Flea Prevention

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest Swifthounds

I'm talking about people who live in flea- and tick-heavy environments, whose dogs regularly get fleas and ticks, who choose not to treat them but to live with the infestation and spread it around wherever they go.

Not that those folks don't exist, but even I would be surprised to find them on GT.

I have no problem with things that are neurotoxic to insects :) .

Correctly stated, they are more neurotoxic to insects than other living things - and fatally so. They are still neurotoxic to things with a neurological system, just not fatally.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol

At a high enough dose, most everything is neurotoxic. People have tried to kill themselves by ingesting massive quantities of fipronil. Note that word, "tried."

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

:lol

At a high enough dose, most everything is neurotoxic. People have tried to kill themselves by ingesting massive quantities of fipronil. Note that word, "tried."

At least they know now that they aren't seizure prone.:)

It does work for us, that is all I know.If you don't think it WILL work or don't want to try it, that is up to you! why don't you Google lavender and see what you can find out. all I know is we do live in a flea area and since using this, we don't have them anymore. No one is harmed or poisoned, no one has a bad reaction and no one gets sick. THAT is good enough for me!

Johnson & Johnson Lavender Baby powder, we will NEVER be with out it in our house!

Guest LindsaySF
If people with no flea/tick problems want to put various harmless substances on their pets, fine with me. I just don't want those who DO have those problems thinking that those substances are useful.

Ditto. Powders, special oils, DE, etc.

I used to be afraid to put Frontline on Sophie, for fear it would induce a seizure. I tried some "natural" products, with no success. Then we got fleas, indoor cats got infected, and we had to bomb the house. rolleyes.gif Sophie's neurologist says he doesn't know of one dog under his care that has seizures as a direct result of flea/tick prevention. He thinks the connection is over-hyped, and says Frontline is safe for seizure dogs. Sophie now gets it every month, and it has never induced a seizure....

Guest Swifthounds

I've not seen (or heard any credible evidence of) a dog having a seizure as a result of Frontline. Drooling, pacing, and agitation and other neurological signs, yes. The only seizure I've seen after Frontline contact was in a vet tech and she stayed away from Frontline after that. The worst thing about Frontline is how long it took to kill fleas at best case scenario, and how little it seems to be working for folks now. If you want to kill fleas fast and break the cycle quickly, Advantage is the way to go.

As for the use of "natural" products and methods, the mistake is in the conceptualization of carcinogenic bug kill powders and applications and the "top" spot treatment thinking that followed. A more natural approach to pests has to be a holistic approach to the whole dog. You can't expect to feed a carb laden kibble diet, overvaccinate the dog, make it unhealthy overall and sprinkle DE or an oil or whatnot and have it work magic. Health is neither a miracle nor a quick fix application.

Diane, might be worth a dose of Knockout on the yard every other month or so? Some people seem to have good results from Preventic collars as well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.