Once Or Twice A Day

Guest Alefone

Guest Alefone

It's been a couple of months that I am feeding Portia once a day (supper time only)with ACANA and I've noticed that her poop in the morning in way softer then the one at night.Right now,I have no idea where to turn and what to do anymore and I am thinking to start feeding her twice a day as before,it might be to much for her belly all at once to digest.

Let me know if you had same experience and how did you solve it and also do you prefer feeding your hound once or twice a day?:)

Thanks in advance:)

Twice a day is easier on their tums, I think - and more fun for them too given that eating is such a highlight of their day!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Large meals are thought to be one of the predisposing causes for bloat and GDV. I feed twice. I'd prefer to feed 3 times, but my schedule doesn't allow me to be very consistent with that. I reduce his meal sizes by providing kibble in his Kong and Tricky Treat Ball that he gets while I'm out. Keeps him occupied and lets me make his meals a little smaller most days.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Swifthounds

Large meals are thought to be one of the predisposing causes for bloat and GDV.

It's worth noting that where this is supported in studies, this is with a diet of solely kibble, not a track diet or a raw diet. It's no necessarily volume of food, but volume of a particular diet. Thousands of racing greyhounds eat one meal per day. Tens of thousands of raw fed dogs eat one meal daily - and thousands more feed a gorge and rest diet without issue, even in breeds far more bloat-prone than a greyhound.

Guest PawPrintsLife

We feed our greyhounds twice a day, using a very high-quality holistic food. In addition, our greys get three snacks a day. One snack consists of holistic antioxidant treats, one snack is holistic lowfat treats, and one snack is holistic dental treats. In addition, they get several holistic supplements each day (they think they're treats): a daily wellness supplement, a skin and coat supplement, a joint-support supplement, and a fish oil supplement.

All those products come from one company and are formulated by a holistic veterinarian to work beautifully together. And they're doing just that!

Our dogs have consistently excellent-quality feces, they don't have issues with vomiting, they maintain healthy weight, they have silky coats, and if they get scrapes and nicks in the back yard, they heal very quickly! The same is true for our cat, who gets all the corresponding cat products each day.snack

Rebecca Forrest

Logan (7-year-old male brindle)

Zelda (4-year-old female parti black)

Jordie (3-year-old male brindle)

Lucy (17-year-old female tabby cat--don't tell the dogs that she isn't a greyhound!)

I would definitely feed her twice a day. Too much kibble in the tummy at once can cause loose stool.

Edited to add, I feed 3 times a day but I know that won't work for some.:)

Edited by Greytlady94

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest dragontearz

We feed Oberon twice a day as that is what he was used to in the foster home, and it works for him- once at 7am, once at 6 pm. When we had Guinness,he was free fed, and had been for six years, from day one.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Once or else half my dogs reject their food... plus at the racing kennel we feed once and that's what they're used to.

I feed at night. I have several who wouldn't/won't eat in the morning. I've never even heard of a Greyhound bloating until I joined here, and still it's a rare event.

Edited by FastDogsOwnMe

Guest krystolla

I put food out twice a day for Hack, but he usually divides his meals into two so he's really eating 3-4 smaller meals per day.

Twice a day, for sure. When we are going to be out late at night, I split the evening meal in half and feed half at the regular time, and the rest when we get back home. So that would be 3 times on occasion.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest BrianRke

I actually feed my hounds 4 times a day. I work from home so I am able to do this. I would try to feed them atleast twice a day to reduce the risk of bloat.

Once a day since we feed raw as well. I think this is the preferred way to feed when you do a raw diet because you can offer them bigger pieces of food (better dental cleaning, jaw workout, etc.). The comparisons to the human way of eating are pretty flawed, as dog stomachs are actually more efficient when given larger meals more rarely. Of course a kibble diet is not what I would consider natural so I'd stick to twice a day for that.

Guest Stripeyfan

Kelly has IBD and doesn't absorb food as well as he should, plus he needs a ton of meds and supplements, so we give him 2 main meals and 'lunch' (plus a snack at bedtime!).

Guest bluefawn

I have always fed mine 2X a day. That is to say, I put the kibble in their bowls 2X per day. They pretty much eat when they want to. I also share my apples, pears, and cantaloupe with them. And sometimes a little plain yogurt. I also give them a frozen "chicken paw" (chicken foot) 2 - 3 times a week. They are gross, but I use kitchen scissors to cut off those long nails, and then drop them into one-quart freezer bags. I have always free-fed mine (kibble), and none were ever inclined to wolf down their food, although some of my fosters did that. I would say to gauge how you feed to how your greyhound eats, and what amount of food keeps him/her at the proper weight (although that is also often a point of contention here sometimes :)

Twice a day - 6:00 a.m. & 6:00 p.m.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest RaznNik

I feed raw twice a day. A mix in the morning (gobbled in 30 sec or so) and then larger pieces of meat/bone in the evening when I have more time. Why are raw feeders more often feeding once a day? Thanks, have only been feeding raw for just over a year.

Guest Houndstown

Pre does better with his weight if we feed twice a day. He's on thyroid pills so it's easier to keep weight on him this way. Sometimes we are lazy though or just really busy, especially when we're traveling to shows, and only feed once a day. It's bound to happen, but we strive for twice a day.