If I Try Different Foods To Cut Gas

sarabz

I do see where people have posted that their greys don't have gas. I'm jealous. Bella's turning into a major stink-butt. She is moderately gassy on just her kibble, worse on the days we don't add yogurt but when she audibly toots and then looks at her butt and sneezes, I'm thinking maybe it's time to do something about it :lol

So, if I start trying different kibbles to see if any make her gas better, how long should I give a new kibble to see if it cuts down on the gas?

And, kibble suggestions from those with less noxious hounds would be much appreciated :)

Right now Bella's on Earthborn Holistic Adult Vantage.

Thanks!

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I would give it at least 3-4 weeks on 1 food before changing. You'll probably know sooner than that if it's working or not, but switching too often may cause the big 'D' and that's worse than gas!!

Maggie was on Science Diet Adult Active and we didn't have any gas with her, but her previous foster home said she had nasty gas and they fed the same thing. We just switched her to Eukanuba Adult Maintenance last week and so far no gas problems.

I've often wondered what I am doing right because I've had 6 greys now and none of them have ever had the gassy issues that many complain of. I've also fed a variety of different kibbles over the yrs, the main ones being Pro-Plan, Natural Balance, and currently Purina One Chicken and Rice. I've decided that I'm not doing anything *right* it's just likely that some dogs are more prone to gas issues for things that may not be totally related to the food they eat (though it may play a small part) and I've just been lucky.

Here is an article that may or may not be helpful.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_multi_flatulence

I usually (tho not always) take 3-4 days to switch over to a new food; if at any point things seem worse rather than better, I stop the new food. If things are the same or better, I proceed with new food and then assess after 3-4 days 100% on the new food.

I've never had a dog get better on a food with time, altho I have had some get worse. YMMV.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Apologies if you've already tried this, but have you given Bella probiotics? My hounds aren't very gassy at all now, but they both had a course of FortiFlora after they came home, and again any time after a round of antibiotics. (Most yoghurt has live acidopholus culture, but that's not the full spectrum of beneficial gut flora.) Worth a try?

Guest lizmego

Petsmart's GNC line makes a probiotic and prebiotic that I give Dell. You could try that one see if you have any good results.

Probiotic - good bacteria you're adding to the intestines

Prebiotic - it creates an environment in the intestines where the good bacteria can thrive.

the vitamin shoppe stores have a good probiotic, they are all over the city - i look for their own brand probiotic 10 or something like that. it has the wides variety of probiotics in it and is not super expensice. i start off w/ 2 capsules, 2xs a day. just open it and mix it into the food. probio is what i am currently using, found it at a feed store at a good price.in a pinch trader joe's acidopholious is cheap, but they really need a variety in the suppliment.

also, during the winter i tend to cut back a tad on the food unless the dogs are running like mad dogs. if they are lying around in the warm apt sleeping and not getting to the yard or park to run it off, they fart. it's as simple as that. it takes me almost a month to change foods, slow and steady- we have very few upsets here when i transition slowly.