Removing Fentanyl Patch Adhesive

I asked my vet the same thing when Loca had the patch, and she suggested bringing her into the clinic for removal.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Even if the oil doesn't completely remove the adhesive, it will reduce the gooeyness gooiness (there's got to be some way to spell that that'll satisfy spell check). You can use olive oil, too, which would be perfectly safe if Lucy wanted to lick it.

But always use oil to reduce the sticky stuff--chewing gum, tree sap, paper labels.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Hmmm. I used vegetable oil (I figured it would be safer if she licked it :lol ) when I removed the patch, but it didn't get all of the adhesive off and I assumed it would kind of wear off on its own, but it hasn't. I wonder if the vet has something special they use for this. Unless someone can tell me the secret to getting it off, I guess I'll call the vet tomorrow.

Karen, she's doing well. Kind of tired today but appetite is great.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest mcsheltie

You can use any adhesive remover. Look in drug stores, those are meant to be used for bandages. There are three suggestions on this web page - link

You can find some in department stores or hardware stores.

We use this stuff a lot to take the tape off Shelties & Collie puppy's ears. Just wash it off with some dish washing liquid.

You can use any adhesive remover. Look in drug stores, those are meant to be used for bandages. There are three suggestions on this web page - link

You can find some in department stores or hardware stores.

We use this stuff a lot to take the tape off Shelties & Collie puppy's ears. Just wash it off with some dish washing liquid.

Ah ha, thank you! I didn't know they made remover meant for bandages. I'll see what they have at the drug store. Thanks!

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest avadogner

There is a hospital product called Detachall. it's in a single wipe package like alcohol wipes. Your local pharmacy should have them or can order them. they disolve the adhesive without removing hair. We use them in hospitals to removed dressings, IV tape etc.

-ava and augie's mum

Guest greyaspet

I used olive oil it takes awhile but I was afraid if I took my boy back to the vet they would just rip it off that wasn't going to happen. A friend of mine just had one on her dog they used staples to attach it.

More info than you asked for, but hopefully useful to the OP or someone else investigating fentanyl.

Oil sounds like a good solution (pardon the pun) for removal. Don't use alcohol or warm/hot water, as these will drive more/too much of the drug into the system. Remember not to use your bare hands as you don't want to dose yourself. (More of a problem if you are removing early.) Use an orangewood stick instead of your nail, or once you can grasp an edge use a paper towel or tweezers or something similar.

Most (perhaps all) fentnyl patches on the market will deliver most/all of the drug by the end of the 72 hour wear period, so if your dog isn't having a bad reaction and you don't need to get it off in a hurry, you can just leave it in place until the adhesive fails.

If anyone is removing a patch early, be careful of dosing yourself--especially if it is a patch that has a little resevoir of drug in the middle. If the membrane over the resevoir fails, a high dose of fentanyl can be released all at once. If this occurs, use gloves or something to protect your hands, wipe the area with tissue or a dry rag. (Let me double-check about cleaning with oil. For sure alcohol and hot water are BAD in this situation.)

Also, anyone with children should be sure to keep them away from fentanyl patches. Put a T shirt on the dog to loosely cover the patch, and/or keep the child and ailing dog separated. If you have additional fentanyl patches in your home LOCK THEM UP. The packaging is not child safe. There was a little girl recently in the Pittsburgh area who covered herself in multiple fentanyl patches belonging to her grandmother because she thought she was playing with Band-Aids. I don't know if she ever woke up from her coma.:(

Heat increases the delivery of the drug, so don't bundle your dog up when they have this patch on. Blankets they can shake off if absolutely necessary; no jammies or heavy coats, no heated dog beds or electric blankets, and NO hot baths.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04