Momo's Corn Saga Continues

Lucy MoMo will definitely be in my thoughts. I hope this the fix for her that you are hoping for!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I have had corn problems with my 6 yr old grey.

I had never heard of corns before so at first i thought his limping was due to an old injury but low and behold after rymadel didn't help the limp someone mentioned that i may want to check for corns...

CORNS! Nasty little buggers they were at the start!

After finding the problem i addressed it immediately!

I did my research and tryed the duct tape, which utterly failed for me.

I bought the bootys but tom would not walk in them.

Finally i settled for a mixture of weekly demeling and mosterizer.

Olive oil is fair but the corn cream from Marys Apothecary (i think thats the name) is the best for mosterizing.

The treatment itself was to long for Tom and did not address the immediate pain which was what i was worried about, so i settled for the system above.

His 6 SCARY corns have now been reduced to 2 shrinking ones and nomore have popped up since i began using the mosterizer (corn cream)

GOOD LUCK! these things are nasty!

-raqi

MoMo had the second surgery to remove this corn yesterday and came through it beautifully. She was whiny when I picked her up at the vet's office and I was concerned that she was in pain. Later it became clear that she was mostly hungry. She settled to nap after eating a light supper, only getting up to take her meds and grab the chicken breast off my dinner plate. <_<

This morning she is her bouncy and happy self. :D She's still not putting much weight on that foot but I would not expect her to at this point since it must be quite painful still. The vet said that he's gotten 2+ millimeter margins of healthy tissue on the sides of the corn and had gone all the way down to the toe tendon so there is every reason to think that he got all the corn tissue.

She's got antibiotics and pain meds and I"m to do daily bandage changes. I'm home with her today--ostensibly doing yard work on a gorgeous spring day but mostly nursing MoMo and keeping my fingers crossed that she is going to recover well and we'll never see that stinking corn again!

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest Frannie

Hi, it's good to see so much discussion of this here. Mable is the Corn Poster Child. Right now, she has six large corns. All four feet are affected. She has had multiple surgeries on previous corns, but yes, the surgery is very painful and invasive, the recovery time is long, and they grow back. She has been on zithromax (the thinking on this was that the corns were caused by a weakened immune system, and the zithro would give it a nudge.) She was violently allergic to it.

She wears Therapaws on all four feet. She is crippled without the boots, which my vet has advised me not to leave on her feet 24/7 (and in the summer, they are VERY hot!)

I constantly worry about her. Last night she woke me up, hobbling from room to room, unable to settle down. I can only guess that she was in tremendous pain. I have a call into my grey-savvy vet to ask about hulling. Meanwhile, I kind of live in a state of subclinical heartbreak over this.

We've had two corn dogs. One had them on both back feet. He was miserable on pavement so we finally just bandaged him so he could go for a walk. Barefooted he did fine as long as he was on grass or carpet. Someone actually made booties for him b/c this was long before the days of Therapaws (1990) or when anyone made them for greyhound-shaped feet.

More recently, Rita had a corn on her back feet. I read some old threads here and decided to give her bee propolis pills. One day I noticed it peeling off on its own. If it comes back, I may try the azithromycin. I see evidence of corn circles on three feet today but she's not limping - yet anyway. (I wonder if she has a mere callus.)

The poster's dog had taken the azithromycin it for bad teeth or gums and co-incidentally the dog's corns went away. Rita sometimes has funky breath so it might hit two things at once. I guess I could give her the propolis again too.

It's odd; no other breed of dog gets corns. Leave it to the greyhounds - different in every way - but we love them anyway. :kiss2

Edited by MZH

MoMo's healing is going pretty well. The stitches are holding so far and there is no discharge or foul smell. However, I'm having the dickens of a time keeping her off that foot. Daily bandage changes continue to reveal a small amount of dried blood on the gauze padding, so I'm afraid she's being too bouncy and active. The trouble is that she does it even in the house. She was spinning and jumping up on me this morning. :unsure I'm trying to keep a lid on her exuberance because I really want this pad to heal well. I may have to resort to keeping her leashed up even in the house.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest katethegreyt

I always am interested in these corn threads. I had never even heard of dogs having corns until coming on GT. I've asked around here at events and things, and no one (at least in our group that I've asked) has ever had a greyhound have a corn. I keep wondering if they are at least partly environmental since we really don't seem to have them here??????? Even the dogs that have come from other parts of the country (of my 5 two were not bred in the NW/Oregon) don't seem to develope them.

This makes me feel a little better (except if you live in a lucky region because I live nowhere near there, haha). After seeing all the threads on here, I started thinking maybe corns aren't as rare as I thought, and they sound so terrible. My girl has a limp that pops up every now and again, and I keep hoping it's not a dreaded corn and is just due to her formerly broken bone that sent her into retirement. She's usually just a tad off (something I think most people wouldn't notice who haven't spent years obsessing over horse lamenesses, like me, or dog lamenesses like many on here), but it's intermittently worse on certain surfaces (like asphalt). I have poked and prodded all of her paw pads and have looked very hard after a soak, but I can't see anything. Still, sometimes her symptoms seem very similar to what I read on these corn threads! It's so strange that greys are the only breed to get them...

Sounds like MoMo is doing super well after surgery compared to a lot of surgery stories I've read. Good luck! Maybe you'll be the lucky one who never sees another corn!

I have had corn problems with my 6 yr old grey.

I had never heard of corns before so at first i thought his limping was due to an old injury but low and behold after rymadel didn't help the limp someone mentioned that i may want to check for corns...

CORNS! Nasty little buggers they were at the start!

After finding the problem i addressed it immediately!

I did my research and tryed the duct tape, which utterly failed for me.

I bought the bootys but tom would not walk in them.

Finally i settled for a mixture of weekly demeling and mosterizer.

Olive oil is fair but the corn cream from Marys Apothecary (i think thats the name) is the best for mosterizing.

The treatment itself was to long for Tom and did not address the immediate pain which was what i was worried about, so i settled for the system above.

His 6 SCARY corns have now been reduced to 2 shrinking ones and nomore have popped up since i began using the mosterizer (corn cream)

GOOD LUCK! these things are nasty!

-raqi

Oh that's right. Murray's Apothecary has invented the corn cream. I think they're doing a study of it with OSU.