Food Recommendation To Aid Skin & Coat

Guest Smiley

I added coconut oil last year when they all started having flakes. I used coconut oil because Fletcher can't tolerate any of the fish oils. It worked very well, although I stopped using it once shedding season was over. I'll probably start it again soon, it's getting to be about that time of year. I get mine at Sprouts, usually Spectrum brand (I use it in my own cooking, too)

I did see where it said 1 tsp per 10 lbs,it is a good article. Rebel is 82 lbs and 8 tsp a day seemed like a lot. Just wanted to make sure that I was not giving too much or more than I needed since greyhounds can run different.

I am going to try cocomut oil as soon as I finish the fish oil that I have.

I will be sure to start slow and build up the dose to what he needs.

Edited by Kathy3

I did see where it said 1 tsp per 10 lbs,it is a good article. Rebel is 82 lbs and 8 tsp a day seemed like a lot. Just wanted to make sure that I was not giving too much or more than I needed since greyhounds can run different.

I am going to try cocomut oil as soon as I finish the fish oil that I have.

I will be sure to start slow and build up the dose to what he needs.

Just make sure you start slow as recommended or it can have a detoxification effect. I believe for a large dogs 1 tsp to start and slowly build up was what was recommended.

I am also interested too though in how much those on here are giving.

ETA

I see where you already mentioned starting slow, must not have paid attention reading it the first time so disregard my mention of it

Edited by 4My2Greys

How much coconut oil do you give?

I am building them up like the article suggests and watching to make sure they don't get loose stools. So far no loose stools and coats are awesome! I've used fish oil, Hair of the Dog, and salmon oil in the past, but for some reason mine are looking the best they've ever looked on the coconut oil. My girls absolutely love it, but my galgo true to form loved it for about a week and now has decided he doesn't like it. :lol He does this with just about everything though. I've never, ever had a dog who was such a picky eater.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I added coconut oil last year when they all started having flakes. I used coconut oil because Fletcher can't tolerate any of the fish oils. It worked very well, although I stopped using it once shedding season was over. I'll probably start it again soon, it's getting to be about that time of year. I get mine at Sprouts, usually Spectrum brand (I use it in my own cooking, too)

I use it for cooking too. Love it. My dogs are already shedding and it's really helping it to go quickly. Princess has already lost most of her winter undercoat (or underfluffen, as I call it). I'm thrilled to have underfluffen mostly gone by the first of March! Carly, OTOH, is the original underfluffen monster (super thick fluffy coat) and she looks pretty darned good right now too.

Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I haven't tried it myself yet, but I've read where a lot of people are having success with adding coconut oil to the food daily.

I recently started mine on coconut oil and have been very impressed so far.

Here are some links that convinced me to give it a try for my gang. And the girls absolutely love it! Their skin and coats already look better than they did on large doses of fish oil or salmon oil.

Coconut Oil for Dogs

Crazy About Coconut Oil

I've been meaning to thank you for posting the article Crazy About Coconut Oil. What brand do you use and where do you get it from?

I originally bought the Spectrum brand at a local health food store, but because I use so much I now order it in larger quantity (54 oz.) from Vitacost.com. I order a lot of supplements from Vitacost. Great prices, reasonable shipping, and fast delivery. I ordered the Nutiva brand last time.

We're on month 7 with Oliver and 3 with Gus and the Hair of the Dog is very, very high in Omega 3's. I'll add fish oil again once we are stable on the new dry kibble. As for the Avoderm, where can I purchase that? I'd like to research it and if I like it, I'd love to know where I can get it. Thanks!

Our local PetSmart carries it.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Well I ordered the tub-o-coconut oil from Vitacost yesterday. Thanks Remelocha and Petra for the info on where to buy. I bought the 54 oz Nutiva brand since I've got 4 dogs to give it to. Also found some 16+ grade Manuka honey that I added to my order. I had a nice surprise in that shipping was free. Can't wait to start giving the coconut oil to the dogs and seeing the benefits. I sure hope they like it and don't refuse it.

Well I ordered the tub-o-coconut oil from Vitacost yesterday. Thanks Remelocha and Petra for the info on where to buy. I bought the 54 oz Nutiva brand since I've got 4 dogs to give it to. Also found some 16+ grade Manuka honey that I added to my order. I had a nice surprise in that shipping was free. Can't wait to start giving the coconut oil to the dogs and seeing the benefits. I sure hope they like it and don't refuse it.

If you start slowly and build up you shouldn't have any problem. My girls love it and will eat it in solid form right off a spoon if I offer it to them. My galgo is

another story. As I said before, he loved it for a while and now he doesn't. But he's that way about nearly everything. :lol

Hope all of you like it as much as the girls and I do and get equally great results.

ETA I love coconut oil as a moisturizer when I get out of the shower.

Love Vitacost! :)

Edited by galgrey

Guest EaglesMom

When I first adopted Eagle (8 years ago), he was had dry flaky skin and a god awful coat. I put him on lipiderm and after about 4-6 weeks, his hair grew back in (EVEN his butt) and his coat turned into bunny fur. He is almost 12 now and still has a beautiful coat. I feed Avoderm as well.

As for the coconut oil, does anyone use the capsules?

Edited by EaglesMom

Guest manawatugal

My greyhound of 5 days loves coconut oil which I just found out. Thought I would massage some into his skin as it is dry and flaky, he loved it and licked out the leftovers in the bowl afterwards. I am supplementing his food with flaxseed oil also and hopefully in a few weeks we will see a difference in his coat and skin.

Guest BlingDogs

Dory eats Nutro and I know it's not the best but if it isn't broken I don't want to mess with it. She gets about half a fish (half the size of my hand and 1 cm thick) every dinner and her coat looks very good.