Help! Grey In Pain

Guest juliagulia630

Guest juliagulia630

I need some help! James was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (possibily)on Tuesday. He has been on Tramadol and Dermamaxx. He is whinning in pain and can't settle. His last dose of tramadol was at 830p (3 hours ago). Can I re-dose since he is so uncomfortable? I can't reach my vet!

Just a quick note...Tramadol can cause some dogs to act usual - restless, agitated, panting, etc. This behavior can be difficult to distinguish from pain. If he gets worse instead of better with the Tramadol, I wouldn't immediately assume you are having trouble managing the pain. Talk to your vet about other pain management options and try him off the Tramadol for a few days. Hope James is feeling better!

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Just a quick note...Tramadol can cause some dogs to act usual - restless, agitated, panting, etc. This behavior can be difficult to distinguish from pain. If he gets worse instead of better with the Tramadol, I wouldn't immediately assume you are having trouble managing the pain. Talk to your vet about other pain management options and try him off the Tramadol for a few days. Hope James is feeling better!

Agree. :nod Gabapentin is a good option for osteo pain as well, and can be used in conjunction with both Tramadol and Deramaxx. Neyla was on all 3 later on in her progression.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Tramadol can cause some dogs to act usual - restless, agitated, panting, etc.

Sorry, that should have said "can cause dogs to act UNusual". Won't let me go back and edit it.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest juliagulia630

That explains why he has still not settled down. He is pacing and panting. We need some sleep over here. Does anyone know how long I can expect this behavior?

Guest IrskasMom

Can we have later an Update on James ???

Welcome to GT. :wave:wave:wave We would like to hear about James Bout with Osteo ,we are here to listen and help you to go through this. :grouphug

That explains why he has still not settled down. He is pacing and panting. We need some sleep over here. Does anyone know how long I can expect this behavior?

Until the Tramadol wears off, if it's that, which takes about 8 hours if I remember rightly from when Renie was on it. I can tell you from my own experience that Tramadol can cause auditory hallucinations, among other side effects, and it's possible that these upset dogs more than they do us. You could try putting the radio on for some background 'interference' noise and see if that helps. Just a thought.

But certainly I'd be getting him to a vet as soon as you can, so that you can get a picture of what's going on, and some further help for the poor guy. Good luck!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I am sorry you are going through this with James. Unfortunately as others have stated Tramadol can have these side effects and it takes 6-8hrs I believe to wear off. I third (or fourth) the opinion on Gabapentin, it does not cause the same issues. Now I would not say to not use Tramadol and you should certainly discuss this with your vet to ensure you can make James comfortable.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.