Gus' No-Go Dental

Guest HoundyGirl

Guest HoundyGirl

Gus, 5 year old grey, was supposed to have his dental today. I'd made the appointment last weekend after having Gus in to the vet for his yearly checkup and shots. Well, we get there today, and I requested to see the vet doing the dental. He said he didn't feel comfortable doing the dental without a prophylactic course of antibiotics first. Of course, I said whatever's best for Gus we'll do, so we scheduled a new appointment for next Friday. This vet said that he likes to put greyhounds on antibiotics before the dental because they usually have such bad dental disease. It's clear from just looking at his teeth that he's got dental disease, so why didn't the vet from last weekend put him on the antibiotic?

This just highlights a problem I have with my vet practice, and that's that I never see the same vet twice. In the past I've always been to clinics where we were assigned to a specific vet and always saw that person except maybe in emergencies. Ever since I moved down here to NC, it's been you get who you get at both clinics I've tried. Is this a regional difference or simply that both places I've tried have operated this way? And would you change vet clinics yet again to try to find one where there is a more continuous standard of care?

Also, Gus was diagnosed with hookworms last weekend. The vet on duty told me that one dose of Drontal Plus would do the trick. I came home and immediately went on here where I found out that, as I suspected, you need to do a course of worming treatments with hookworms. So I brought it up this morning and this vet said oh yes, you need another dose of Dontal for Gus and you need two doses for your other dog, Daisy. And last weekend I had specifically asked about Daisy and whether she needed to be dewormed and was told no. This lack of continuity or standards of care really bothers me. Would it bother you, too?

Both vets that we've been to have had multiple doctors. Anytime I make an appointment, I say specifically, "I need to make an appointment for ________ to see Dr. _________."

When you make your appointments, could you just specify that you'd like to see a specific doctor? I'm guessing the people that make the appointments just don't take the time to look back and see if you see someone particular all the time.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Swifthounds

Someone owns/runs the practice. Find out who Nd raise your concerns with that person.

You can usually request to only see a particular vet ( for non emergencies). They can put a note in your file and you can tell them when you request an appointment that you only want to see Dr. So-and-so.

Guest Wasserbuffel

My vet staff always ask which Dr. I want to see with the dog and cats. Not so much with the birds as there is only one that does birds.

Give the vet credit for wanting him on antibiotics. I would research which vet does the greyhounds or look for a greyhound specific vet. Check with other greyhound people. Check out the vets history with greyhound dental and surgery.

Most of all, pick one of the vets to be your vet.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

HoundyGirl, what city in NC are you in? Maybe we can suggest a different vet clinic for you. :)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest HoundyGirl

HoundyGirl, what city in NC are you in? Maybe we can suggest a different vet clinic for you. :)

I'm in Greenville. Any suggestions would be welcome. The biggest city near us is Raleigh which is about an hour and 20 minutes West.

The vet I saw this morning seems to be ok. I'll work with him if you all don't know of anyone better. I was really glad he knew enough about greyhound dental problems to advise doing the antibiotic first. It was only a minor inconvenience to me to have to reschedule, but it could've been a major health risk to Gus had he not said anything.

Thanks!

Guest happygrey

Yes, it definitely would bother me. Especially with the way they canceled the dental appt. on you last minute. As you mentioned, why didn't they start them a week before the appt. the first time you were in there?

I'd definitely do one of 2 things: 1) ask to see whichever specific vet you've met before and liked most (if there is one) for any future appts. or 2) find another practice.

Best of luck with the dental next week!

Edited by happygrey

I'd speak to the head of the practice. They should (and probably do) have standard procedures in place for someone as common as a dental. I know my vet clinic puts ALL animals on antibiotics before a dental. Even if they don't have disease, there's always the risk of nicking their gums with the instruments and potentially introducing icky crud into the nick (OK, so that's not very scientific, but you catch my drift!).

I'd be ticked off if I'd already been for my predental check up and then showed up for the dental and got turned away. ! I hope you didn't have to pay for the second visit?

It's equally absurd that you weren't given the correct amount of Drontal, and that the first doctor didn't give you some for your other animals. That should be part of their standard procedures too.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

If possible, start specifying which vet you want. And even if that vet isn't available, you should be able to name vets you don't want. If last weekend's vet made both errors--omitting the antibiotics and ignoring the need for Drontal for Daisy--simply tell the receptionist that you don't want that vet because he's missed a couple of basic things and thus put your dogs at risk. It's entirely possible that that particular vet is just a hazard.

And if you liked today's vet, just ask for him when you call for an appointment. When I call, I ask "When can Dr Tison see Sam?" and go on from there. And when Dr T isn't available (we needed him today), I make the decision whether I want to see another vet or wait, depending on what's up with the dogs. (Sam was in pain, so we saw another vet.) I've also pretty much memorized Dr T's schedule, since that gives me a better idea whether we'll wait or take whatever vet is available. For a dental, my guys will always have Dr Tison since he's aware of Sam's issues under anesthesia.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)