Food Issues

dchope

I adopted my 3rd Greyhound(other 2 are deceased) 2 weeks ago. She is 2 1/2 years old. I have been feeding her Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Chicken. She was switched to this food about a week before I got her and had been on Costco ? Dog Food. Her stools were always loose and remain that way. I was giving her EVO wet food-1/3 can-with her dry and stopped that thinking it could be the wet food. I then mixed rice and freshly cooked chicken and that didn't work either. I now have her on just Natural Balance with a few pieces of fresh chicken on top.

Note: She "escaped" from someone's yard and was missing for 5 days. Thank goodness she was found - 5 lbs less in weight - but otherwise healthy. She was checked for Giardia with negative results.

Any ideas? I never had this problem with my previous Greyhounds (both boys)

I would try a pro-biotic of some kind, I've had some success with FortiFlora which you can get from your vet without a prescription. I wish you luck, one of my boys has a VERY sensitive stomach and can only be fed "sensitive stomach" food. Kind of a hassle, but they are worth it! :rolleyes:

2 weeks isn't very long. It could still just be from the stress of the move.

How long did you have her on each formula before switching?

or, it could be worms, I'd definately have her checked for them.

or, it might be a chicken sensitivity.

2 weeks isn't very long. It could still just be from the stress of the move.

How long did you have her on each formula before switching?

or, it could be worms, I'd definately have her checked for them.

or, it might be a chicken sensitivity.

All of the above!

I agre...2 weeks is not really long enough to get her settled into your routine.

I would not change the food she's been on for at least another 2 weeks.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I had the same issue with my first one. Try New Balance Bison and Sweet Potato or TOTW Pacific Stream. Be sure not to give anything as a treat, however New Balance Bison and Sweet Potato does have dog treats. Stay completely away from things like Milkbone. I do put canned carrots and green beans in their food..also sardines in water sometimes. Good luck.