Bad Gas, Bad Smelling Poop

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

My DH has had it. We've had our two new girls for about 7 months. First month or two, they were on Nutro (I think!) Lamb & Rice, but their poops weren't very firm.

We had read good things about Taste of the Wild, so I got the Pacific Stream variety (kibble), which gives them glossy coats as well as glossy poop (I mean, it generally looks very healthy). They love their food, but DH hates it because:

- the food itself is smelly

- their farts are no better (may in fact be worse-- we come home every time from being out or from work, and it just smells in our house like they've been laying around farting all day)

- their poop is really smelly

Has anyone else had this problem with Pacific Stream? Should we try switching to a different protein (grain free is better, right?)?

Advice to cut down on the gas?

All suggestions welcome! Thank you in advance!

- Swiftie and Greta's mom

I think most people think a farty smelling house is just part of having greyhounds. I know I did until I switched foods for a totally different reason and the noxious gassy emissions went away. I've got mine on TOTW Pacific Stream right now and now when there is the rare paint peeling gas I know something is wrong and I give a tsp of Manuka honey before meals until things settle down. Find a food that agrees with her better and I bet the gas goes away.

Guest mbfilby

just like humans, a diet too rich in protein will cause foul gas in dogs. Try yogurt or a probiotic. If that does not help, look for a food with a lower protein content.

Sometimes if the dog food is too rich or "concentrated" they can get bad gas. If your dog does not have a grain allergy it shouldn't matter whether it is grain free or not -

My two greyhounds get "people food" like beef chunks, oatmeal, rice, and veggies and they very rarely get gas (almost never).

Guest BrianRke

My DH has had it. We've had our two new girls for about 7 months. First month or two, they were on Nutro (I think!) Lamb & Rice, but their poops weren't very firm.

We had read good things about Taste of the Wild, so I got the Pacific Stream variety (kibble), which gives them glossy coats as well as glossy poop (I mean, it generally looks very healthy). They love their food, but DH hates it because:

- the food itself is smelly

- their farts are no better (may in fact be worse-- we come home every time from being out or from work, and it just smells in our house like they've been laying around farting all day)

- their poop is really smelly

Has anyone else had this problem with Pacific Stream? Should we try switching to a different protein (grain free is better, right?)?

Advice to cut down on the gas?

All suggestions welcome! Thank you in advance!

- Swiftie and Greta's mom

I had this same problem with my 3 greys. I switched them to Nutro Natural Choice Venison Meal & Whole Brown Rice. It is for sensitive skin and stomachs. Since then, my house has been odor free. They still pass gas every now and then but it has no smell. Their poops have been nice and firm as well.

just like humans, a diet too rich in protein will cause foul gas in dogs. Try yogurt or a probiotic. If that does not help, look for a food with a lower protein content.

:nodMany expensive highly touted foods are just too rich for many greys. Grain free is the new "no corn wheat or soy" mantra and IMO a crock engineered to sell high dollar food to people that want to drink the Kool Ade that the more they spend the better for the dog. Not always the case.

I think most people think a farty smelling house is just part of having greyhounds. I know I did until I switched foods for a totally different reason and the noxious gassy emissions went away.

After having many many greys here both long and short term I have never had a farty smelling house.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest WhenIGiveIn

I know EXACTLY what you mean! When my neice was living with me she fed that food to her huskies and OMG the smell was horrible! I could even tell in the backyard when I was scooping if I picked up her dogs poo.

I finally convinced her she should try a different flavor and started feeding the prarie formula and same health effects but the smell was cut down dramatically.

Guest lynne893

Thank you everyone-- since a few of you recommended venison, we bought Nutro's Venison & Brown Rice formula today. They gobbled it down, of course, but the proof is in the pudding! (No pun intended. Ok, I lie :)

I want to apologize if it appeared that I was doubting the problem you think you might be having with the TOTW Pacific Stream when I posted my dogs were doing well with it. I actually meant it as a recommendation. I hadn't read your post closely enough and missed that this was what you were feeding. I hope your able to find something that works.

I hope I'm not jinxing myself. When I read posts like this I count my blessings. All of my dogs have had the occasional stinky fart (usually in the car, of course!) but mostly we don't and haven't had any problems. I feed kibble and add cooked chicken (cooked with a variety of fresh veggies) and Omega 3 oils to their meals. I'm sure I've just been lucky and as I said I'm counting my blessings. I don't have any advice, just lots of sympathy

:(

june