Could Use Some Prayers

Guest caelanarcher

Guest caelanarcher

I talked to our regular vet, and he said that he agrees with the e-vet's choice to put Aaron on the doxy. He says that the WBC count is slightly elevated, but otherwise the bloodwork is unremarkable. So basically, it's still a waiting game, to see whether the antibiotics work or not.

Aaron's seeming much more active, although it's hard to tell if the swelling has gone down at all. He was feeling well enough that we made the trip to my parents' house for the holidays. They don't have as many steps to go up and down, and it helps to have more eyes on him. Plus, it's good for my nerves to be surrounded by family while we wait to see what happens.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and prayers. When the e-vet dropped the c-word, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Your support and information have really given me the strength to look at the options out there. I'll be sure to keep you updated.

Guest caelanarcher

Latest update:

Aaron has been feeling up the past couple of days, and his nodes seem to be just a smidge smaller, but they're still definitely, visibly swollen. The side/base of his penis is bright red, and he's got what looks like a rash down the back of one leg. I think he's feeling a little tender today; he yelped when someone bumped against his leg, and again when he flopped over onto his side. Today's his last day of antibiotics, and then I think we're back to the vet on Monday, probably for a FNA. Still no idea what's going on, but it's hard to be in the Christmas spirit when I know that I've probably got some tough choices on the horizon.

Guest caelanarcher

Aaron went to the vet on Tuesday for a follow-up, since the doxy didn't seem to be doing anything. The vet took a culture of the rash on his belly, and it came back as bacterial. He switched us to prednisone to reduce the swelling and trimethoprim-sulfa to wipe out the infection. The doc said he wanted to give the new antibiotic a shot against the swollen nodes. The trimeth is 2x/day. The pred is 2x/day for 3 days, 1x/day for 5 days, then every other day. Aaron now has his own daily pill box. And an elizabethan collar to keep him from chewing at the rash.

But after 2 days on the new antibiotics, the lymph nodes are going down! They're definitely much smaller, and not as hard as they've been for the past few days. I've got a follow-up call with the vet again on Monday, but I'm feeling really good about the results so far. :colgate

Praying as fast and hard as I can that this is just an infection and that the new antbx work like a charm! Hugs to you and extra ear scritches for Aaron!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I"m thrilled to read that the nodes are going down!!! Continued major prayers for your baby!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.