Anxiety/restlessness On Fentanyl Patch

Guest juliagulia630

Guest juliagulia630

We have an appointment on Monday with Dr. Couto at OSU. However, I can't get James comfortable in the meantime. We have tried Tramadol and fentanyl both with restless results. We ended up taking the fentantyl patch off last night after he wouldn't laydown for 5 hours. Now he is laying down grooming himself, he ate breakfast,did his business outside, but is panting and looks uncomfortable to me. He is on Deramaxx and gabapentin.

Do I bring him to OSU today and admit him under the pain team? Or try to get through today/tonight? Know that James hates vet's office and stresses easily.

Has anyone else had betterbluck with other meds??

If you get him admitted to OSU they will give give him stronger medicine that will make him comfortable. I drive my greyhounds up from Memphis Tn and I would start driving now if he was my greyhound.

I hope that helps. Hugs to James.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Our Charlie was very restless with Tramadol and seemed to have some issues with the patch as well. We found Gabapentin worked better but we were lucky that we found a good balance between the three. I know some pups it is more difficult to do and that is probably what is happening with James. It's a tough decision on what to do but if you feel he is in pain, then I suggest going back to OSU and dropping him off. They are much more accustomed to this as I know it can be very trying for you and stressful. Even if he hates vets offices, it's a toss up because if he is in pain and reacts badly to the meds, what's worse, stress or pain? I believe the pain is worse especially if he has Osteo (that is my assumption - is that the diagnosis or do you not know yet?).

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

How bad was he on the Tramadol? I ask only because the first time Joseph had it, I swore I would never use it again. But then I tried starting him at 25mg, and giving another 25 after @ an hour. Et voila! Helped his pain (not osteo, not even close) and didn't produce the freaky response.

Sending hugs and best wishes.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

There are other narcotics used for pain management for people, but don't know which are used with dogs. If he had a bad reaction to Fentanyl, he may do okay on something different.

Sorry the fentanyl isn't working.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Energy11

If it were my dog, and I lived close enough to OSU .. heck yes, I'd go.

They are obviously EXPERTS on greyhounds, and, they will know what to do for your guy. Good luck and lots of love and prayers!

Guest d0ggiem0mma

If they gave him a fentanyl patch, that tells me the vets believe he is in SIGNIFICANT pain. I know they haven't given you an official diagnosis, but assuming that it is osteo (or for that matter any kind of bone eating lesion) it is very painful. Deramaxx isn't going to put a dent in that kind of pain

I would have him admitted at OSU. They can give him the good drugs so he's not in pain and he probably won't care that he's in the hospital while on those kind of drugs.

P.S. Bring a coat or a blanket if you do go in. The waiting room is very chilly on the weekends!

Guest juliagulia630

MUCH better day off opiods. This whole time I thought he was getting worse when it was just the medicine making him act crazy. He slept all day, got up to follow me, ate his food/treats, tried to run after Deer (thank goodness for the leash!), and played with his stuffed frog. I am hoping we get some answers tomorrow at OSU. We are going prepared but optimistic!

Glad to hear James and you had a good day. We'll have you both in our thoughts tomorrow and will cross fingers and paws things go well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sorry I have been out of touch because I continue (still!!!!) to have intermittent connectivity issues.

I am not able to come to OSU tomorrow (Monday) to be with you but I am often available. If you need to come back to OSU and want some company, just call.

If you have questions on amp and chemo at OSU, I have been through it with my greyhound Joe. Please feel free to call me.

If you are at OSU and see a Kate at the front desk (she typically starts at about 4 pm) say hi if it isn't packed. She also has a greyhound and whippets.

Jane

614-523-0754

Guest TBSFlame

We have an appointment on Monday with Dr. Couto at OSU. However, I can't get James comfortable in the meantime. We have tried Tramadol and fentanyl both with restless results. We ended up taking the fentantyl patch off last night after he wouldn't laydown for 5 hours. Now he is laying down grooming himself, he ate breakfast,did his business outside, but is panting and looks uncomfortable to me. He is on Deramaxx and gabapentin.

Do I bring him to OSU today and admit him under the pain team? Or try to get through today/tonight? Know that James hates vet's office and stresses easily.

Has anyone else had betterbluck with other meds??

We went through the same thing with our first boy. After the fentanyl patch didn't work we had to let him go. We didn't go to OSU so prehaps they will be able to help with something new. Good thoughts for you today. :grouphug