Eating Poop

Guest tysmom

I have a seven year old male that has just started the disgusting poo eating stuff?

He's never done this before as far as I have seen.

Why would it start out of the blue? does anybody know?

deb

Haven't you been having colder/snowier weather than usual? I used to live in South Jersey, and it stayed very mild mostly. Frozen poo is the supreme delicacy -- the harder frozen the better, I think Beth would say.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I don't know Deb. but my Harvey has recently started eating it too. It's like he's obsessed with it. He digs through the snow looking for it. Somewhere I read to feed them pineapple and I did that. It didn't work at all.

Guest PhillyPups

Ah frozen poopsicles, a gourmet delicacy, but I will not try them no matter what the dogs think. Gremlin acted like she had just discovered the cure for mouth cancer with em. :l0l

When Spencer started doing it at age 8, it turned out he had intestinal malabsorption (and later we found a Chlostridium infection in his small intestine). Giving him B-12 injections under under the skin stopped the poop-eating.

Our Shane, also 8, just did it for the first time a couple weeks ago, on a walk. He has a UTI and is pooping a large amount relative to the amount of food he eats. So I think his behavior is health-related too.

But others will swear it's behavioral. I just can't see it as something they do for fun. But whatever.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Beans has decided he loves poopcicles too. Not sure if it's the stressful household changes that are triggering it (baby, move, etc) or not, but it's pretty gross. Though, the eating isn't nearly as bad as the puke that sometimes follows - that's just WRONG!

There's some sort of pill you can give them to make the poop taste bad to them - I forget what it's called though. It can be $$ if you have more than 1 dog b/c you have to give it to both so the poop eater doesn't eat the other ones' poo too.

I tried everything. The only cure around here was a muzzle with a stool guard when they go outside.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Thank God Im not alone in this disgusting little business.

I had to giggle reading the responses because he is obsessed with it all. He does sniff through the snow looking for the stuff.

the whole this is utterly gagging if you ask me.

Using the muzzle is working. so far he's not bright enough to figure out he can still get it if he tries hard enough. Where can I get the poop gaurd

should I need it?

deb

Yep Akon thinks frozen poops are yummy. Only an issue when they are frozen. Could care less if they are warm from the oven. I've put duct tape over a muzzle for a stool guard and he doesn't leave home without it :blink:

Edited by riverbosun

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

Guest Hollys2hounds

My little one (an eskipoo) is doing this.

She is obscessed with eating Lexy's poo... ugh! :puke:(:o

She is only 18lbs and I don't really want to muzzle her... every time she goes out!

Any other suggestions? A pill? What kind? Where do I get it?

Thanks

Thank God Im not alone in this disgusting little business.

I had to giggle reading the responses because he is obsessed with it all. He does sniff through the snow looking for the stuff.

the whole this is utterly gagging if you ask me.

Using the muzzle is working. so far he's not bright enough to figure out he can still get it if he tries hard enough. Where can I get the poop gaurd

should I need it?

deb

You can get stool guards HERE

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

POOP EATERS???????????? I have two! Dh or I, HAVE TO BE outside with them at all times! They will eat the poop as it is coming out of someone else's butt~:( They are fed high quality food, and supplements, too! They just love it!

Some dogs are just prone to poop eating, and I tried it ALL ... putting hot sauce on the poop, just made it a "Mexican delicacy" for Goldie! :o

Good Luck!

Maddie is a part of this disgusting club. I use a squirt gun when I see her try and do it. when she see it, she runs, she hates getting any water on her. I also use a squirt bottle for when she barks, she does the same thing.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Thank you all for the comments.

At least I know its not so unusual and I am sure there will be other more important things down the road to worry about.

For now, muzzle again. Sorry Boo. For your good and mine.

deb

Guest mleekramer

My Barney started it as soon as they were frozen. He goes out with a muzzle and a poop cup every time. I have a funny story in regards to this. My 5 yr old let Barney out after breakfast just after he started this behavior and forgot he needs his muzzle. Barney is the type who always thinks someone is getting something he isn't when he is not present at all times. When we let Poptart in, Barney came running. My daughter was on her way to the fridge to get some water. He ran in at 40mph, smacked right into her. Out of his jowls 2 frozen huge pieces of poop come flying and completely resembled someone throwing dice in craps. It had the same sound too hitting the wood floor. My daughter is screaming as one lands right at her feet! All I could do for a few seconds while I soaked it in is laugh hysterically. Thank goodness they were frozen!!!

My Jade just started too. So she's my ADHD, CCD, thunderphobic, tail chewing, poop eater.

I don't know what to do. I have a dog door and really don't want to have her wearing a muzzle all day. :repuke

Same problem here. Just don't let them lick your face. ;). Nala started it at age 9 after Kona died. Now she eats EVERYTHING! Hair, sheets, tp, etc.

The Girls

Sam's having some intestinal absorption issues. He's also having an upset stomach, and has started to poop in the house on puppy pads. When he was wearing his muzzle without the guard,* he'd eat the poop, then get diarrhea (probably marginally better than throwing it up, but I'm not certain). Now that he's wearing the guard, he still tries to eat the poop. I come home from work and he rubs his poopy muzzle all over my pants.

*He'd been wearing the muzzle without the guard because he'd had a couple of episodes of throwing up, and I didn't want him to do that into the guard and aspirate the stuff. He's finally stopped the throwing up action, so I can put the guard back in the muzzle. Sam's just a barrel of fun, these days. :(

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It really is gross. I talked to my vet about it who owns greyhounds

and he said his own are doing the same thing.

His best answer.... muzzle him.

Thanks for the info on the guard. So far he is so offended by the use of the muzzle he

hasn"t figured he coul;d still get it if he tried hard enough.

My boy gets very little points in the brains department thank goodness.

If he was anything like my little darling , devil girl, i'd really have my hands full.

deb

Guest TeddysMom

Three of mine have broken their muzzles by pushing them into the ground trying to get the poop through their muzzles. Today I ordered 4 new muzzles, 7 poop cups and 4 new headstalls. Now I have outside muzzles and inside muzzles when they need them. It grosses me out when they all come in and rub the poop covered muzzles against me. UKG!!! A friend of mine has been giving her dogs brewers yeast in their food and swears that it has stopped hers, I am going to try that since I have tried most everything else.

Guest grammarules

My Shelby gets a special treat. We have a lot of deer in our area and she thinks it is little 'treats'. She gets very gassy afterwards. With over an acre of treed lot it is real hard to keep it cleaned up. I pooper scoop more deer droppings that I do Shelby droppings. My Hubby asked the vet why she ate it and he said, "She likes the flavour". Someone told me to sprinkle chilli powder on it. I have too big of a lot for that and what would it do to Shelby?

My new rescue ate poop a few times and now I give her every day a bit of ROQUEFORT cheese and since then she hasn't eaten anymore poop.

Have luck!

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Profgumby

Beauty will try to eat frozen piles in the yard. But only with my wife or my sons...she never tries it with me...so my solution is to tell them to pay attention when letting the dogs out and to pick up the friggin poo every time a dog leaves it.