Strange Feeding Behavior

Queston for the experienced houndie owners,

Since prior to our Kendra's death, Secret has been starting to avoid eating when hubby feeds her breakfast. Kendra was doing it rarely(not feeling too well). Then when Kendra died, Secret has avoided her dish until I get up and tell her it is OK. My husband gets up at O dark thirty, and I prefer to sleep in, and takes the hounds on their morning walkie. (Both retired). Hubby, has not changed anything. He gets their food, puts it in their bowl, and adds the salmon oil. Even if he gives it a stir and make a big deal over breakfast, Secret will not touch it until I get out of bed and swish her bowl and tell her to eat. Sometimes this will be at least an hour or two. We have had a foster in the house for several weeks now, and he has picked up the same habit as Secret. Hubby can feed them their yogurt snack at 7PM, and they bug him until he gets it for them. And he can feed them their afternoon dinner at 4PM no problem. Just breakfast is getting the special treatment.

Any suggestions??????????????

gallery_14635_3193_11799.jpg

Missing our pups at the Bridge--Amandas Kelsey 03-15-1996 to 05-02-2008; Melissa May 07-17-1998 to 11-23-2009; Emily's Maggie 10-05-1995 to 05-20-2010; Flying Kendra 01-13-2003 to 02-28-2011; Izzy (Smile Please) 06-27-2002 to 03-28-2012: Senator (EF Rob Statesman) 04-30-2000 to 12-30-2013: Secret (Seperate Secrets) 04-10-2003 to 08-03-2014: Tugboat (Thugboat) 06-07-2007 to 07-27-2015; Betsy (Bee Better Now) 12-04-2004 to 07-02-2017: Dottie ( Rooftop Spottie) 08-08-2004 to 05-11-2018:Abby (WW's Dear Abby) 11/2008-08/2020: Tiny (Piccadilly Girl) 08/2007-10/2020:  Tiller (Kelsos Tillerson) 10/30/2018: Heart (Lions Heart) 03/08/2014

Two thoughts:

> If neither one is under weight or having any health concerns, I would begin by having him leave the food down for a set time - 10 or 15 minutes - and then pick the food up and throw it away. If they don't eat when he puts it down, they don't eat. They'll get the idea or not. If they're not hungry - and as dogs age they might need less - they might not need two feedings a day.

> Have him give them a yummy treat right before. Something they never refuse. And put a small amount on the breakfast. It might jump start them to eat for him.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Shermanator

When Travel first came home, she was not a big eater. We added just a little wet food mushed around in her kibble. Turns out, that's her kryptonite! :) She wanted the wet food, so she was willing to stand with us in sight, to eat. (She was a super spooky girl, and getting her out of the bedroom was hard.) Travel has come out her shell, but god forbid you don't give her a little wet food with breakfast or dinner! She'll sigh, and make the dramatic march to her bed, and sulk. :)

Edited to add: we are free feeders here, and when Travel came home, we couldn't regulate feedings with her- like taking the food away. And Patton would have pestered us to death if we did not feed free him. We did the best we could. :)

Edited by Shermanator

Two thoughts:

> If neither one is under weight or having any health concerns, I would begin by having him leave the food down for a set time - 10 or 15 minutes - and then pick the food up and throw it away. If they don't eat when he puts it down, they don't eat. They'll get the idea or not. If they're not hungry - and as dogs age they might need less - they might not need two feedings a day.

> Have him give them a yummy treat right before. Something they never refuse. And put a small amount on the breakfast. It might jump start them to eat for him.

Good luck!

I agree. I feed mine twice daily. When a new dog comes in the food is left down for about 15 minutes. The second time it is eaten with no problem.

june

Why can't they just wait until you get up?

I mean just how late do you sleep? :colgate

Having said that, mostly joking, I'm not a big fan of catering to the whims of healthy dogs when it comes to their food. If they don't want to eat it when he feeds them, they're not going to expired by 4 PM dinner!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck