Made In China

Guest BrianRke

145 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feed your hounds any products made in China?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mariah

I was surprised to see that those Dogswell jerky treats they carry at Whole Foods are made in China. We got those once by mistake, never again.

Guest BrianRke

I was surprised to see that those Dogswell jerky treats they carry at Whole Foods are made in China. We got those once by mistake, never again.

I was surprised by that too, they sell those here at Fresh Market, which is a high end market.

• 4 weeks later...

As hard as it is to do, I try to buy nothing from China. Period.

It's not feasible for most electronics, but we do try to research other things and find an alternative. Food of any type, human or doggy, no way!

:nod Exactly my philosophy. I won't support a country with such appalling human, and animal, rights issues, and in addition to that, they seem pretty careless about food quality and safety.

I try to source things that I need from other places - almost anywhere but China - but sometimes it isn't possible. No food items though, ever. I'd rather go on a starvation diet. :ph34r

DH says they are trying to fit in with the rest of the world and have made great strides. Well, good for them - I'm very happy to hear it. But meanwhile, till I hear that the atrocious cruelty to animals and general lack of sheer humanity and care has been stopped, I'm shopping elsewhere and have absolutely zero interest in visiting. Individual Chinese people that I meet here in my country or abroad, I'll continue to treat with the respect I show to anyone else unless it's shown (by their actions and/or attitudes) to be unearned. China as a country and culture, I have no time for.

I'm VERY careful, too......

BUT..........

the treats like chicken jerky (originates in China) that Costco and Many other fine dog supply places carry-----if it has been irradiated........I think one is OK, for humans and puppers........

Irradiation does not remove organic or inorganic toxins from food. That includes toxins produced by bacteria before the food was irradiated. (Just a FYI).

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Come on now, it's not that hard to find dog treats made on the US. I even make them sometimes with my dehydrator. There really is never any need to buy dog treats made in China.

If that was in reply to me, when I said 'I try to source things that I need from other places .. but sometimes it isn't possible', I was referring to things like kitchenware, spare parts for this and that, electrical items etc. There are plenty of alternatives for dog treats here, too!

• 4 weeks later...

I spent over 30 minutes reading labels at PetsMart and other supply stores looking for dog treats like rawhide etc that is made in Canada or the USA. Didn't find one! Lots made in Brazil, Columbia and Mexico as well as China.

I'm buying a dehydrator soon so I can make my own chicken jerky, liver, sweet potato chips etc. I guess marrow bones will be the only long time chews for now.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Swifthounds

I spent over 30 minutes reading labels at PetsMart and other supply stores looking for dog treats like rawhide etc that is made in Canada or the USA. Didn't find one! Lots made in Brazil, Columbia and Mexico as well as China.

What, pray tell, is wrong with Brazil?

I'm buying a dehydrator soon so I can make my own chicken jerky, liver, sweet potato chips etc. I guess marrow bones will be the only long time chews for now.

Marrow bones are far more hazardous to the health of a dog than anything sourced from South America.

Then again, if we didn't feed crapple, we wouldn't need long lasting chews to pick up the slack.

Guest BrianRke

Marrow bones are far more hazardous to the health of a dog than anything sourced from South America.

Then again, if we didn't feed crapple, we wouldn't need long lasting chews to pick up the slack.

I would like to know where you get your information?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with Brazil, just that the only treats I did find were made in Brazil, Mexico, Columbia and China none in Canada or the USA. I'm unsure so I don't buy.

Needing a long lasting chew has nothing to do with what I feed, I have a chewer, and giving her alternates to our coffee table and other items is important.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Swifthounds

I didn't say there was anything wrong with Brazil, just that the only treats I did find were made in Brazil, Mexico, Columbia and China none in Canada or the USA. I'm unsure so I don't buy.

FWIW, it's worth looking into items from Brazil, though I would avoid rawhide for the tendency to cause obstructions. Brazil has one of the better beef supplies in the world - far better than the U.S.

Needing a long lasting chew has nothing to do with what I feed, I have a chewer, and giving her alternates to our coffee table and other items is important.

