Soft Serve Poo For The Last 2 Weeks

Guest Jakestheman

Guest Jakestheman

For the last 2 weeks, Jake's stool has been soft and runny. A couple of times it has been 100% diarrhea, but usually it has been a mix of solid and runny.

He has had no diet change - he has always eaten Wellness adult supermix with what I consider a good balance of protein, fat, and fiber. Lately however, his poop has been runny and for the last few days he has seemed picky about eating - he used to be like clockwork, and would eat everyday at 6am and 6pm.

I've collected stool samples and had them tested for worms about 2 months ago, and they found nothing.

I started giving him a couple of teaspoons of pureed organic pumpkin yesterday with each meal, and his stool was still soft this morning. It is becoming a problem because his anal glands can't express naturally this way, and I've had to do it for him :puke

any ideas or suggestions to firm his poop up please?

Take another stool sample to the vet. Could be he has picked up something since his last check.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest happygrey

If there's still no sign of a parasite in his stool, you might want to try adding 1/2 banana to his food. I find that works much better than pumpkin for my sensitive tum hound.

If the stool sample still comes up negative, try adding some cooked oatmeal to the food - it has fiber. If it is going to help, it usually helps within 24 to 48 hours. You may also want to do a culture and see if he picked up a nasty bug - if so, he might need some antibiotics.

There's also a chance that even though Jake was fine with the food previously that maybe he has developed an allergy to an ingredient - if it persists, you might want to try an elimination diet.

Get a test for giardia. When I first fostered and then adopted Kyle, he had soft serve poo. We thought it was just due to being new off the track and settling in to a home. It turned out to be giardia. I hope that is not Jake's problem.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

I would test for parasites, too. But right away, I'd feed 1/2 cup of cooked rice. And then another 1/2 cup with dinner. If you have colloidal silver, you can give a teaspoon of that 3 or 4 times during the day. Summer recently went through exactly what you are describing and the C/S & rice made a positive change within 12 hours.

Edit: 2 weeks is a long time for soft-serve caused by eating something nasty or just being upset. I would definitely test for parasites.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest PawPrintsLife

You haven't changed his food, but that doesn't mean that Wellness hasn't changed the formula. First question? Does Wellness food have the APHIS European certificate? If not, if the only standard it complies with is AAFCO, then the formula can and probably does change without you knowing it. Only food that is APHIS-certified is held to a standard that requires the company to change the bag every time the formula changes. Also, only food that is APHIS-certified is held to a standard that requires ingredients be fit for human consumption.

Without those assurances, I wouldn't trust any food on the market. APHIS certification is a much higher, much more stringent standard.

And please get him on an APHIS-certified food!

Rebecca Forrest

Logan (7 yr old male brindle)

Zelda (4 yr old female parti black)

Jordie (3 yr old male brindle)

Izzy (4 yr old female mix)

Lucy (17 yr old female tabby cat--don't tell the greys that she's a cat!)

Edited by GreyTzu
Link removed.

Guest Jakestheman

thanks everyone, I will get his stool tested again for parasites. His stool was more firm this afternoon after having 2 servings of pumpkin yesterday.

Rebecca - what APHIS certified food do you serve your grey's, and where do you order it from?