Canine Cpr

Okay, this video is a little disturbing. It shows a dog collapsing BUT the reason I thought it worth sharing was that it shows actual CPR being performed on a dog that was in distress. Don't worry it has a happy ending!!! but it shows how to really do CPR on a real dog, which I found very valuable...

Please do not click if you think you will be upset by the sight of

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Thank you for posting that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest CampWhippet

Very good thing to know.

My wife is trained in it and tried in on Kent but it wasn't enough. The fact that she knew what to do and tried means a lot though.

Guest ThunderPaws

Glad the dog in the video is ok!

There seem to be different ways to do CPR? I learned Pet CPR more like this way:

or

Edited by ThunderPaws

I don't want to take anything away from the original video as what the trainer did obviously worked for that dog, and I'm glad the dog recovered. However, I would not use that as a 'how-to' demonstration for CPR.

The video ThunderPaws posted is a good demo of how CPR should be done appropriately. And as stated in the video, CPR should only be done if there is no breathing and no pulse. The boxer in the first video was obviously not breathing, but I don't remember seeing anyone checking for a heart beat or pulse. As he was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy later, I suspect his heart never stopped and he may have had an arrhythmia (irregular heart beat).

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I've been searching for current CPR techniques on dogs but can only find ones that include rescue breathing. Adult CPR no longer includes rescue breathing, just chest compressions, so I wonder if that is true for canines. Does anyone know?

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross