Dermal Hermangiosarcoma

Butte is 6 years old and has just had his second dermal hermangiosarcoma removed. The first was sent for histopathology and was labeled as hermangiosarcoma. The interval beween the two instances is 15 months. Butte is eating and doing well and seems to be pain free. The question: Has anyone had a greyhound with dermal hermangio go on to have it attack a body organ? Wondering and worrying about my boy.

Sorry - I don't know. But I wanted you to know you and Butte are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs coming from Jersey.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Not a greyhound, but a whippet. He came to us with dermal hemangiosarcoma, but it was pretty severe......small tumors everywhere on his body. We would remove the larger ones, but eventually the cancer moved internally and we lost him. sad.gif But, as I said, his case was pretty severe.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

My Bridge angel Cassie had a dermal hemangio removed and it never came back.

IIRC it was removed in early 2005 and she lived several more years.

From my past readings on dermal hemangio it was about 1/3 of cases will spread internally.

But who knows with that study on how early they were caught and removed.

So I think with early detection and removal you have a much slimmer chance of them going internal.

Hope that helps to comfort you a bit :grouphug

I thought the dermal hemangiosarcoma isn't the bad one and the subcutaneous hemangiosarcoma is the deadly one. My boy Marx (age 10) has been diagnosed with subcutaneous hemangiosarcoma. He has multiple lesions and one has become farily large near his pee pee. We have chosen not to have it removed because it is in a place that will be very difficult to heal and if it's deep in the tissue could turn into a nightmare. So we are closely watching him. A new lesion has shown itself on his ear and on his right hind leg. We did have a lesion removed from his left inner leg and it has not returned. Had another removed from his left chest (not clean margins) Of course there is a chance that this will spread to his organs but as of yet that has not happened. He had an ultrasound not long ago and all was clean as well as a chest xray that was clean. It is a scary scary situation and I am terrified that he will suffer from massive bleeding internally. I hope and pray every day this will not happen and that if things do spread we will let him go before it happens.

I am sending prayers your way.

Praying for all the missing greys!

Guest freightsmom

Freightliner has dermal hemangiosarcoma and has had 4 places removed (with clean margins) over the last 2 years. When he was first diagnosed, I went on the internet and found this site which may be helpful to you. www.caninecancerawareness.org It has good info on the different types of hemangiosarcoma.

I still worry that his cancer will eventually spread to his organs but balance that fear by being attentive to any skin changes and taking him to his dermatologist promptly. I totally trust his dermatologist and her recommendations for him.

Sending good wishes from Freightliner to your hound :bighug

• 5 months later...
Guest mads0100

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info too. My grey just had a dermal hemangiosarcoma tumor removed and it was nice to read that it can be managed as long as it hasn't metastasized.

Chris

Good question. I am sorry to read about these hounds (the OP's and the others in this thread). My positive thoughts are with you and your hounds for a long, comfortable life.

We never found a dermal hemangiosarcoma on my girl after her late retirement. She did have a subcutaneous hemangiosarcoma removed last year. Margins were not clear. I've been sooo worried about her... I thought she wasn't going to live more than a few weeks to 1 (or 2) months max. To complicate matters, she also has advanced laryngeal paralysis, and a bleeding disorder. As of today, she's still very much alive, happy, and still appears comfortable (re: the cancer) almost ten months later. (Currently, her LP is much more restrictive than the cancer.) My point, in retrospect: I wish I had avoided the stressful mindset of her meeting her demise so soon. I absolutely feel that remaining alert to skin changes and seeking rapid medical attention is critically important. I simply wish I hadn't been so stressed and worried. Treasuring every day, absolutely yes, just like with every hound. However, the past ten months could have been much more pleasurable had I looked at her as living rather than dying.

Please try not to worry about your hounds too much, stay alert, but enjoy their lives.