Bailey Has Osteo

New to this forum and a rescue Greyhound owner of Katy Bell now 9.5 years old. Have had here almost three years. I believe in holistic approach to care where possible and nurtured a Rottweiler diagnosed with lumbar sacchreal (deterioration of the spine/arthritis) at 2 years old. He lived 14.5 years. Anyway, towards the end we managed his pain with a supplement from DRSCountryHealthLtd.com, capsule formula CHF#37 PAIN. It was like a magic pill. More recently a young foster dog I have been caring for was limping badly with shoulder issues. They wanted to do x-rays and blood work...expense I cannot afford...I put her on this pain/anti-inflammatory supplement for two weeks, twice a day, and her limping has healed completely!

Without knowing the total background on Bailey, diet can also help with joint pain and other issues. My Katy Bell had a bout of pancreatitis before I took her and I have gotten her back to full health on a holistic diet. No grains, preservatives, fillers, venison and lamb. I love BLUE Wilderness, and I cook a chicken or beef, veggie and rice stew in large quantities that I then portion and freeze. Make a months worth of food for about $25!!

This is bone cancer not arthritis. While supplements can be helpful, palliative care with aggressive pain control will always be needed with osteosarcoma.

Eva I am so very sorry. I remember your Carrier's story very well. And since then both my jack and Jilly have been taken by the monster. I hope for many many precious good days with Bailey.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest chardae

We lost our lovely black grey Angel Cheyenne in 2004 to this awful disease. We did everything, amputation, chemo, we had our hopes that we might have a year with her, but that was not to be. It was one of the most difficult times of my life---she was so precious to me.

I'm so sorry and I will be thinking of you.

Thank you everyone. GT support is a wonderful thing. Wonder, I am sorry to hear that sparks going through the same thing. Our carrier battled through one of the worst winters here as well and iit was tough. Sparks was one if the early dogs on GT wasnt he?

We spoke to dr C to see there was anything we could do and we dicussed pamidronate. Our vet was even willing to do the IV in our home over the 6 -8hours. But after speaking to dr outo again we agreed that only doing the pamidronate was like putting as small bandage in a large wound as dr. C described it. When he told us that most of all osteo patients break a leg before the cancer spreads, I asked if it was a hair line fracture or what. He said " no Eva. It's a catastrophic fracture". These words

haunt me. I am on mat leave so I am able to be home with Bailey as much as needed but my goodness this freaks

me out. I am so careful with her as she is still able to walk

up the few stairs leading outdoors but the thought of the leg breaking is terrifying. ;(

It's so tough. But in the end I wouldn't trade a thing to not have these dogs in our life.

Eva, Jack did not have a catastrophic fracture. There may have been a hairline one but it was just at a point I was no longer able to see a pain free quality of life even with more drugs that ended his life. With Jill she was diagnosed with a hairline fracture and much bone loss. I let her go then. But neither of them shattered their bone. Most of the palliative dogs on GT do not suffer that.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Thank you everyone. GT support is a wonderful thing. Wonder, I am sorry to hear that sparks going through the same thing. Our carrier battled through one of the worst winters here as well and iit was tough. Sparks was one if the early dogs on GT wasnt he?

We spoke to dr C to see there was anything we could do and we dicussed pamidronate. Our vet was even willing to do the IV in our home over the 6 -8hours. But after speaking to dr outo again we agreed that only doing the pamidronate was like putting as small bandage in a large wound as dr. C described it. When he told us that most of all osteo patients break a leg before the cancer spreads, I asked if it was a hair line fracture or what. He said " no Eva. It's a catastrophic fracture". These words

haunt me. I am on mat leave so I am able to be home with Bailey as much as needed but my goodness this freaks

me out. I am so careful with her as she is still able to walk

up the few stairs leading outdoors but the thought of the leg breaking is terrifying. ;(

It's so tough. But in the end I wouldn't trade a thing to not have these dogs in our life.

I'm so sorry that your Bailey has been diagnosed. I just lost my girl Neyla to this horrible disease 2 days before Christmas. We had 7 good months after she was diagnosed, but I think we got lucky catching it very early.

I did do one pamidronate treatment and the difference in pain management as compared to meds was pretty remarkable. If she's a good candidate, especially if you're vet would do it in your home (I would have killed for that!) I would consider it. The exception imo would be if the damage to the bone is already severe enough on x-ray that she is at good risk of a fracture (even a hairline one) right now, the theory being that with that type of pain relief, she would be too active and increase her odds of breaking it. If Dr. Couto has seen your x-rays and is not recommending the treatment, then my guess is that he may feel you're already in that territory, but it's worth asking him. And unfortunately if she does break her leg, the choices are to amputate or let her go. :(

Again, I'm so sorry. There's a separate ongoing osteo thread in H&M if you'd like to join us for support or to get additional input on palliative care. Hang in there.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."