Otc Arthritis Supplement

Guest TexasGreytMom

Guest TexasGreytMom

We had been giving our Dora (10 years) Glucosamine/Chondroitin (1500mg/1200mg) all day extended release) 3 per day formula supplements, then when we noticed she again began to experience muscle stiffness/difficulty in getting up and moving in the morning, our vet put her on Previcox. She's been on 227mg per day for almost a year.

We'd like to get back to giving her a more natural supplement, but one that really works well for her.

Appreciate any recommendations you have! Thank you!

Best supplement I've seen in all my years in dogs is made by Springtime

My guys are on Joint Health (3 in the morning) and Fresh Factors (3 in the evening). We also have some very good alternative vets, Dr. Robinett being one of them certified by both the CHI Institute (acupuncture) and AVCA (chiropractic). VCRC

There is also Dr. Patricia Baley, DVM, PHD certified by the CHI Institute with certifications in acupuncture and chinese herbology. I use both vets and have for many years. (they are young, I am old :lol )

There are chinese herbs that help. Dot, who is 14, gets acupuncture and chiropractic treatments, takes the JH & FF and is on chinese herbs also.

Tony, who has valley fever, I believe has done so well due to acupuncture treatments and a special blend of herbs Dr. Baley concocted in the beginning of his treatment last fall.

Isaac, Mizzy & Huston get adjustments and Grace has been doing the treadmill at Dr. Robinett's rehab clinic just to keep her in shape (she's the youngster).

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Cosequine here, it's worked really well. You can find it a lot cheaper online than at the vet's.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I've been told that fresh raw chicken feet/duck feet will provide the glucosamine naturally, plus they get something wonderful to chew on!

Edit: I googled "glucosamine in chicken feet" and here's the first thing I got: Chicken feet are an excellent supplement as they contain Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Glucosamine aids in the repair and renewal of damaged or worn cartilage and Chondroitin helps neutralize the destructive enzymes and improves the quality of the synovial fluid. The natural combination of Glucosamine and Chondroitin is found to be most effective for joint treatment. In order to maintain joint health supplements are necessary for the life of the dog; if discontinued, the joint will revert back to a degenerative condition. NOTE: Never microwave meals as cooked bones are very dangerous to dogs. If you want to speed the thawing process, submerge the meal in cold water.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest TexasGreytMom

Wow, Diane! You have some really blessed pups to have a Mom that takes such good care of them! :) Got on the Springtime website and ordered both products you recommended. We'd just feel so much better having her on something a little less harsh to her system. We have to have her tested periodically to ensure the Previcox isn't doing any damage to her kidneys (and I believe her liver, too). Will report back after her supplements arrive and we've given them to her for a while. :)

Guest TexasGreytMom

Lisa -

Thanks for the info! Raw feeding is something that I've got to come to terms with in my own mind. I realize that it's a natural diet for our pups, but I just can't wrap my mind around the process of actually doing it - getting past the "ick" factor. I know ... I'm a wimp! :) I applaud those of you who do, and I may eventually join you! :) Thanks again!

Oops - didn't see the posts above Lisa's when I responded. Will definitely save your tips for future use if the supplements Diane recommended aren't beneficial for our Dora. That's what's so wonderful about this forum - everyone's willingness to share ideas and what works for them ... all ideas may not work for everyone, but it gives us the opportunity to consider alternatives. Thanks again to everyone for responding!

I can't manage to raw feed, either. But I do occasionally give her raw feet as treats. And since they're also really good for her, I can kill two birds with one stone! As a regular supplement, I don't know how many to give, though. I could find out if anyone is interested.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance