Canine Freestyle Fun And Now Rally, Too!

Guest eaglflyt

Guest eaglflyt

Yes, Ady Bea and I are in Freestyle classes each Saturday and having a blast! It's especially fun to be in class and occasionally do better than the Border Collies! (I can't believe I just said that ... SORRY!) :lol We have some music picked out and should be ready for our first freestyle competition this year ... either March or June. Ady Bea truly loves it. And, we both love class. We both look forward to it each week ... and it keeps us both out of trouble!

We're adding a new class to our schedule this week. We're beginning Rally class! So, we'll see what Rally brings. :)

We do TDI therapy dog work on Tuesdays, go to our groups Show N Tails (meet n greets), have a pretty full life here on the farm, love to visit the pet friendly stores and even visit our vet for a quick cookie or weigh in. We love staying busy and being together!

Ady Bea is my shadow and such a sweetie. She started out when we got her almost 2 years ago (on April 10th) being timid and especially stand offish with men. Now, she's a sweetie that loves to give kisses to everyone and is no longer fearful ... although she can still be just a wee bit timid when approached by men with facial hair. Even that is getting easier and becoming a non-issue!

If you're looking for a great way to socialize your grey and enjoy the company of other dog lovers and enjoy watching your grey learn and succeed ... I strongly suggest signing up for a class at a good training facility that uses only positive training techniques. Ady Bea and I are loving every second and keeping our eyes and ears open for new classes we might enjoy in the future! :colgate

Happy New Year to each of you!!!

Shelly & Ady Bea in OK

It sounds like Ady is a very special girl. I would also love to see a video of Ady (and you) doing her thing.

Phantom and I have been doing agility and she loves it. My instructor did mention Rally to me in one of our last classes... I may have to look into it.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest eaglflyt

It sounds like Ady is a very special girl. I would also love to see a video of Ady (and you) doing her thing.

Phantom and I have been doing agility and she loves it. My instructor did mention Rally to me in one of our last classes... I may have to look into it.

Yes, Rally is compatible with ANY other discipline your dog may enjoy. It helps with attention and focus and it's fun. I'll let you know how it goes for us.

We would love to do agility, but I'm the limiting factor for Ady Bea in that. I just can't be outside that much and my knees are a mess. All our area agility classes are outdoors and it isn't possible for me, or hubby, to even attempt. I do think Ady Bea would love it though.

I'd love to see some pictures or video of you and Phantom doing agility! Please. :colgate

Edited by eaglflyt

Ummm yes Missy, photo / vid of you two are also required. Well, maybe not required.

Appreciated? :lol

Sounds awesome!

Rally is good fun, not too hard on the person or the dog. One of my classes even had a blind dog who had previously been an agility competitor and needed something to do.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yes, Ady Bea and I are in Freestyle classes each Saturday and having a blast! It's especially fun to be in class and occasionally do better than the Border Collies! (I can't believe I just said that ... SORRY!) :lol

:lol

I love seeing threads like this in T&B! Sounds like you too are keeping yourselves busy, which is awesome. I too would love to see video of you doing Freestyle together.

I was just considering agility for Zuri, but the instructor I'd like to work with isn't likely to start offering classes for a while and I found a class I'm more excited about - advanced obedience with Pat Miller. She told me that aside from 2 behaviors, everything will be taught using shaping only, I'm so excited!!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest eaglflyt

Yes, Ady Bea and I are in Freestyle classes each Saturday and having a blast! It's especially fun to be in class and occasionally do better than the Border Collies! (I can't believe I just said that ... SORRY!) :lol

:lol

I love seeing threads like this in T&B! Sounds like you too are keeping yourselves busy, which is awesome. I too would love to see video of you doing Freestyle together.

I was just considering agility for Zuri, but the instructor I'd like to work with isn't likely to start offering classes for a while and I found a class I'm more excited about - advanced obedience with Pat Miller. She told me that aside from 2 behaviors, everything will be taught using shaping only, I'm so excited!!

Oh MY!!!! A class with *the* actual Pat Miller??? AWESOME!!! I'm sure you are going to love it and your pup will too!!! Please tell us all about it as you attend classes. Do you intend to compete in obedience? I'd love to see pics from your classes!

I agree. I love these threads too. I think greyhounds are capable of so much more than most people think ... especially in the established dog world! This is awesome!!! :wub:

Guest eaglflyt

Sounds awesome!

Rally is good fun, not too hard on the person or the dog. One of my classes even had a blind dog who had previously been an agility competitor and needed something to do.

I love hearing about what dogs can do and how we as humans underestimate them. My freestyle instructor, Laura Ormsby, was reminding us on Saturday that we all frequently sell our pups short. She reminded us that it is dogs that lead blind people through heavy city traffic and keep their humans safe, they act as ears for the deaf, they can detect seizures before they occur in humans, they can detect cancer before human physicians do, they assist those with disabilities, they can tell when we need their attention ... so why do we fret when we think they should learn a certain move or behavior more quickly or act surprised when they recognize another dog or human from their past? We just don't give them the actual credit they are due and it's usually us, the humans, that are somehow not doing the training correctly or understanding the real problem that needs to be addressed when a dog has issues.