It has everything to do with what she eats. Dogs need a chewing "outlet" because they are fed a diet that has eliminated their natural chewing exercise. It's the dog equivalent to humans needing gyms because we now have largely sedentary lives. The need exists, it just has to be artificially provided.

FWIW, it's worth looking into items from Brazil, though I would avoid rawhide for the tendency to cause obstructions. Brazil has one of the better beef supplies in the world - far better than the U.S.

It has everything to do with what she eats. Dogs need a chewing "outlet" because they are fed a diet that has eliminated their natural chewing exercise. It's the dog equivalent to humans needing gyms because we now have largely sedentary lives. The need exists, it just has to be artificially provided.

You're making an assumption she's fed kibble which isn't the case.

I will check out some treats made in Brazil though. I just don't know anyone else who has tried them. Although I know people must buy them since they restock at PatsMart all the time.

Edited by foxysmom

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

No, just the assumption that you're probably not in the minority of folks who feed species appropriate whole raw prey ( not something like a rabbit) and have the convenience of being able to leave a carcass out in the yard long enough to do so. If you are, then good for you.

Things sourced from or processed in Brazil go through standards more stringent than the U.S. Brazillians are serious about their beef market and don't want it to get the reputation that the U.S. market has (which, other than here where we pretend it's the best/safe isn't great). Price wise Brazilian items are usually less than U.S. but more than the items from China and the quality is as good or better than U.S. sourced items.

No, just the assumption that you're probably not in the minority of folks who feed species appropriate whole raw prey ( not something like a rabbit) and have the convenience of being able to leave a carcass out in the yard long enough to do so. If you are, then good for you.

Things sourced from or processed in Brazil go through standards more stringent than the U.S. Brazillians are serious about their beef market and don't want it to get the reputation that the U.S. market has (which, other than here where we pretend it's the best/safe isn't great). Price wise Brazilian items are usually less than U.S. but more than the items from China and the quality is as good or better than U.S. sourced items.

:lol Then you'd be right, no deer carcasses in our yard.

Good to know about the Brazilian items, I'll take another look at them.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

HERE IS A GOOD REASON NOT TO BUY BRAZILIAN BEEF

Brazilian Beef

Well, no. Sure, the devastation of rainforests is bad, but it's an inevitability - they'll be destroyed so the land can be repurposed no matter the particular use be aide rainforests aren't good economically. You do know that US and Canadian beef were banned for all the same reasons (plus a few extra), right?

The Brazilian beef article is dated 2007. Is there a more up-to-date one? Because an awful lot can happen in four years .. just sayin'. And while I don't wish to derail this thread further, we DO need those rainforests, especially in the current environmental situation. I've heard it said that they are 'the lungs of the world', helping to convert excessive CO2 to O2.

But to get back on track, I popped back into this thread to let you all know that yesterday I went to get more of the dried chicken breast treats that I've been buying for about two years. Same shop, same brand, same price, same packaging, except now instead of saying 'Ireland' as country of origin, they say 'China'. :angryfire

There should be a law that people should make the country of origin clear when they change it, though I guess nobody's going to want to emblazon the front of their pack with 'NOW MADE IN CHINA!'. Doesn't sound so good, huh?

I do give mine rawhide for chewing, but only "made in the USA"--not just "USA beef rawhide" but processed in the US, too.

Mine might get a very occasional treat from another country, but generally, I make their biscuits myself, wrap their pills in cheese or peanut butter.

I feel bad about all the contamination in Chinese products, because I love Chinese food and used to frequent Asian groceries. I will buy something made in Taiwan over something made in China.

Guest Swifthounds

And while I don't wish to derail this thread further, we DO need those rainforests, especially in the current environmental situation. I've heard it said that they are 'the lungs of the world', helping to convert excessive CO2 to O2

Absolutely agreed. The issue, however, is that we don't own the rainforests and unless WE are going to purchase them, we don't have any say in what will become of them - they will be used for some form of commercial gain, whatever the variety. :(

Hijack over.

• 2 months later...