Not Eating

My 5 year old grey is having stomach issues..I gave him 1 Pepcid this evening, but I can still hear his stomach growling across the room. He did not touch his dinner which is TOTW Pacific Stream. Also, he has lost 7 lbs in the last 6 months. He is down from 82 to 75 lbs. I gave him a Bully Stick yesterday and he ate the whole thing. Is that too much for him? Thanks for any information.

Guest mcsheltie

Has he had a normal appetite other than today?

How long has he been eating TOTW? If less than several months, what was he eating before?

If he normally has bully sticks I wouldn't worry about that.

The weight loss and the appetite today might be unrelated....the weight loss might be based on food depending on how long he has been on it as MCsheltie was asking.

When Dustin's belly has bothered him, he loses his appetite and I hear terrible growling. Usually within a few hours of that I see diarreah. The on thing I would watch for is that he eventually does move his bowels...just to be sure there is no blockage. Additionnally, if he vomits, you need to be even more sure that he is passing food, etc. through his system. In Dustin's case, that growly stomach, diarreah, and poor appetite was a bit of a stomach bug...He did need the vet..i.e. antibiotic and stomach soother.

Either way, if he doesn't perk up by morning, I would have him checked.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Actually he has been on New Balance Bison and Sweet Potato for several months. I am switching him to TOTW so right now it is about half and half. He ate about 1 cup this morning. I took him to the park and he just walked around and did no running. When dinner time came he just walked away and has been laying down since then. I gave him the Pepcid, but it did not seem to do anything. He did poop twice today after breakfast and it looked normal to me. I normally throw the bully stick away when it gets where he cannot hold it with his paw. But yesterday he really ate it fast and before I knew it he had eaten all of it. I will carry him to the vet in the morning if nothing changes..thanks so much.

Guest mcsheltie

If he didn't have any weight loss I would be inclined to wait it out a day or so. Could be a bug or something he ate in the park (like poop) But with the weight loss thrown in I would go to the vet if things haven't resolved in 24 hrs.

Check the kcals in the Bison & SP. 50-75 kcals per cup less than his previous diet would cause that much weight loss over six months.

Any update?

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

We've been dealing with weight loss and lack of appetite here with our 12-year old Grey. Took him into the Vet and ran blood work, urinalysis, chest x-ray, fecals and ultrasound. We think he may be having issues with renal problems. I picked up the ID to feed him. I also contacted Dr. Dodds, who has been most helpful. She said NOT to give Prescription diet.

This is what she wrote me:

Prescription diets are not the way to treat them . We give a grain-free lower fat senior diet -- like Wellness Super5 Mix for seniors or Eagle Holistic Select for seniors, or Natural balance or Taste-of-the-Wild etc. You can add the canned version of these food or just add the cooked chicken and rice [be sure you steam brown rice twice as long as white rice so he can digest the hulls]

My Vet had me giving 10 mg of Pepcid 2 x a day. Dr. Dodds told me to give Pepcid, 20 mg twice a day.

Our Grey is a picky eater on a good day, always has been. I went to a local pet store and they gave me a bunch of samples to try. Actually, he seemed to like the TOTW cut he seems to really like the Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato and has been eating 2 good meals a day, so far.

Of course, we are probably dealing with different issues due to the age difference but you might try the Natural Balance. I also buy the canned and add a little of that each meal.

What is his poop like?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project