Pumpkin ... Or Gold?

Guest TexasGreytMom

Guest TexasGreytMom

Decided to go back to adding a little canned pumpkin (100%, not the pie filling) to the girls' food, rather than the yogurt we'd been adding.

Goodness, was I shocked at the price! I recall hearing that orange juice prices would increase, but I didn't even consider that canned pumpkin would. I just don't recall it being this pricey. Today at Walmart I paid $1.68 for the small can of Libby's. What are the prices like in your area?

I bought 24 cans (12 for the kennel) at Whole Foods last week 4 for $5.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest KennelMom

If you're using it as flavor/treat, that's pretty expensive! I'd use something cheaper. If you're using to as a fiber source to firm up poop, find a cheaper fiber source. You can pretty much use anything even metamucil.

Guest Swifthounds

If you're using it as flavor/treat, that's pretty expensive! I'd use something cheaper. If you're using to as a fiber source to firm up poop, find a cheaper fiber source. You can pretty much use anything even metamucil.

:nod

Better yet, try eliminating the irritant.

Guest TexasGreytMom

Thanks for sharing the pricing, everyone!

There's a Whole Foods about an hour away and I'll try to get there this weekend and stock up. That price is amazing!

Would have never thought to give the pups Metamucil for firming things up - I love how I learn something new each time I log onto this forum!

:colgate:colgate:colgate:colgate:colgate:colgate

Guest FullMetalFrank

It's pretty spendy here, too. Cheapest I have found is Western Family at 2.39 a can. I bought a bunch of yams today to cook up in some homemade chicken broth to add in once in awhile. they LOOOOOVVVEEE their pumpkin but I bet they like this even more!

Thanks for sharing the pricing, everyone!

There's a Whole Foods about an hour away and I'll try to get there this weekend and stock up. That price is amazing!

Would have never thought to give the pups Metamucil for firming things up - I love how I learn something new each time I log onto this forum!

:colgate:colgate:colgate:colgate:colgate:colgate

I used to use psyllium from Trader Joe's, but once I started feeding raw, there has not been a problem w/loose poops (and I cannot express how grateful I am for that!).

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Walmart had pumpkin on sale a couple months ago and I stocked up. Haven't looked at prices recently, but like everything else it has probably gone up.

june

Guest Profgumby

I think as the fuel prices rise, so will the cost of everything. Add that with the signs on store shelves about weather causing "shortages" and increased prices (read that as, "because we can")we will see many things increase in price...

:blink:

Guest Swifthounds

I think as the fuel prices rise, so will the cost of everything. Add that with the signs on store shelves about weather causing "shortages" and increased prices (read that as, "because we can")we will see many things increase in price...

:blink:

Also, the previous season where the pumpkin population was decimated factors into availability and price.

Guest FullMetalFrank

The sweet potato experiment was a huge success! I roasted the whole sweet potatoes in about a cup of homemade chicken stock then mashed it all up together and packaged it up for the refrigerator. The hounds were swarming all around me while I was putting it away, and they got their first taste with today's lunch. Nom nom nom... happy houndies! Cost-wise I figured my treat to be about half the cost of canned pumpkin; plus I snagged a couple of little potatoes to make sweet potato risotto for our dinner. Next time I make it I will do a big batch and freeze some.

The sweet potato experiment was a huge success! I roasted the whole sweet potatoes in about a cup of homemade chicken stock then mashed it all up together and packaged it up for the refrigerator. The hounds were swarming all around me while I was putting it away, and they got their first taste with today's lunch. Nom nom nom... happy houndies! Cost-wise I figured my treat to be about half the cost of canned pumpkin; plus I snagged a couple of little potatoes to make sweet potato risotto for our dinner. Next time I make it I will do a big batch and freeze some.

I started cooking sweet potatoes a few months ago along with other veggies and meat to supplement kibble and have been VERY happy with the results - NO gas and firm poop. Here's a good treat recipe you might want to try sometime:

2 c mashed sweet potato

1 -2 mashed bananas

4 eggs and shells (ground in the blender)

1 cup cooked and chopped beef liver

old fashioned oats - mix till cookie dough consistency

Bake and cut into squares.

Your nose will be so confused by the smell but your dogs will ADORE these :)

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest FullMetalFrank

Thanks for the recipe, I bet they'd love those! We also dry sweet potatoes in the dehydrator for a crunchy/chewy treat. I slice and par cook the potatoes a little, pat them dry and put them on for about 16-24 hours. Mine all love them.

Guest dragontearz

I went to buy pumpkin to put in Oberon's food, and for the third straight week, Krogers has been out of pumpkin altogether! Was there a shortage somewhere I didn't pay attention to?

Guest FullMetalFrank

I think last year the pumpkin crop was damaaged somehow and there was a shortage in some areas. I have had a hard time finding pumpkin at some stores; others seeem to have it. Our Fred Meyer (a Kroger owned store) never seems to have it; unless you want to go to the organic aisle and pay 4 bucks for a small can :eek

Guest Swifthounds

I think last year the pumpkin crop was damaaged somehow and there was a shortage in some areas.

Yep. It was all the excessive rain in the growing season and it affected the particular pumpkins they use for eating and not the decorational pumpkins (or at least affected them less), so it wasn't noticeable to consumers except on the shelves as it ran out. Restaurants and commercial food prep get their pumpkins first,and what makes it to the shelf is whatever is left.