Junebug's Toe Injury (Long, Sorry)

Guest Mommy2Junebug

Guest Mommy2Junebug

Hi everyone,

I know I haven't been on GreyTalk in months! Now, I'm needing some advice and opinions...

Yesterday afternoon, my boyfriend and I took Junebug, our 3-year-old grey, to a local tennis court for some added exercise. We live near Chicago, and it's been very snowy, icy, and cold here. We think she slipped on a patch of ice and injured her toe.

We let Junie off-leash, threw a frisbee for her, and let her take off (the courts are completely closed off, so it's a great place to let her run around). After about 5 minutes, I noticed she was holding up her right, front paw and limping around.

At first, I thought her paw was frozen from snow. However, I cleaned it off and she wouldn't put weight on it, and was crying a little. We brought her home, and saw that the rightmost toenail seemed to be bent to the side a little, but not severely. Otherwise, her paw looked fine. When my boyfriend touched that toe, however, she let fly the GSOD.

She was still limping, not putting any weight on the injured paw, and crying periodically, but otherwise seemed okay. She was still food-motivated and roaching for bellyrubs ... although, if she put too much pressure on that paw, she would cry.

We wrapped the foot in an old athletic sock and some non-stick medical tape. Junebug wasn't happy about the wrapping at all. Afterwards, she hobbled around like a tripod and wouldn't put ANY weight on the injured foot. Still, I was able to get her to go out for a pee and poo last night, and again early this morning for a pee. We didn't walk far, though. (Half a block, at most.)

Early this morning, I managed to remove the wrapping so I could examine her foot. (What an ordeal! Several GSODs, followed by teeth-baring, devil-dog snapping ...) Her sore toe looks a little swollen, but the toe isn't "out of place" at all. I'm relatively certain we can rule out a break or a dislocation. I think it's either fractured or a sprung toe.

I spent several hours last night lurking on the GreyTalk boards and other greyhound and dog-related message boards, reading about various toe injuries. Opinions vary, from "get the dog to the vet ASAP" to "there's nothing you can do." I want to take her to the vet on Monday, but my boyfriend thinks she'll be okay if she rests and we keep the foot wrapped. I know there's not much to be done for a sprung toe, but a fracture merits attention.

I'd be less inclined to worry so much, but whenever Junebug shifts her weight onto the foot, she lets fly another GSOD! I was woken up every 2-3 hours last night by her crying when she rolled around in bed. Otherwise, she's fine ... she lays quietly, she hasn't been panting (except about 10 minutes, when the injury first happened and we forced her to lie down), and she's still plenty interested in food! She can definitely be a diva and a drama queen, but this time I really don't know the extent of her pain ... is it horrible, or is she milking it?

She's otherwise 100% healthy, no prior foot problems. She's our first grey, and we've only had her 7 months, so we have no prior experience with this type of injury.

I'll attach a pic of the injured toe for good measure. It's the toe on the right, with the slightly askew toenail. (Sorry about the over-exposure and whatnot.) Thanks for letting me ramble ... and any advice you can give is greatly appreciated!

Vanessa

ao3ij7.jpg

Edited by Mommy2Junebug

I go to the vet whenever my dog is hurt. I'd rather be safe than sorry. My vet doesn't charge for exams and I have insurance, anyway... but even still, I would spend the $40 or whatever to find out.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Flysmom

I would take Junebug to the vet tomorrow. Sometimes you know in your heart that something is not right, even if it is minor.

You don't want to know how often I took my boys, present and past, to the vet for nothing...

I would also take her to the vet. I know from experience when Loca broke her toe, that toe injuries can be very tricky. When Loca broke her toe, it took longer to heal than her broken leg several years earlier. Better to be safe.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest krey1025

I'm a new grey owner as well, and we've had a few toe injuries already with Peet. Since she's crying and making a big ordeal about her toe, I'd also say bring her to the vet. If nothing else, it will give you peace of mind, and they'll give her something for the pain/inflammation. Hope she feels better soon!!!

If you need to poke and prod any closer, be sure to put a muzzle on her. Owies can make even the sweetest dog snap.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'd have it x-rayed. I would want to get her something for the pain though. It sounds like it's pretty painful if she's baring her teeth at you. Be careful and muzzle her if you plan on touching it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'd say X-Rays are a good idea too, and a muzzle, and mind Junebug's head doesn't come up under your chin - one of my Borzois did that and I saw stars!

Maybe the toe injury has an element of dislocation in it - that would be very painful.

Vet can give Tramadol if Junebug has a healthy heart.

I would go get an xray, mianly beasue of the significant pain she is in, and the fact she won't bear weight on it. If nothing else you can get her some pain meds to make her more comfortable.

Definitely go to the vet. Last week my Skorch totally ripped his entire toe nail off. I was more upset than him, but a trip to the vet was reasuring to me and I felt better when it was totally wrapped.

I have a June Bug too. Last September she tore her achilles at the dog park. It was a very expensive and worisome ordeal. We've sworn off dog parks for good.

I hope your Junebug is okay.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

I go to the vet whenever my dog is hurt. I'd rather be safe than sorry. My vet doesn't charge for exams and I have insurance, anyway... but even still, I would spend the $40 or whatever to find out.

$40 would be nice. Around here it would be more like $150 or so. But you might just want to get an xray. She shouldn't still be screaming.

Guest Mommy2Junebug

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the good wishes and advice. Junebug is doing quite a bit better!

We got her foot checked out, and the toe isn't broken. It's badly "sprung," as I suspected. We've got it wrapped up, and have some meds to give her for pain.

However, she hasn't been screaming or crying at all the past few days. She's pretty much herself, albeit with a lame foot. (She only cries if she rolls over onto the foot while she's in bed.) The main issue we're having is trying to get her not to chew the foot dressing. She keeps getting it off, and we keep wrapping it back up. (The trick, I've discovered, is to wrap it while she's asleep roaching. Her foot is in the air and the pressure is off, so it doesn't hurt to touch.)

The swelling has gone down dramatically. Bruising is still visible, but the toe is almost back to normal size and she's letting us touch it and examine it.

This morning, I took her for a quick "bathroom" walk. (Otherwise, we're limiting her activity. It's bitter cold in Chicago, so she doesn't particularly want to go outside anyhow.) She started walking on the foot! She'd walk a few steps, jump a few steps, walk a few steps, etc. I kept her on a short leash and forced to her walk slowly. It's icy outside, and slipping on ice is what caused her injury in the first place.

In the house, she's walking on all fours as well. We put down some extra rugs in the livingroom and kitchen, where we have hardwood floors, to give her better traction. She still limps when she walks on it, but at least she's using it again.

Right now, she's curled up in a half-roach, snoring away. I'm so relieved my baby girl is going better :-) Thanks again, everyone!

I am glad Junebug is feeling better and it wasn't anything too serious. i find putting a sock over a bandage is helpfull to stop them from chewing, if anything they just lick and move around the sock.

Be careful about getting the wrap wet. That happened when Loca broke her toe and she ended up with sores. Glad she's feeling better :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.