We're looking forward to Rally. I don't know if we'll ever compete, but we will definitely have fun. :colgate

Oh MY!!!! A class with *the* actual Pat Miller??? AWESOME!!! I'm sure you are going to love it and your pup will too!!! Please tell us all about it as you attend classes. Do you intend to compete in obedience? I'd love to see pics from your classes!

I agree. I love these threads too. I think greyhounds are capable of so much more than most people think ... especially in the established dog world! This is awesome!!! :wub:

Someone outside our area who appreciates that I'm taking a class with Pat Miller!! :yay I'm actually driving an hour and a half each way to take it. Most people probably think I'm crazy, but I love her and there's no class like this offered anywhere closer so I decided it's worth it.

I don't have any interest in competing - if I wanted to compete in anything with Z it would be flyball, but the flyball people meet on Saturday nights. :( I just want to do something with Zuri and I love shaping but really need work on my skills! Plus it's Pat Miller! I've done consults with her for fosters and once for Zuri and attended her reactive rover 3-day workshop with my ex and his aggressive dog so I've had a lot of good opportunities to interact with her, but never a full class with just my dog. Can you tell I'm excited? :rolleyes:

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I think that is great! I would love to do more like that with my guys. I may have to reduce my weekends at running events like NOTRA due to the extreme cost of gas and the far distances these events require traveling. There's lots of obedience and rally in my own city, though (trials as well as classes).

Guest eaglflyt

Someone outside our area who appreciates that I'm taking a class with Pat Miller!! :yay I'm actually driving an hour and a half each way to take it. Most people probably think I'm crazy, but I love her and there's no class like this offered anywhere closer so I decided it's worth it.

I don't have any interest in competing - if I wanted to compete in anything with Z it would be flyball, but the flyball people meet on Saturday nights. :( I just want to do something with Zuri and I love shaping but really need work on my skills! Plus it's Pat Miller! I've done consults with her for fosters and once for Zuri and attended her reactive rover 3-day workshop with my ex and his aggressive dog so I've had a lot of good opportunities to interact with her, but never a full class with just my dog. Can you tell I'm excited? :rolleyes:

Yes, I can tell you're excited!!! I would be too!!!! I've read a lot of Pat Miller's writings ... own some books by her and would LOVE to take a class with her. I read her articles in Whole Dog Journal each time it arrives!!! :D I'd drive a long way too, but sadly, driving from OK to the east coast would probably make both Ady Bea and I too tired to do well in class. :lol

If we really want to understand and train dogs .... Pat Miller, Patricia J. McConnell, Karen Pryor are among those on my short list!

Edited by eaglflyt

If we really want to understand and train dogs .... Pat Miller, Patricia J. McConnell, Karen Pryor are among those on my short list!

:nod I always forget that she writes for Whole Dog Journal as well.

The thing I love most about her - she has the most calm, subdued personality. She is so good at listening and teaching, not just at knowing stuff about dogs. :P Since I also like to teach people but don't quite have those qualities, I really feel like she can only be a positive influence on me. :lol

Your instructors sound great!

Guest eaglflyt

:nod I always forget that she writes for Whole Dog Journal as well.

The thing I love most about her - she has the most calm, subdued personality. She is so good at listening and teaching, not just at knowing stuff about dogs. :P Since I also like to teach people but don't quite have those qualities, I really feel like she can only be a positive influence on me. :lol

Your instructors sound great!

Thanks! Please give us updates on your class as it progresses. I think the traits of being calm and subdued might help me out, too! B)

My first girlie was quite shy when I got her. We started obedience and then discovered Rally after she got her CD. Rally is the best fun. You work as a team and your dog really learns to focus and pay attention. We also did a freestyle one day seminar and learned some fun moves. I've never really considered competing, but it is a great way to get exercise for us during the winter months.

I, too, would love to see some video or pictures.

june

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eaglflyt

We had our first Rally class Saturday, Jan. 14th. What FUN!!! We laughed until we couldn't laugh any more! Ady Bea did GREAT!!! If I can just keep from getting dizzy and turned around with the signs, we should have great fun with this. :colgate I can highly recommend taking a Rally class with your hound. :D

Now, I just need to apply to AKC for her PAL/ILP credentials so we can compete this Spring ... if we continue to make progress. ;)

Oh, and we're still enjoying Freestyle, too! We've added jump, spin and weaves to our repertoire recently. We're SMOKIN'!!!! :lol

Oh, and we're still enjoying Freestyle, too! We've added jump, spin and weaves to our repertoire recently. We're SMOKIN'!!!!
We need independent verification of this claim via PICTURES or VIDEO. :P Good girl, Ady Bea! Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter