Peeing In Crate Solution=No Crate?

Guest afd24

Hi all,

Here's a question I wonder if anyone can weigh in on. We recently had a foster dog who peed in her crate when left alone - otherwise, when we were home she was perfectly housebroken, and she was a pretty laid back girl who got along well with our hound. When I mentioned her accidents to some folks at the kennel day when she was adopted, a few people said the same thing: Does she need to be crated? They suggested that if she was left out of the crate when alone this might solve the peeing in the crate issue.

So has this been a solution to peeing in the crate for anyone - stop crating and accidents will stop? If so, how did that work - did you baby-gate the hound in a room and leave the crate open so the hound could go in and out but was still somewhat restricted from getting into too much trouble?

Thanks for any input!

~Ann

I think it depends on the underlying cause of the peeing. If it is true separation anxiety, it will not help and you may come home to some more issues like destruction. If it's crate anxiety, then yes, if you stop using the crate the peeing will stop.

I have one girl who is perfectly housebroken, but when I first got her I decided to crate her for the first few days while I was at work and at night. She was fine at night. The first day I went to work she totally destroyed the bedding in the crate, pooped and scattered it as far and wide as she could (close your eyes and imagine the smell :eek ). She was one mad hound! Then I gated her in a separate room she has never had another accident.

On the other hand I have one who slept in her crate (her choice with the crate left open) for over a year.

Each one is different.

june

How long between potty breaks?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My dog hated his crate. He hated being baby gated into a room. The only thing that stopped his problem (which was actually howling like a deranged wolf) was to let him loose. He has never done so much as chewed up a stuffed animal since.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Swifthounds

I think it depends on the underlying cause of the peeing. If it is true separation anxiety, it will not help and you may come home to some more issues like destruction. If it's crate anxiety, then yes, if you stop using the crate the peeing will stop.

This, with the caveat that crate anxiety is a conditioned response.

I try to not let my dogs go longer than 6 hours during the day without a potty break. I know they can go longer, but I can't imagine it is good for them to hold it that long on a regular basis. I am fortunate I can come home for lunch, but occasionally for some reason I can't and they make 8-9 hours without any accidents, but they are glad to get outside and don't run around or play until they have relieved their bladders :lol

june

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd follow up - our last foster (who was having crate accidents during 3-4 hour cratings in the afternoon) went to his new home last week and apparently had 2 days in a row of spectacularly awful crate accidents (during his crated afternoon alone in the house while adopter was at work following long noontime walks), and so they tried baby gating him in the kitchen, and it seems to be working - no accidents! (This is a hound who likes to hang out in his crate when family is home, too).

Thanks all for weighing in!

~Ann

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd follow up - our last foster (who was having crate accidents during 3-4 hour cratings in the afternoon) went to his new home last week and apparently had 2 days in a row of spectacularly awful crate accidents (during his crated afternoon alone in the house while adopter was at work following long noontime walks), and so they tried baby gating him in the kitchen, and it seems to be working - no accidents! (This is a hound who likes to hang out in his crate when family is home, too).

Thanks all for weighing in!

~Ann

That's great news!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck