Hello From Ohio

llm51807

I just wanted to introduce our family and thank you all for the wonderful information these past few months! I'm Lori - my husband and I adopted Cecil (formerly Jiminy Cecil) from GAO in August this year. He's our first greyhound and while I did a ton of reading and research before we adopted, we still had lots of new questions once we brought him home. This forum has been an enormous help to us! I tend to over-analyze everything and judging by some of the topics and threads here, I'm not the only one! I don't think I've had a single question I couldn't get answered here. Greytalk is a tremendous resource.

Cecil is a handsome roman nosed boy who is even-tempered, smart, and a real pleaser (even compared to some G. Retrievers and Labs I know!). We couldn't be happier with him. We're currently enrolled in a Canine Good Citizen class and we're hoping to start doing Therapy Dog work next year. He loves to ride in the car and meet new people and see new places.

Cecil gained a brother, Ivan, when we adopted him. Ivan is a 15 year old G. Retriever Beagle mix with the happiest, most smiling face in the world. Don't let that fool you though, he can be a curmudgeon and clearly thinks he rules the roost. Cecil let's him think he's the boss and everyone gets along just fine. The tolerance they show each other is inspiring.

Thank you all! Here are a few pics of the furry family - I hope these show up - not exactly sure how this works, but if they don't I'll try again:

Cecil.Fall.10.1

Cecil Profile

Ivan 2

What a handsome boy! Welcome from Canada, where his full sister Jiminy Violet lives! I met his sister and, if he's anything like her, you are really going to enjoy him! Even in the kennel environment, Violet showed herself to be a gentle and loving soul, very calm.

Edit.: She is a blue fawn, too. What a wonderful color!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Hi Lori and Welcome - I remember Cecil from the GAO kennel because I'm there most Saturday mornings for turnout. It sounds like he is doing GREAT. Love the pictures. He is the most handsome blue fawn roman-nosed boy. :) Hope to see him again in person someday!

Edited by bethac

What a handsome boy! Welcome from Canada, where his full sister Jiminy Violet lives! I met his sister and, if he's anything like her, you are really going to enjoy him! Even in the kennel environment, Violet showed herself to be a gentle and loving soul, very calm.

Yes, I saw that Violet was up for adoption a few months after we got Cecil. I hope Violet found a great home - she looked beautiful, also a Blue Fawn, I think? ! I was tempted to call and find out if we could adopt from Ohio but Cecil was just too new to us and I wanted to be sure everyone was settled before we added any more new personalities! His sister N's Miss N Cash is up for adoption in MI right now, but I've asked a lot of Ivan our old boy and don't think he'd care for another big, tall sibling right now! He's not as nimble as he used to be and sometimes gets caught up in Cecil's long legs!

Hi Lori and Welcome - I remember Cecil from the GAO kennel because I'm there most Saturday mornings for turnout. It sounds like he is doing GREAT. Love the pictures. He is the most handsome blue fawn roman-nosed boy. :) Hope to see him again in person someday!

We're from the Youngstown area so GAO is a little far for us; I wish we were closer so we could be more involved with events. I've heard people mention that there are greyhounds in our area, but I've not seen any yet. Most people around here have no idea what kind of dog he is - I'm not sure some even know he IS a dog. He's not seen a greyhound since we brought him home in August and I wonder if he misses them. Hopefully we'll find a playgroup or friend in the spring - even if we have to drive to Akron or Cleveland - he LOVES the car.

Guest momofevie

We're from the Youngstown area so GAO is a little far for us; I wish we were closer so we could be more involved with events. I've heard people mention that there are greyhounds in our area, but I've not seen any yet. Most people around here have no idea what kind of dog he is - I'm not sure some even know he IS a dog. He's not seen a greyhound since we brought him home in August and I wonder if he misses them. Hopefully we'll find a playgroup or friend in the spring - even if we have to drive to Akron or Cleveland - he LOVES the car.

Congratulations and welcome! :wave

What part of town do you live in? My parents are in Canfield, so my greyhound and I are often in the area.

Edited by momofevie

momofevie, we're also in Canfield, so if you're ever looking for a playmate when you're visiting your parents let us know. We don't have a dog park in the area yet - I think it will be completed next year, but we have a fenced yard for playing. It's not large enough to allow him to really stride out, but enough room for some fast circles! Not sure if you're from here originally, but we've got some great parks for walking/running and hiking.

Guest momofevie

momofevie, we're also in Canfield, so if you're ever looking for a playmate when you're visiting your parents let us know. We don't have a dog park in the area yet - I think it will be completed next year, but we have a fenced yard for playing. It's not large enough to allow him to really stride out, but enough room for some fast circles! Not sure if you're from here originally, but we've got some great parks for walking/running and hiking.

Small world! I'd love to get together for a play date when I'm in town. Feel free to send me your e-mail address at stephanie4mcc@yahoo.com.

I was raised in Boardman and Canfield, so I've spent lots of time in Mill Creek Park, Boardman Park etc. You're right, great outdoor spaces! My parents currently live off Shields across from Argus Park, and while they have nearly 2 acres, no fenced yard. Will be really nice when the dog park is finally in.

Again, welcome to the world of greyhounds. Good luck with Cecil!

Guest mom2hounds

Hi! We live near Youngstown too. We adopted from GAO in April. I remember Cecil from the kennel. He is such a handsome boy. Welcome to GT. It would be great if we could start some kind of play date, or at least a walk in one of the parks. Where is he going for his obedience lessions? The owner of a Place for Paws raises AKC greys.

Welcome from Van Wet, Ohio. There are no greys around my town. I talk about them to everyone. One of my second graders told me last week that they adopted a greyhound. I can't wait to talk to his mom to find out. He told me that it chases his cat all over the upstairs. Sounds like it could be a grey!

Hi! We live near Youngstown too. We adopted from GAO in April. I remember Cecil from the kennel. He is such a handsome boy. Welcome to GT. It would be great if we could start some kind of play date, or at least a walk in one of the parks. Where is he going for his obedience lessions? The owner of a Place for Paws raises AKC greys.

Hi! Great to know there are at least a few greys around town! I've been taking him to The Learning Dog in Hubbard, so far he's doing very well and seems to like it. I remember reading about a Place for Paws but had forgotten about it when it came time to sign him up. They're in Columbiana which is much closer for us, but Cecil loves the car ride - so maybe too close :). We'd love to do a play date or walk sometime. We're not afraid to walk in the cold, but unless it gets into the 30's or is at least very sunny, it's not much fun. Feel free to email me sometime - I'd love to hear about your hound and coordinate a date for a Ytown greyhound meet up. I'm new here and not familiar with all the personal messaging stuff yet so: lorim1@zoominternet.net

• 1 month later...