck and Potato.

My heart goes put to all the owners and hounds dealing with the disease.

I do agree that IBD is often used to loosely and applied to too many cases, however IBD stands for Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's Disease are the (2) Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. So if one has been diagnosed with one of these they do indeed fall under the umbrella of those suffering from IBD.

http://www.medicinenet.com/inflammatory_bowel_disease_intestinal_problems/article.htm

If you're not 100% sure about the chicken,** might try IAMS Lamb & Rice. It does contain some chicken meal and chicken fat. But, as Hubcitypam and I have touted many times, IAMS contains beet pulp, which seems beneficial for many dogs' digestion. Lamb & Rice fat is lower than most (tho not exceptionally low) at 12%.

** I've had dogs do poorly on some chicken-based foods but not others. If you've fed plain old chicken (raw or cooked) and that hasn't worked, that would be a clear indication of a problem.

Yes, Iams was what fixed Rex (and Elvis the foster too). I went to heck and back with expensive foods but once I went to Iams the bloody runs, soft poop and gurguly tummy that woke me at night all stopped. Period.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest ravenchilde

I lost the battle with kibble and went to raw - Miley seems to be doing much better now and was diagnosed with IBD a few months back. Sorry to hear that raw didn't work out for your pup. Best of luck on the I/D. Keep us posted?