Finally! Ibd

The vet finally got the blood work back today and said Huck has IBD. She wants to continue him on TOTW Pacific Stream and start B12 shots. She wants him to have 1 shot for 6 weeks and then 1 shot per month. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks so much, Nan

The vet finally got the blood work back today and said Huck has IBD. She wants to continue him on TOTW Pacific Stream and start B12 shots. She wants him to have 1 shot for 6 weeks and then 1 shot per month. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks so much, Nan

We sure do! B-12 will do wonders! Spencer has been getting those shots for two years, and we find that he does better when when he continues to get them every two weeks, which the internist says is fine. We give the shots at home because the needle is super-fine and just needs to go under the skin.

But how does one diagnose IBD with blood work?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Thanks for the e-mail. I do not know what they tested for with the blood work. I will see the vet tomorrow and am going to ask for the test results. I will post them. I do know she had to send them off and it took at least a week to get them back. I was just wondering about the food..15% crude fat looks a little high to me..but,she wants to keep him on TOTW Pacific Stream for now. Thanks

Oh, I forgot to say that the vet said she could not use a scope on him, that she would have to cut him open. She does not want to do this and is hoping the B12 shots will do the trick...Poor dog has always had a problem..first with the split molar from the track, then when other grey attacted him on his side and he had to have stitches and a drain and now this stomach issue..He is the most laid back and sweet boy you could ever meet. Thanks so much for the infomation and I will post when I get the blood work results.

I'm not sure what blood tests would determine IBD, but I agree with her about not wanting to scope him. She probably said to stay on TOTW if he is doing well with that. IBD really isn't about fat % or anything else like that. It's all about what foods your dog can tolerate, and which ones cause problems, and each dog is different. I am glad you have a diagnosis to work with!

Guest Energy11

Wow! I am SURE you are glad to FINALLY get a diagnosis! NO experience here with IBD ...

I wonder why Da Vid has had symptoms, too ???

Well, at least you know what is going on with Huck, and it can be treated! Good Luck!

Thanks for the e-mail. I do not know what they tested for with the blood work. I will see the vet tomorrow and am going to ask for the test results. I will post them. I do know she had to send them off and it took at least a week to get them back. I was just wondering about the food..15% crude fat looks a little high to me..but,she wants to keep him on TOTW Pacific Stream for now. Thanks

Oh, I forgot to say that the vet said she could not use a scope on him, that she would have to cut him open. She does not want to do this and is hoping the B12 shots will do the trick...Poor dog has always had a problem..first with the split molar from the track, then when other grey attacted him on his side and he had to have stitches and a drain and now this stomach issue..He is the most laid back and sweet boy you could ever meet. Thanks so much for the infomation and I will post when I get the blood work results.

Okay, I checked your prior thread, and blood work was done and came back good in late March. So this must've been the cobalamin/foalte test for malabsorption. And it's good to find out! But that's the first thing we learned about Spencer too, and I wanted to know what *caused* it. My vet didn't seem curious. I had to ask three times for his poop to be tested for bacteria, even had to tell her which one to look for (Clostridium perfringens), and it came back that he was way, way, way overloaded with it. That led to treatment with three antibiotics, one of which was metronidazole. Only later, via ultrasound, did we discover that somewhere along the line he had developed IBD. We and our vet didn't want to cut him open either, so we didn't. The cobalamin/folate test can indicate which part(s) of the intestines have the problem. Yours sounds like Spencer, which is where the small intestine meets the large one, and that's way too far in for an endoscope to reach from either end of the dog. So only surgery can get to that place, but it's so hard on the dog that I wouldn't do it except as a last resort. But if ever more is needed to be known about the conditions in there, non-invasive ultrasound can show a lot! Lots of good thoughts for you and your pup, and please do keep us posted.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Just wanted to pipe in here about the blood work. Often an IBD dog will show low blood proteins and low calcium on a chem panel. One thing to remember us that our hounds typically will have lower than "normal" blood proteins as a general rule of thumb so, one must take that into consideration when evaluating lab results.

As the mom of a hound who was diagnosed with ibd via open exploratory surgery, I am confused as to what type of blood test could show ibd???

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest kydie

My GSP has IBD,, and testing was done, for us anyway.. to check for malaborption,, but he was "scoped" and biopsy done for true diagnosis

Robin, I am going to post the results of the tests in a little while, but Texas A&M said his Cobalamin fasting result number was 179 ng/L and the range should be 251-908. They said the interpretation is: Consistent with distal small intestinal disease, EP, or small intertinal bacterial overgroth. Consider cobaiaime supplementation. (B12 shots) On the other test that was sent to Antech Diagnostics in Southaven, Ms the only number that is a little out of range is: Creatinine and it is 1.7 with the range of .05-1.6 mg/dl That is all I know now. She wants to keep everything the same, except to add the B12 shots. She wants me to finish out the Panacur and then have Kopectate (spelling??) on hand. Nan

Guest zaylea

I'm not sure what blood tests would determine IBD, but I agree with her about not wanting to scope him. She probably said to stay on TOTW if he is doing well with that. IBD really isn't about fat % or anything else like that. It's all about what foods your dog can tolerate, and which ones cause problems, and each dog is different. I am glad you have a diagnosis to work with!

Actually fat % *can* matter with IBD, depending on the type of inflammatory cells - Lymphocytic or Plasmacytic Eosinophllic. I don't think there's a way to tell for sure without a biopsy. If it's lymphocytic (i.e. Lymphangiectasia), the dog would need a low fat diet. If it's the other kind, then the diet just needs to be hypoallergenic.

What Zaylea says is true. Without having done the biopsy, but observing that Spencer didn't do well with a lot of fat, we just keep the fat content of his food very low.

Edited because I can't seem to post anymore without a typo!

Edited by greyhead