Cut

Guest Rach1323

Guest Rach1323

Hello everyone ...my Grey got a bad cut on her foot today ...I couldn't stop the bleeding ...I missed all my classes and clinicals to take her to the vet. The vet said stiches were not needed and gave me some antibotics to give her. I'm just a little stressed b/c the cut looks bad to me and she's limping on it. I mean Im not questioning the vet or anything but it keeps bleeding and 1. I can't sit there and hold it till it stops bleeding (it took 45 min this morning) and 2. Im sorry but I cant have blood all over my carpets. I dont know what to do or how to cover it up or whatever I dont know ....I feel bad she's hurting :( I also can't spend 45 min every time I take her out trying to get it to stop bleeding.

Im so stressed and overwhelmed with everthing right now any advice would be greatly appreciated!

THanks

Make sure cut and surrounding foot is clean (running water and mild soap is fine). Cut a telfa or similar nonstick pad to the same shape as the part of her foot where the cut is (bottom?). Put some neosporin, SSD, or similar on the nonstick pad. Plop nonstick pad over cut spot. Pad with a bunch of gauze/sterile cotton/similar. Couple small pieces of adhesive tape to keep telfa and gauze pad in place if need be. Vetwrap over all. Plastic bag or two when you go outside so it doesn't get wet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Deep breaths :)

Check out the "baby sock" thread - it's about a cut foot, and you might see some ideas on there that work for you. Try a piece of gauze with some antibiotic gel on it, wrap with vet wrap (not too tight). That might be enough, or you might need to put a sock over the whole thing to keep her from messing with the vet wrap.

Good luck

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

This thread should help you.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/268962-how-to-keep-baby-sock-on/page__pid__4855786#entry4855786

You should have some supplies at home for emergencies and you will acquire them over time. A good doggies first aid kit is essential. You should have Quick Stop for bleeding (in an emergency you can use nutmeg, flour, etc.), vet wrap, elasticon bandage, emt gel or spray, bacitracin, q-tips, saline solution and I am sure others will pop in to help you out.

Most likely what took you to the vet this morning, will be handled by you the next time.

Good luck!

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Energy11

Hope this will help. I have used Quik Stop (*the stuff used for when you cut the quiks on nails) for bleeding. The toddler socks are padded inside, and may help too. As the others have said, if it WON'T stop bleeding, then, the vet needs to know.

Good Luck! This stuff is NOT fun! :(

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.*You can stop bleeding from pulled toe nails with Quik Stop. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury. For small objects stuck in the pad like glass, and other debris, soaking in Epsom Salts helps greatly, and sometimes, the objects will come out on their own.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

If it's bleeding a lot or won't stop bleeding, you should really call the vet. Don't use quick-stop on deep cuts, it's really just for toenails.

The vet should be able to skin-glue it or bandage it and show you how to re-bandage. If it keeps busting open and bleeding like crazy it's not going to heal!

Guest greytkidsmom

Like everyone else said, let the vet know that it is still a problem.

The sanitary pad idea is great - gonna have to steal that one.

Be careful about changing the bandage too often - taking the old one off can disrupt any clot that may have formed.

Nature's Miracle works really well at getting blood out of carpet and upholstery. Hydrogen peroxide does too but it can bleach colors out so test a spot first.

Hugs to you and your pup.

Back in December Milky Way cracked his toenail so bad it had to be cut off and removed just before the skin. I have no advice for you on stopping the bleeding but I can tell you how to save your carpet. We quarantined the patient into one area of the house and laid down old sheets on the floor in that room. Due to the extensive injury Milky Way had his foot oozed for several days(which I was assured by the vet was fine) the sheets literally saved the floors. We use towels to make a runway to the door for potty breaks. Best of Luck!

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Guest Rach1323

Thank you all so much....You all have great ideas...I made a quick stop at the store and got gauze and self sticking wrap and I put a baggy over it to go outside. I will have to pick a few more things that you all mentioned later in the week! I'm going to keep an eye on it and might have to call the vet back. She's on antibiotics right now and has just mostly been tired, groggy and sleeping. Again ...really thank you so much!

One more quick question the vet told me to let her lick it? Is this right? My last Vet always told me to keep her from licking cuts? I'm confused...

Guest HHHounds

I agree on the not licking advice. My hounds have taken a small wound and turned them into bigger issues from licking. We like the toddler sock route to discourage licking! Hope that the foot heals fast!

Guest mbfilby

I have used super glue in the past. Clean the wound and dry it best you can. Then apply some super glue to cut. Hold cut together and then wrap it. Good luck.

This.. Superglue is used in this house on dogs and humans..