Bella's First Rmb

I was slicing up a pork shoulder to make dinner and looked at this big meaty bone... looked at Bella.... looked at the bone.... and tossed it in her crate. I was having so much fun watching her that I (gasp!) forgot to take photos. She moved it around her crate a few times to get the right position, licked it a little, looked at me, then started to tentatively nibble.

She had so much fun and wasn't very pleased when I took it away (since this was our first experience, I didn't want her to have too much the first time). I had been hesitant to feed her anything raw since we're in a small apartment - I didn't know if she'd start bringing bones and such all over the place the way she does with her Kongs. But, it was obviously a very high value treat since she didn't leave her crate. I had put a towel down so that I didn't have to wash her bedding and that worked well. She's completely exhausted now.

With a great meat market down the street with very reasonable prices, I'm seeing more meat treats in her future. This is the one place that I've seen EVERYTHING - and I mean everything. Beef tongue, packages of lard, pigs' feet, every cut of beef, lamb, pork and chicken you could imagine, and much, much more.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest FullMetalFrank

I betcha she just LOVES you for giving her that RMB! There is something magical about watching your dog contentedly gnawing on a bone.

Guest greyhound9797

Lucky Bella! She'll always remember her first time. :P

Why are you saving bones and meat for treats? Go all the way and start feeding only meat, bones and organs. Bella will thank you for it!

Sandra in FL

That's GOOD stuff right there! You were right to give it to her in her crate - I don't crate or raw-feed - but when I give raw bones, which I do as often as possible - it's outside - I don't want raw ick all over the house.

Raw bones are FABULOUS for protien and teeth cleaning. I've quit buying bonesless chicken breasts, and now buy bone-in - (half the price) - take the meat off the bone myslef - and give the ribcages to me grey - HAPPY DOG! :colgate

I'll also hack the bone out of a beef roast before it goes in the crockpot, or the bones off pork chops - and give them to the dogs before cooking. You certainly can buy bones specifically for your dog - but if you can incorporate de-boning before cooking into your family meal - all the better! Your dog will LOVE you for it. And - bone in meat is a lot cheaper than bonesless. If you have a good knife - just cut it out yourself. Good for your dinner - good for your dog! :huh

With a great meat market down the street with very reasonable prices, I'm seeing more meat treats in her future. This is the one place that I've seen EVERYTHING - and I mean everything. Beef tongue, packages of lard, pigs' feet, every cut of beef, lamb, pork and chicken you could imagine, and much, much more.
Bella, you are gonna be a lucky, lucky girl.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter