Red Breathing

This morning red woke and couldn't catch his breath. After a couple minutes he seemed fine. Did his run his biz out in the yard, had his snack and back to bed. It seeems really hard for him to get comfortable, he lay for a for a couple of minutes then try another bed and plop down, not lay down but plop. When he sleeps though he is out and sounds fine. He still runs out of control, diet, weight everything is normal except for the breathing and plopping. He did just lose his best bud but has taken up well with the other grey and have become very close. Ever seen this before is there something eles I can check or should be looking for ? He just turned 11yrs old

Thanks

Edited by cacky

I'd take him to the vet for a once over. Have him listen to his heart and lungs.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

By "catch his breath" do you think it could be a reverse sneeze? There's been a thread on here about that recently.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear Red isn't feeling well. Yes, it could be reverse sneezing, allergies, etc. I, too, would take him into see the vet for a "30.000 mile check-up :)" ... just to be sure his heart and lungs are ok.

Here is a video clip of reverse sneezing that might help. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/reverse-sneezing-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Sending love and hugs Red's way!

Guest sheila

If I were to hazard a guess I would think it might be heart related because it sounds much like my bridge boy Kiowa when he got around that age. K had a heart murmur and was treated with Enalapril and that seemed to alleviate his symptoms for several more yrs. However these could be symptoms of all sorts of things and nobody on GT is really going to diagnose what the problem is. Your best bet is to take Red to a vet for an all around well dog check and mention the issues you describe.

It COULD be a lot of things, but my parents just lost their English Setter whose initial trouble was strange breathing. Was a tumor in his chest and his lungs were filling--I'm sure you're like me and don't like to run off to the vet with every issue, but at 11? I think maybe you should get him checked out. Perhaps a chest x-ray?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

If Red has that trouble again before you get to the vet, maybe you could take a video of it to show the vet exactly what's happening.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Sorry to hear Red isn't feeling well. Yes, it could be reverse sneezing, allergies, etc. I, too, would take him into see the vet for a "30.000 mile check-up :)" ... just to be sure his heart and lungs are ok.

Here is a video clip of reverse sneezing that might help. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/reverse-sneezing-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Sending love and hugs Red's way!

Thanks everyone.

Setting an appointment up with vet. Look into the reverse sneezing and that looks like what it is..I hope. But you never can be sure so well head of to see Dr M.

Peace