Found A Leftover Stitch In My Boy From His Neutering

Guest Ginger

HI ! I am brand new to greytalk, and fairly new to greyhounds - adopted my first one last October, and now have 3 !!! Love love love the greys ! I have two boys and one girl and also 2 labrador retrievers. My labs are 14 yrs old. My newest boy grey, I've had for a few months loves to roll over on his back when you pet him so he can get a good tummy rub ! Anyway, the window was open, and the light was really good in my office today, and I noticed that he still had a stitch left over from when he was neutered ! Then I see a bit of what looks like white ooze coming out of his private part ! Should I bring him to get checked out? Not sure if there could be any ramifications of leaving a stitch in so long. I was able to get out some clippers and remove it, but just concerned if whether or not he could be having any undiagnosed problem from this? Oddly enough, my first male grey that I got last year had a stitch left in also that I had to remove - his was very long and obvious, so I got rid of it right away. I think I'm going to send a nice note to the organization to do a better job here, just seems like it's probably happening to a lot of them if I've had two already. Thanks for any advice.

The stitches may have been dissolving stitches which are not typically removed, just allowed to disintegrate over time and fall out on their own.

The tiny white discharge from his penis is normal for a healthy male dog, as long as it's not profuse, or discolored (yellow or green).

Welcome to Greytalk! :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I myself have had absorbable stitches "pop out" weeks to months after surgery; sometmes there's a bit of exudate (isn't that a nice word?) with them, but once the stitch is removed, the spot dries up and heals up quickly. *If* you see redness, swelling, feel heat, or see more pus, then get to a vet toot sweet.

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

I myself have had absorbable stitches "pop out" weeks to months after surgery; sometmes there's a bit of exudate (isn't that a nice word?) with them, but once the stitch is removed, the spot dries up and heals up quickly. *If* you see redness, swelling, feel heat, or see more pus, then get to a vet toot sweet.

Jennifer

Ahhhh....didn't even think about the absorbable kind ! Hopefully that's what it was. Thanks to all of you for your responses. Mama is feeling better about this now !!!

:nod

]If they are purple they are the asorbable kind which a lot of vets use on boys and some do take a while to absorb -- seems to vary by the dog (maybe different body chemistry?) I've had several boy fosters who's hung around 'til it bugged me and I just took the stitch or two out myself after a few weeks.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

If it was a knot, they frequently take longer to dissolve. My girl removed her own knot when it didn't dissolve. I didn't even realize it was bothering her, I knew the little lump was there and I could see it was a little slower healing but it must have itched because she just licked it open and took the knot out (it was all that was left). The rest of the little incision healed in two days.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana