Liver Disease

nessa

My 10 1/2 year old Shana has been diagnosed with liver disease and has abdominal swelling from fluid. Anyone else experience this? We do not know the cause but will treat with meds and the Dr recommends a low protein diet. Yikes.

GEDC0186.jpg

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Guest Swifthounds

What did they find by ultrasound? That the liver was enlarged? Diseased? Infected?

Not that liver disease cannot be a primary diagnosis, but liver issues can be caused by a variety of conditions, some of which can be treated and can resolve the liver issues.

We pick up the antibiotic tomorrow ( do not know the name of it) and Denamarin. That is suppose to have Sam-e and Milk Thistle in it at beneficial levels. I did read that both those supplements were found to be helpful??!!

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Guest Swifthounds

We pick up the antibiotic tomorrow ( do not know the name of it) and Denamarin. That is suppose to have Sam-e and Milk Thistle in it at beneficial levels. I did read that both those supplements were found to be helpful??!!

I give both SAMe and mill thistle to my older hounds and have seen improvements in the liver values. SAMe is good for lots of other things as well.

:bighug

Denamarin is good stuff. I used it with Donner for a couple of years. It can be purchased OTC from other sources and much cheaper than your Vet can sell it for,. Good luck. :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****