Would Love Your Help And Support! (My Limping Greyhound)

Guest asianpeanut

Phoenix is 11.5 years old. I'm going the pain management route. No radiation or anything like that. I'm just going to do my best to keep him comfortable.

He stopped putting weight on his rear right leg and had a couple of falls. Vets thought it was arthritis. After his second fall I requested x-rays, which Dr. Couto said were highly consistent with osteo. My vet and I decided to forego the FNA since management wouldn't wouldn't change and Phene is terrified of going to the vet.

I've covered all of my floors with non-slip mats and he's eating well when I add lots of chicken broth to his food. It has been a bit of a chore getting him to eat, however. My biggest concern is greyhound #2, who is a playful lab disguised as a greyhound. She's already knocked Phene down once. Luckily a very special friend has offered to look after Treasure when Phene's condition deteriorates. I still let them in the backyard together but I'm always there to supervise. He seems happy and was digging yesterday and throwing his soccer ball around.

I certainly understand how difficult thismis for you. Please don't hesitate to pm me or we can chat through Skype. This might be a bit easier to handle if we lean on each other since we're both new to this and both newly diagnosed. Once again, I'm so sorry for your diagnosis. I'm here for you. Just let me know if you want my Skype name.

Hijack over :).

P.S. I typed this with my iPad so I don't take responsibility for any weird, inappropriatevwords it may have substituted ;lol

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jen! What's the Deramaxx for? I didn't get any of that...

Deramaxx is another NSAID pain medication, like the Rimadyl that Baker is on. You can't use more than one NSAID at a time. I find that they all work pretty similarly, although individual dogs may do better on one than another.

:nod

Regarding the medication, the things that were important to me were that she wasn't doped up/I still saw her normal personality, and she wanted to eat. I had no problems giving higher doses of the meds to control her pain if those things weren't issues. When we could no longer control her pain with that level of meds and had to give up on the other stuff, it was time to let her go. That was my take.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks Jen! What's the Deramaxx for? I didn't get any of that...

Deramaxx is another NSAID pain medication, like the Rimadyl that Baker is on. You can't use more than one NSAID at a time. I find that they all work pretty similarly, although individual dogs may do better on one than another.

:nod

Regarding the medication, the things that were important to me were that she wasn't doped up/I still saw her normal personality, and she wanted to eat. I had no problems giving higher doses of the meds to control her pain if those things weren't issues. When we could no longer control her pain with that level of meds and had to give up on the other stuff, it was time to let her go. That was my take.

I absolutely agree. It isn't about the amount or number, it is really all about the response to them.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest BlueCrab

Jen - so sorry your first posts on GreyTalk have to be on this topic. You've gotten some excellent advice from the folks who know best. Hugs to you and Baker and you take this very difficult journey.

Guest asianpeanut

Phoenix is 11.5 years old. I'm going the pain management route. No radiation or anything like that. I'm just going to do my best to keep him comfortable.

He stopped putting weight on his rear right leg and had a couple of falls. Vets thought it was arthritis. After his second fall I requested x-rays, which Dr. Couto said were highly consistent with osteo. My vet and I decided to forego the FNA since management wouldn't wouldn't change and Phene is terrified of going to the vet.

I've covered all of my floors with non-slip mats and he's eating well when I add lots of chicken broth to his food. It has been a bit of a chore getting him to eat, however. My biggest concern is greyhound #2, who is a playful lab disguised as a greyhound. She's already knocked Phene down once. Luckily a very special friend has offered to look after Treasure when Phene's condition deteriorates. I still let them in the backyard together but I'm always there to supervise. He seems happy and was digging yesterday and throwing his soccer ball around.

I certainly understand how difficult thismis for you. Please don't hesitate to pm me or we can chat through Skype. This might be a bit easier to handle if we lean on each other since we're both new to this and both newly diagnosed. Once again, I'm so sorry for your diagnosis. I'm here for you. Just let me know if you want my Skype name.

Hijack over :).

P.S. I typed this with my iPad so I don't take responsibility for any weird, inappropriatevwords it may have substituted ;lol

Hi Robin,

Thanks for sharing your story and for your support.:) How is Phoenix doing? Baker has his good and bad days but overall he is doing alright for the moment. I would love to do Skype sometime, that sounds like a good idea considering that we are going through the same thing. Would be nice to have the support. You can also feel free to email me at asianpeanut@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Thanks for asking. Like Baker, he has his good and bad days. Today ended up being a bad one :cry1

Have you joined Circle of Grey? I did the other day and have received tons of support.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

This sucks! every time he breathes funny or wobbles, I think it's time :lol I think I need help more than Phene does :).

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

I wonder if OSU's (or anyone else's) protocol includes a little Valium for the people.

Lots of hugs to all with sick doggies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest asianpeanut

This sucks! every time he breathes funny or wobbles, I think it's time :lol I think I need help more than Phene does :).

Hi Robin,

Sorry for the delayed response, have been so busy haven't been on the site in a few days. How's Phoenix? Is he doing any better? What meds do you have him on now? I know the feeling you are talking about, it is AWFUL! It feels so overwhelming and all-consuming. Some days I would walk around like a zombie because my whole mind was taken up with Baker! I used to be an acupuncturist/Chinese herbalist and I called one of my old professors/Chinese doctors and he wrote a Chinese herbal formula for Baker. I would highly recommend him writing a formula for Phoenix. He is an MD from China as well as Chinese medicine doctor and co-runs a Traditional Chinese medicine Oncology clinic for people in Los Angeles. He is brilliant and extremely knowledgable. Baker seems improved with his pain and more importantly has his old spunk back! Let me know if you would like his contact info. I put some of the herbal powder in with Baker's food.

So sorry to hear about the rough patch!:(. Let me know if you want to do Skype sometime!

Hugs! Hugs! Hugs!

Jennifer

Jennifer, I can't write much right now but one quick question...would you recommend acupuncture for osteo? I've an appointment for Phene. Phene is currently taking Metacam for a 25 kg dog and 12 mg of Tramadol 3x a day.

Take it easy. How is Baker? How are you coping? It would be great to Skype when I return home (am in Halifax for work).

Take it easy and hugs to both of you.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Guest asianpeanut

Jennifer, I can't write much right now but one quick question...would you recommend acupuncture for osteo? I've an appointment for Phene. Phene is currently taking Metacam for a 25 kg dog and 12 mg of Tramadol 3x a day.

Take it easy. How is Baker? How are you coping? It would be great to Skype when I return home (am in Halifax for work).

Take it easy and hugs to both of you.

Hi Robin,

I posted on your other post too about the acupuncture (just saw your thread). So there is a more detailed response there, but I would say that it doesn't pose a major risk and most likely will help. In people there is sometimes a concern with using acupuncture with cancer, but primarily just as it relates to needling directly by the site of the tumor. Often a practitioner will choose points away from the actual site which will in turn have an overall positive effect on the body. However, I really prefer the herbs overall because it is something that you can do every day, multiple times a day and tends to have a more concrete effect on the body. Acupuncture can get expensive when you do it at the proper frequency. Herbs actually change the biochemistry in the body.

HOpe that helps:). Yes, let's Skype when you return!

Hang in there and be gentle with yourself:)

Kiss Phene for me!

Jennifer

Guest asianpeanut

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to update everyone on Baker. He has been doing great the last couple weeks! I started him on the Gabapentin a couple weeks ago and a Chinese herbal formula that one of my old Chinese medicine professors wrote for me (who specializes in oncology) and Baker is just like his old self! He is essentially not limping at all and has his old energy back, as spunky as ever! It's so nice to see him feeling good. I think these herbs are amazing! If anyone has a pup with Osteo, I would highly recommend putting them on a similiar formula!

Thanks everyone!

Jennifer

Guest asianpeanut

Oh, and Baker is only on 100 mg. of Gabapentin per day right now, which makes me think that a lot of this is from the herbs....

Guest asianpeanut

I'm so glad Baker is doing great! :yay

Thanks Robin, you are so sweet:). Yes, I have been quite surprised at his response to the meds and the herbs. Personally, having practiced Chinese medicine and knowing how incredible this medicine is, I attribute much of his improvement to that. Also, I switched his diet to "real" food like ground beef or turkey, brown rice, ground veggies, etc., so I think he is also staying around for that!:) heehee..

More importantly, how are you doing?! How are you coping?

Still in my prayers, of course:)

Jennifer