Flipping Bowl Or Trying To Cover Food

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Cobb sometimes tries to flip his food bowl or bites at the edges in what I believe is his attempt to flip it. It's like he's trying cover his food. Does anyone have any insight as to why dogs do this?

Saving it for later. Cash will do this when she's feeling anxious and doesn't want to eat. If given the freedom and opportunity, she will cover her bowl like she's burying it. I have also seen her take kibble out of her bowl and hide it in the living room under beds and blankets. The other dogs really like it when she does this! Mom not so much!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Mine don't do it with food in it, they do it after they've eaten. I guess they like to play with them.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest MorganKonaAlex

In Cobb's case, it when the bowl is full. At breakfast more than dinner. I suspect he has an upset stomach or something like that.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Some dogs don't eat breakfast... I have a few who would do the same. I just stopped morning feeding and problem solved! :)

I had a foster that would do that. I guess it was just nerves, though she didn't seem like a particularly anxious dog. Drove me nuts because I put water in the food and she'd dump it out and I'd have to change the bedding. I only had her in my house for two days, but I don't think she did it at her next foster home. :dunno

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest HHHounds

Our food dishes are in elevated stands so they cannot be flipped. However, Vanilla will take a mouthful, spit it out on the rug and then eat it bit by bit... If any food was hidden, Candyman our "chow" hound who will eat anything, would find it!

Guest wmlcml6

Rosemary and Stranger do this and it drives us nuts. It's because they don't want to eat just yet, but they don't want any other dogs to eat it either.

Guest avadogner

My senior girl Ava started pushing away dishes as her hip and back pain worsened. She would push them as far away from her bed as possible and did it until her nose bleeds. We had to change her diet due to the poor feeding which the recipe has has a bottle on Ensure Plus Vanilla in it. I have to coach every bite in her. I hold her bowl and she eats what she can and then I take it away and try again a couple hours later. Our vet changed her meds so now she is perking up and eating better. I still have to sit down and hold the bowl. i also have to wipe her mouth every couple bites (it's like eating lunch with a fine lady with great table manners). Thank goodness, she now eats the bowl in one sitting and doing much better.

Before she got sick, she would take bites from the standing feeder bowl and drop them on the floor. Then she would eat them off the floor. My new boy does this too. He is one messy piggie. He rolls the Kong around and dumps out all the treats at one time and them nibbles on them during the day. We free feed because when we did timed feeds, Augie would eat so fast he would barf later. Not fun for any of us.

-ava and augie's mum

I am so blessed! My girls dance around me while I prepare their food and as soon as it is put down they snarf it up and lick the bowls! I'm not letting them read this post as I don't want to give them any ideas :P

june

Guest nanzi

We had a mixed breed small herder rescue that did that.....but only when we were camping. She drove us nuts

covering her food and water with dirt, sticks, pine needles. We just put the food up in the cooler, and delivered

clean water several times a day. She didn't want to share with any woods critters we thought.