Tiny Skin Scabs, Lethargy & Hypothyroidism

Guest mimikay

Guest mimikay

Raina is my first pet ever. She just turned 3 in November - an ex-racer; off the track 9 mos now. We've had her since Sept.11, 2010. I'e been reading all the threads on hypothyroidism. I took her for a checkup last month and the vet said that her thyroid level was low, even for a greyhound. However, since we haven't had her for that long, she said to just monitor the dog since nothing else seemed wrong. I'm worried now because I don't know what to look for in terms of hypothyroidism. Can anyone provide a link??

1.For the last 3 mos, i've noticed tiny scabs on the sides of her body (about 2-3 mm wide. When I pick them off, there isn't any redness or any type of wound. I check her skin everyday and I never see any cuts or anything. It's like these tiny scabs just appear, and when I gently scrape the scab off, some of her fur comes off with it. Currently, she probably has about 4 scabs on each side. Her skin is really flaky - don't know if its because we give her a moisturizing bath every 2 wks. We've put her on fish oil twice daily but it's only been about 3 wks that she's been on it. It does seem to be helping though. Is dry flaky skin a symptom of hypothyroidism. She is not bald anywhere though, and does not seem to be losing hair, other than the normal shedding.

2. I also read that lethargy may be a symptom. However, since I have no prior experience with greys I'm not sure what lethargic for them is. I thought most greys were just really lazy. Raina is an only pet but she is rarely left alone because my hubby takes her to our business everyday. Raina lies on her bed most of the day. She gets excited when new people come around. She loves when we rub her belly. She's playful whenever we come home and plays with her stuffies about 2-3 times a day. She loves going on walks. I run a mile with her every other day.

3. Since my vet mentioned a low thyroid level, should I have a full panel taken? What exactly do I ask for and who should I send the results to? I've seen on the other posts that Dr. Dodd is a good choice.

4. I know I have a lot of questions. If you have any useful links that I can refer to for more info. I'd really appreciate it. i just don't any harm to come to my Raina if she does have a problem and I don't do anything about it.

Guest Energy11

Hi there! Yes, a FULL THYRIOD panel is a good idea! :-))

You can have your vet draw it, and send it to Michigan State University, and/or, I THINK Dr. Dodds, as well.

I had Goldie's drawn by my local vet here, and Idexx Labs, sent it to MSU.. then, I forwarded the results to Dr. Dodds. mailto:hemopet@hotmail.com

You might want to email Dr. Dodds, before getting the full panel done, and go from there. THYROID can cause LOTS of problems.

Good Luck!

Your vet probably suggested waiting because the dog has been in your home only a few months. Stress (such as a new home) can cause low thyroid readings as well as reserved behavior. I'd re-evaluate in another 3-4 months. At that time, if warranted, your best bet would be a full thyroid panel from MSU (Michigan State University).

Some dandruff is normal in the winter. Unless she's getting dirty, I wouldn't bathe so often; 3-4 times per year would be plenty. I would mention the scabs to your vet -- that could be a minor staph infection, for which you'd want a course of antibiotics.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Dr. Jean Dodds does run full thyroid panels through her laboratory. Here is the link that you can share with your vet on how to prepare, package and ship the blood to her lab. Based on my experience with her and my Carl, I will only use her and her interpretation.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

One way to evaluate lethargy is the length of walk the dog seems happy with. Our first dog when newly adopted could easily walk two miles and want more. After a couple months he got tired sooner and sooner, until he tired visibly and markedly at one-half mile. That, combined with defensive aggression (growling and snapping if one got too snuggly with him) and small seizures led us to have a thyroid panel run. All of these symptoms were notable because each was a change from his prior behavior. That kind of change can be key in deciding whether your dog has developed a problem or whether it's just the way he is. (Of course, one must be careful with "just the way he is" too since he may have had some kind of pathology when he arrived.)

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Has Raina been checked for tick borne disease? I think that would be my first concern.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest sheila

I have no experience with low thyroid issues. I will say that a bath every 2 wks sounds excessive to me. My hounds have never gotten more than maybe 2 baths a yr. Also when you do bathe her make sure that you rinse and rinse and rinse and when you're done with that rinse again. Dogs fur is really dense and can trap the soapy suds like a sponge.

Have to comment on bathing-- I must bath my allergy hound once every two weeks-- I hate to but, it really keeps the itchies uncontrol which allows me to be able to reduce his meds. My other hound gets bathed maybe twice a year unless she tangles with the very smelly black and white fuzzy kritter that tends to hide under my shed!!!!

Guest mimikay

Is that done with blood work or fecal exam? They were both done 2 wks ago. Came up positive for heartworm for which she is being treated now.

Has Raina been checked for tick borne disease? I think that would be my first concern.

Is that done with blood work or fecal exam? They were both done 2 wks ago. Came up positive for heartworm for which she is being treated now.

It's done through blood work. Here's some info...and here is some greyhound specific info. It's a different test than the heart worm test. My Phoenix ended up having babesia, which is one of those diseases. Here is yet some more info and even more, so put on your reading shoes :lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.