Beef Heart

Anyone feed beef heart?

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest greybookends

I feed it when ever I can afford to buy it. My gang loves it. It is straight muscle meat with very little to no fat on it.

Yes, if it isn't too expensive. I bought a case once (much cheaper). A 25 lb case (approx.) had three hearts, those suckers are huge :eek Which makes sense, when you think about the size of the animal they come from. Cutting them up was a major pain in the butt, and pretty gross, even though I am used to dealing with "parts". I decided that was one thing I would pay the extra money for someone else to do the work!

Guest mcsheltie

I do! If it will be your dog's first time, make sure to cut off the fat and start out in small quantities.

Edited by mcsheltie

Guest Swifthounds

Ask at the butcher dept. in your local grocery or supermarket. Usually, if they don't happen to stock it regularly, they can order it for you.

Guest greybookends

I get it in Food Lion. Sometimes they have it in stock but if they don't they will order it for me.

Edited by greybookends

I heard that one of our local specialty dog food stores is going to sell it. $5.00 a pound. Assume it is frozen. Need to get the details.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

I heard that one of our local specialty dog food stores is going to sell it. $5.00 a pound. Assume it is frozen. Need to get the details.

Persian Proverb

Guest greybookends

Your grocer can get it A LOT cheaper for you. At Food Lion it is usually less the $1.60 per pound. That's not a lot but when you are feeding 6 and funds are limited at the moment, it is more then I can afford right now. Go to a grocery store and ask the butcher if they can order it for you. It might mean you have to order a case but the cases are not that big.

Guest BrianRke

Ask at the butcher dept. in your local grocery or supermarket. Usually, if they don't happen to stock it regularly, they can order it for you.

Thanks I'll check it out.

I get it in Food Lion. Sometimes they have it in stock but if they don't they will order it for me.

I'll try checking there too, I tried Fresh Market and they dont have it.

:nod Ask at a local chain or independent store -- not a big chain. The one in Lubbock would order stuff for me if I'd buy the whole case.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

You may also have good luck with "ethnic" markets.

Store-wise I've actually had the best luck with my local Shoprite stores. They stock it, will order it, and will cut anything you buy any way you like for free.

It was $1.49 a pound at Fiesta, the Mexican chain grocery, yesterday. Also, look in the phone book under Carneceria.

We have a Mexican grocery so I will check it out. Thanks everyone.

Persian Proverb

It's usually $1.49/lb here in the asian grocery stores, when I can get it by the case (60 lbs each) it's much cheaper at $0.50-0.60/lb but I can't get that often. I would recommend starting with small pieces the first few times to let them get used to it as it can be rich. It's excellent nutritionally though.