How Much Soft Food

Idol has to be on soft food for two weeks. If I give her canned food, how much do you think she should eat? She weighs 59 lbs.

After Paul's last dental, I gave he one can in the morning and evening and he looked thin after a few days. I then began grinding and wetting kibble for him, but, I blew up my grinder doing it.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Depending on her calorie needs and the food's calorie content, @ 1-1.5 cans twice a day.

As OwnedBySummer notes, you can soak kibble till it's soft -- it takes a LOT of water and a couple hours. If I need to do it, I put the kibble in its water in the fridge overnight, then warm quickly in the microwave before feeding. Flat kibbles take up water faster than round ones.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Depending on her calorie needs and the food's calorie content, @ 1-1.5 cans twice a day.

As OwnedBySummer notes, you can soak kibble till it's soft -- it takes a LOT of water and a couple hours. If I need to do it, I put the kibble in its water in the fridge overnight, then warm quickly in the microwave before feeding. Flat kibbles take up water faster than round ones.

Thats a good idea. I can prepare it tonight for tomorrow morning. Thanks guys.

Give yourself enough room in the bowl for the expansion! I'm sure we've all seen that one random kibble in the sink strainer which grew to incredible proportions. :lol A whole bowl of it grows a lot!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Give yourself enough room in the bowl for the expansion! I'm sure we've all seen that one random kibble in the sink strainer which grew to incredible proportions. :lol A whole bowl of it grows a lot!

That's actually interesting. If she normally eats a cup and 1/2, would you drop it down to one cup expanded?

Guest mcsheltie

That's actually interesting. If she normally eats a cup and 1/2, would you drop it down to one cup expanded?

No need to. You want to feed the same amount or he'll get skinny. Added moisture content will not cause any harm. When I feed kibble I always float it in water.

Saturating the food overnight worked very well. She is eating much slower than usual, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Idol definitely looks less puffy this morning.

if you use warm/hot water, it soaks up within 15 minutes. My Onyx couldn't have crunchy foor after her LP surgery. So, I'd start it soaking before I did anything else. Then by the time I finished getting all the other girls fed (Onyx preferred her dinner in bed) I would give the moist kibble to her.

Also, there is something called Pet Select dog food. It looks like a log of balogna. Many supermarkets now carry it. It would be in the dogfood aisle in a special fridge. It's cooked but soft. I used to sliver slice it like bologna and Onyx loved it that way.