Quick Advice, Periodontal Vaccine?

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

Hi, my new-ish greys (we got them 9 mo ago) Greta and Swiftie are supposed to go in today for the first booster on their periodontal vaccine. We tried a new vet with G&S, as I became disenchanted with the vet we went to when we had Timber, our last greyhound.

This new vet has a greyhound herself, and recommended the periodontal vaccine. I went ahead with it, no questions asked, as I know periodontal disease can be very serious.

I just searched the forums here and see that the vaccine hasn't been totally proven to be effective, and many on these forums wouldn't do it for their greys.

Should I go in and have the first booster and then just not go back next year for the annual booster?

Should I skip getting the first booster, period?

Can I have your opinion, please?

TY!

Gracie tolerated the first vaccine injection without incident.

When the first booster was given later (a few weeks?), she was OK at the vet office but by evening she was in horrible pain and screaming from a reaction so I had to take her to the emergency vet.

Never again will we do this vaccine. :angryfire

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest lynne893

Jeez.... anyone else?

I hate to think of giving my girls bad reaction, I also hate to think of ignoring the vet's protocol and doing harm inadvertently...

It makes me feel bad that I'm questioning my new vet's advice :(

I wouldn't continue with the vaccine. Pfizer announced last month that they were discontinuing it. The vaccine was only conditionally licensed and the subsequent field study did not show adequate efficacy. The field study did confirm safety, and the remaining product can still be used. I've personally never used it and have heard of a lot of local reactions. Here's a link to the thread about it being discontinued. I tried to confirm the info by looking for the actual Pfizer announcement, but I couldn't find any mention of the periodontal vaccine at all on the Pfizer website - seems it no longer exists. Did find a couple articles from veterinary news sites. I wonder if your new vet is aware it's been discontinued?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I had heard recently that Pfizer had discontinued the vaccine. My vet said she recommended it to some clients (when it first came out) but she didn't recommend it for GHs. She didn't say why, and I didn't ask since I wasn't interested in getting anyway.

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-dept/canine-practice/pfizer-introduces-vaccine-to-prevent-canine-periodontitis.aspx

That vaccine, while not really doing much for dental disease, also seemed to leave a very painful lump.

Our vets always gave an NSAID when they did it, and after a couple of years, we quit recommending it at

all, because we couldn't tell any difference between the pets that had it, vs the ones who hadn't.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Callie had the vaccine a couple of years ago and I would never do it again. I think her teeth and gums were worse than before the vaccine.

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Guest lynne893

Thanks, all. I went to the vet with the girls this morning, intending to go ahead and get the booster, then forget about it, but I asked the receptionist if it would do harm to forgo the booster, and she said "no," but I did get a funny vibe from her when I did ask about adverse effects. I got the sense she might've been trying to hide something. Weird. I wonder if they know about the discontinuation and they're trying to sell their remaining supply...

? Needless to say, I did not go forth with the booster.

Anyway, thank you for your advice. Always good to listen to your gut instinct! (I wish I'd done my homework about it before the initial vaccine... but fortunately the girls didn't have a bad reaction to the first one.)

Personally, I would forgo the booster.

The vaccine (which only had some sort of probationary approval) has not been granted full approval because it was not proved effective. That, along with adverse effects, is what swayed me to refuse the vaccine when recommended by my vet (who says Twiggy has great teeth).

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Skip the vaccine (most vets don't even offer it) and go buy some Petz Life gel. Vaccines can be so dangerous- they are being linked to more and more major illnesses like soft tissue sarcomas and IMHA. I really try not to over vaccinate so if there is another option, as with dental disease, I'll go for the alternative first.