Lots Of Marking!

Lauren here, with Bernie the Pee Machine!

As some of you already know, Bernie has separation anxiety, and he has lost control of his bladder nearly every time he's been alone since we got him in October. Fortunately, that issue seems to be getting better - slowly but surely!

He is healthy, according to our vet. We took him in back in October. Bloodwork, urine sample, and fecal sample, we were told, were all 'normal.'

Lately, though, Bernie has (unpleasantly) surprised us with a new behavior: he likes to mark inside pet stores!

Bernie has visited a pet supply store - named 'Mounds Pet Food Warehouse' - at least five, six, seven times between October and November, and he's always been a good boy during those trips. This past weekend, though, we took him to a new Petsmart that he had not visited before. As Justin and I were ooo-ing and awe-ing for a split second at two adoptable cats in a cage, I heard a *trickling* nose, and saw Bernie lifting his leg, hosing down a pair of cat slippers on an end-of-aisle display!!! :o:angry: (Embarrassed out of our minds, we told him 'No,' only once without making a big scene, and let him finish outdoors. I helped a clerk girl clean it up, and I bought the cat slippers and threw them away!)

Today, Justin took him to Mounds - that he's visited a handful of times previously, with no marking incidents. Justin told me that not even a minute inside the store today, Bernie lifted his leg, but Justin abruptly told him, 'NO,' and Bernie put his leg down. And, they continued just fine with their shopping excursion.

I'm scratching my head here? Why is he suddenly doing this, and how can I prevent it??? :unsure

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Because he's a male dog, and because he can!

The ONLY time George has ever tried to mark was in a pet store.

It happens ALL THE TIME so your boy probably smelled another dog's pee and just did was boys do.

Oh, he also peed on the reception desk at the vet, but I was glad 'cause they kept me waiting FOREVER just to pay the bill!

As long as he stopped when corrected, I would consider this relatively normal behavior he can be taught to curtail.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Because he's a male dog, and because he can!

The ONLY time George has ever tried to mark was in a pet store.

It happens ALL THE TIME so your boy probably smelled another dog's pee and just did was boys do.

Oh, he also peed on the reception desk at the vet, but I was glad 'cause they kept me waiting FOREVER just to pay the bill!

As long as he stopped when corrected, I would consider this relatively normal behavior he can be taught to curtail.

LOL - I forgot to mention that he is our first Greyhound. He is also my first dog. So, I'm learning about dog behaviors :rolleyes::colgate

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Guest Sweetreba

My male Petey has always been good. Then one day when our group had a booth at the Home and Flower show he lifted his leg on a T shirt booth. He was going on the pole by it but the shirts were near. Luckily it did not hit any but I was so embarrassed I ordered him a Belly Band and when I am out somewhere like that he wears it just in case. Sometimes he won't lift and other times yes so I go prepared now. In the house he is great and never lifted.

If you go to a pet store like Petsmart, I guarantee you that some other dog has beat your boy to it. It's the reason Petsmart has squirt bottles with cleaning solution and paper towels at the ends of the isles. They are there for customers to use to clean up after their dogs. From now on, make sure he has thoroughly emptied his bladder and bowels before entering the store and at the first sign of a raised leg, do just what you're doing, a firm NO. I've also found it helpful to try and keep my hound/hounds in the middle of the isle and away from the corners especially because that's where males love hike their legs.:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

HA! What GeorgeofNE said!

I had my dogs out once at a little dog event that was at a dog park. Outside, in a dog park where dogs were free to roam and pee where they want right? This lady had a table set up (in the grass, at the dog park) and a nice little plastic banner advertising the rescue group she was advocating for attached to the front of her table. My dog hiked his leg up as we were in front of the table and this woman lost it! She started shrieking, 'OMG! DON'T LET HIM PEE ON IT!!!!' and came running to the front with paper towels and spray cleaner to scrub at it furiously while shooting me dirty looks. Everyone around us was looking at her like she was mad and shaking their heads and chuckling. The poor woman was in for a LONG LONG afternoon that's for sure! :P

The only time Phoenix has ever lifted his left inside was at a PetSmart. It happens.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I agree with everyone else. Rocky never marks, ever. He's stayed in hotels, at friend's houses, been to meet & greets in shopping malls, clothing stores, book stores, etc. He's about as reliable of a non-marker as you're ever going to find.

Petsmart & Petco? Instantly wants to pee on EVERYTHING.

I just keep him on a short lead and keep an eye on him.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

That's why I'll never buy dog food from the bottom shelf/shelves at Petsmart :)

Lin, with Nick the Greyhound
Missing my girls Nadia, Tallulah, Cinderella, and my heart-dog Alexa, and my precious boys Twister, Loki, and Kevin

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

My boy Bart will mark vertical objects outside, not inside. So when my wife and I take him to outside festivals in Chicago, or the Covered Bridge Festival in Parke County Indiana every year, we make sure that he is wearing a belly band. Simple fix and he only wears it when we are at these festivals.

That's why I'll never buy dog food from the bottom shelf/shelves at Petsmart :)

That's why I'll never buy anything from the bottom shelves at Petsmart - or anything that looks "water-damaged" B)

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest thedozer

Dozer is a marker too and even after 6 months is still wearing a belly band in the house when not crated. We try to watch him like a hawk, but inevitably he will hike his leg the second I turn my back! No suggestions here, but I feel your pain! He even marked on my son at the park recently...my son was mortified, but of course my daughter was laid out on the ground laughing!

Guest zombrie

If you go to a pet store like Petsmart, I guarantee you that some other dog has beat your boy to it. It's the reason Petsmart has squirt bottles with cleaning solution and paper towels at the ends of the isles. They are there for customers to use to clean up after their dogs. From now on, make sure he has thoroughly emptied his bladder and bowels before entering the store and at the first sign of a raised leg, do just what you're doing, a firm NO. I've also found it helpful to try and keep my hound/hounds in the middle of the isle and away from the corners especially because that's where males love hike their legs.:lol

:nod

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Brindled_Greys

When we first got Thriller, he marked our entire back yard, I suppose to make it "his"! And he seemed to think our inside floor plants were convenient indoor "rest stops"! Took a bit to teach him otherwise, but they do learn. Still, might keep an eye out if they get stressed for any reason!