Amputation Questions

Guest corinnewynne

Guest corinnewynne

My 8 1/2 year old greyhound was just diagnosed with bone cancer (osteosarcoma). Since all the bloodtests, CT scans, and ultrasounds came back normal, we're hoping the cancer hasn't spread and he'll do well with amputation. But we know he needs chemotherapy too - not sure how to apply for the Ohio State U. study and perhaps a grant for chemotherapy. Also, think we may need to help him with a sling - where do we get one? I realize most adapt quickly, but with our steps and even the ramp we've put up for him now, I'd like to be prepared. Any help with this?

Corinne Wynne

I do have a tripod but he had his amputation before we got him and it wasn't bone cancer, so I can't really help you much. Yes, they do adapt, I can tell you that! But yes, it's a good idea to try to forestall any problems and to think ahead.

I know a lot of experienced people will help you as soon as they see this. I'm sorry that you're going through it. :(

If you go to the Ohio State University site I am sure you'll find the details there somewhere, but someone is sure to come in here soon and tell you.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Corinne, so sorry your hving to join this club. See the first post in the "Osteo" thread here for lots of info. At OSU they are now requesting that all consult requests come through the consult request page and not directly to Dr Couto's email. We've been in contact with Dr Marin who has been extremely helpful and informative. You DO NOT have to send them money and join their membership to receive consult and chemo help (though it's really worthwhile if you can afford it).

As for how they adapt, some of it depends on if it is a front leg or back leg amp. Back legs seem to be less problematic, but they do learn quite quickly how to handle themselves either way.

We use/d this harness for Dude

Ruff Wear Harness

It's really sturdy and fits him very well. We only used it for about 4 or 5 weeks and then he really didn't need it. It IS very useful for helping them re-learn how to do the stairs as it has a handle on the top like a suitcase and you can support without carrying, OR you can carry if you need to. Dude now zips up and down our stairs with hardly a blip.

He also didn't ever need a sling to go potty. The surgeon sent one home and we never used it. We did grab the harness for a day or two until he got his balance.

In retrospect, the amp surgery was really harder on US than on Dude. The first time you see you dg missing a leg, something just seems to take the wind out of you. But they live in the moment and really do get along amazingly well on three legs. If you haven't, see the thread started by "Charlies_Dad" in Cute and Funny about how his dog Charlie is doing 9 months post amp. It's inspirational!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My 8 1/2 year old greyhound was just diagnosed with bone cancer (osteosarcoma). Since all the bloodtests, CT scans, and ultrasounds came back normal, we're hoping the cancer hasn't spread and he'll do well with amputation. But we know he needs chemotherapy too - not sure how to apply for the Ohio State U. study and perhaps a grant for chemotherapy. Also, think we may need to help him with a sling - where do we get one? I realize most adapt quickly, but with our steps and even the ramp we've put up for him now, I'd like to be prepared. Any help with this?

Corinne Wynne

My Joe is 8 months post amp and doing great. He was 7 and 4 months when diagnosed. I live in Columbus so was lucky to have the surgery and treatment done by OSU.

Here is the website you need ot submit a consult request or request for chemo:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/

Cursor down until you see the link for the consultation form. You can have them review the x-rays before amputation if you would like. You also use this form to request chemo drugs. Your vet can call Stephanie. She will put them in contact with an oncologist.

Since it sounds like you are doing amputation: Chemo typically starts two weeks after the amputation, as long as there is no infection or other issues. You will get the results of the pathology within about 5 days after amputation typically. Once confirmed, OSU can recommend and ship IV chemo drugs to your vet. They will also consult with your vet regarding administration, etc. OSU will provide free IV chemo (used to be doxorubicin but because of some supplier issues they have been providing carboplatin recently).

If you are in Ohio and can come to OSU for chemo, they have an experimental drug, Suramin, that they give 4 hours before chemo. They believe it will increase the effectiveness of the chemo. Unfortunately, last I heard, it was only available to a select few universities doing research on the drug.

When is the amputation? I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. My week looks pretty crazy but I should be home in the evenings. You can try me during the day but it will be hit or miss. My phone number is 614-523-0754.

Charlies_Dad also has a lot of information on amputation as do many others here. When you have time, you might want to read through the osteo thread. There is a lot of good information.

Here is a great and concise site about what to expect with amputation. It was written by a fellow greytalker:

http://minnesotagreyhounds.wordpress.com/what-to-expect-with-a-leg-amputation/

Please let us know how we can help.

Jane

Corinne,

Chris (greysmom) has it correct about OSU. The chemo protocol if you go with OSU will depend on the drugs they have, it's either Carboplatin (4-6 depending on vet/pup's mom/dad) or Doxyrubicin (5 rounds). We went with the latter however did not go through OSU as we felt those drugs would be better for those who financially may not be able to cope with the amp & chemo. In reality the drugs are not really the expensive part, it's the blood tests, x-rays and vet's time to administer the drugs. One other drug that is important during and after surgery is Amicar to help reduce the bleeding, OSU recommends it and it does wonders for Greyhounds.

I will also second the Ruff Wear harness, it works very well and we were lucky that a fellow GT'er (BruciesDad) kindly lent us theirs. You do not need a harness, they are just more supportive of your pup than just a sling. Our vet hospital where Charlie's leg was amputated provided us a sling so I would ask them if they will supply one.

Based on your e-mail, my guess is you are prepared for when your pup comes home? There are a number of items to list if you are not already prepared:

- cover slippery floors as much as possible

- ramp is nice to outdoors but they usually will get accustomed to steps eventually

- sufficient pain meds to ensure your pup stays comfortable

- details from your vet what pain meds you can administer and increase if necessary

- cold compress to help with the bruising (we used a bag of frozen peas)

- time off from work to monitor you pup (1 week preferable or 2 if you can wing it, e.g. work from home)

- food prepared in advance if you make it so it' one less thing to worry about

- get plenty of sleep/rest in advance as your pup will wake you up the first few nights home

- somebody to talk to when you are questioning your choice, are frustrated, scared, etc.

I know I am missing something else. Do you have the OSU contact info? You can reach out to Jane (Joejoesmom) as she is 'in tight' with OSU and Dr. Coutu!

I see that Jane got to this post just before me. :lol

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So sorry to learn that you are going to begin this journey. I will think good thoughts for you and your pup! I have no chemo or cancer experience, so I cannot help you there. I can confirm that OSU is really helpful, I've consulted on one or two issues in the past and they respond promptly. I also want to add my vote for the Ruffwear harness. A friend of mine used it when her greyhound had cancer (inoperable) and his back end got extremely weak. It was a lifesaver for her! -- not many women can physically lift a big male houndie and this harness makes our assistance possible!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest corinnewynne

Thank you to all who responded. I am devastated at how prevalent osteosarcoma is in greyhounds. Curtis' story is just too common. I have been lifted by so many caring people who have given me such hope and so much good information. I will certainly pursue the OSU study. Thank you for that link! I'm told I may be given a sling at the hospital, but since Curtis is so big, I might go for the one I can purchase. Now that I've found greytalk, I'll be back!

Corinne

Guest CampWhippet

Corinne Wynne

Send me your address and I'll send you a sling. It was given to me by a GTr when a GH of mine could not walk for a week and I'd be happy to pay it forward. PM me with your address.

Jonathan

ETA: You can't send PMs yet. Drop me an email if you would like the sling. campwhippet at gmail.com

Edited by CampWhippet

Guest OurLacyandJax

So sorry to hear the news, Corinne. But you and Curtis are in good hands here. These folks in here, and in OSU are god-send. So good luck, keep us all updated, and prayers and good thoughts your way. Give him a bunch of hugs

Guest Yankeegreyhound

I'm so sorry you are going through this. You got a lot of great information here so I just wanted to say you are in my thoughts. We just had to amputate Sara's back leg. Not osteo but a different type of cancer. She's about 6 weeks post amputation and doing wonderfully. As a pp mentioned, it's harder on you than on tyem.

No advice. Just lots of good thoughts and prayers. You are going to get the most amazing amount of information and support from those who have walked this path before you. They are all so inspirational. Personally, I know that I would not choose the amp route but I am in complete awe of everyone on here who has made that choice and shown more love and compassion for their greys, and for each other than you might otherwise believe was out there in the world.

Thank you to all who responded. I am devastated at how prevalent osteosarcoma is in greyhounds. Curtis' story is just too common. I have been lifted by so many caring people who have given me such hope and so much good information. I will certainly pursue the OSU study. Thank you for that link! I'm told I may be given a sling at the hospital, but since Curtis is so big, I might go for the one I can purchase. Now that I've found greytalk, I'll be back!

Corinne

I don't believe you have posted whether it is a front or rear leg.

I just wanted to let you know that the Ruff Wear harness is wonderful for back leg amputees. I have been told by a couple of people that the way the harness fits is not good for front leg amputees that still have a sore incision. I did not try to use one for my front leg amputee. Perhaps others who have used it with a front leg amputees can chime in.

In this case a sling might be better. If you have a lot of steps to do, you can sew a strap to the middle and bring it around the remaining front leg and velcro it to the side of the sling. This keeps the sling from sliding toward the back end of the dog if they get ahead of you in going down the stairs.

Hope this helps. Let us know when the surgery will be and we will send positive thoughts for a safe surgery.

Jane

I'm so sorry you're going through this. We were in your shoes a little over two months ago. Our Lucy was diagnosed with osteo in January and her amp was early Feb. She's had three rounds of chemo and has three more to go. Even though it was hard those first few weeks and I questioned our decision, I now think we made the right choice. Lucy is happy, full of energy and pain-free. At two months post-amp, she runs in the yard, chases toys in the house, nips at me playfully if she wants attention, goes down the stairs (not up, yet), loves car rides and short walks and is full of life. She's one of the happiest dogs I've ever met, even as a tripod.

As others have mentioned, there's a lot of info in the Osteo thread. You will have lots of questions and there are plenty of people here who can help you get through those first few difficult weeks, so don't be shy if you need anything.

Jess

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest corinnewynne

To all who sent advice and support - Curtis had the surgery on Tuesday. All went well - we got to spend an hour with him at the hospital - he walked into the room (with a lot of help from the doctor and aide) and stretched out on the floor on the bed they brought in for him. Lots of TLC at the Animal Specialty Center, which we appreciated. He got comfortable with extra blankets and pillows they put around him to keep him somewhat sitting up. If all continues to go well, we'll bring him home tonight, and chemo will start in another 10 days after the staples are removed.

It is such a help to read your stories, and to know he can be happy again, although I know it's going to be hard. He had such trouble walking yesterday, but he was still a little loopy from the pain meds which were being lessened as of midnight. So today should be better. The harness will be a Godsend - I don't know how I'd get him up or down stairs or ramp without it. They have said we have to use tough love with him and not baby him too much - that's going to be so hard for us -

Dr. just called and said Curtis had a good night and wants to come home! Armed with all your good wishes and advice, we will bring him home.

Corinne

Yeah Curtis! Glad things seem to be going well! Good luck and keep up posted!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hoping Curtis is home & more comfortable for that.......I'm sure this next week or so will be very tough on you.

Know we are all thinking of you & praying your next update is a greyt one.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest corinnewynne

I just posted on the "osteo thread" - can't believe how many owners have to face the diagnosis of cancer in their dogs! But I am happy to report that 5 days after Curtis' amputation, he's really doing well. Getting him to go to the bathroom has been a little tough - not sure why he won't go when we bring him outside, but I can imagine that the whole stress of this situation might be part of it. But after several trips outside, he's successful. Maybe it just depends on how badly he has to go. Sometimes he does, sometimes, he doesn't!

The area looks like it's healing well, he's managing the ramp OK, today even without the harness, we just used the leash and his own collar. We removed the rear part of the harness to see if that helped the reluctance to pee, so now the front part of the harness slips around, and annoys him.

He seems comfortable most of the time, altho once in awhile, he lets out an awful cry of pain - and he might not even have moved to cause it. He's still taking pain med, so I'm not stopping it until these occasional painful cries stop.

All in all, we think it's amazing that he's doing so well, so quickly.

Corinne