Pulled Muscle.... .bruise?

Guest greytbookert

Guest greytbookert

Poor Eric started to do a zoomie yesterday afternoon and I watched his leg twist and then he was limping and knuckling. We watched him for a bit and while there was a limp every so often, it wasn't horrible, so we decided to watch him. Well, he is sore but bearing weight and is letting us manipulate the leg and hip area without any obvious signs of discomfort. However, this evening, I noticed a decent sized bruise on his upper inside thigh (rear right leg). I know when I've pulled a muscle, I've never had a bruise... is this common or could there be something more sinister going on? Any ideas? Most likely, we'll be headed to the vet tomorrow...

Poor Eric, his 12th birthday is on Tuesday.....

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about this. Poor Guy!

That looks it could be some bleeding under the skin ... ?? Hard to tell from photo. Could have happened when he hurt himself. You can try some warm compresses on it and go from there. I'd take him to the vet if it gets worse, OR if it hasn't gone down by tomorrow.

Hugs and good luck!

Torn muscle produces bruising. PM LynnM or onrushpam or Hubcitypam re ice vs. heat, or whether you want to alternate.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytbookert

I was thinking some sort of bleeding too but DH told me to shut off my brain (impossible!) He didn't fall, so I don't know what it could be

I'll try to get a better picture when he is standing. I'm not going to disturb his beauty sleep :)

Guest Energy11

Torn muscle produces bruising. PM LynnM or onrushpam or Hubcitypam re ice vs. heat, or whether you want to alternate.

With humans, you can alternate. Usually, it is whatever works. When I worked ER, the docs recommended both.

Good Luck and lots of hugs!

Look when he's standing, from the back and see if there is any change in shape to that muscle. My first thought was that he dropped a muscle. Valentino came to me with a bruised thigh because the muscle tore and dropped. You could definitely see that it was different in shape than the other leg. If that's it, there's nothing you can do but let it heal up on it's own.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest greytbookert

Look when he's standing, from the back and see if there is any change in shape to that muscle. My first thought was that he dropped a muscle. Valentino came to me with a bruised thigh because the muscle tore and dropped. You could definitely see that it was different in shape than the other leg. If that's it, there's nothing you can do but let it heal up on it's own.

Thanks Judy - This is what I'm leaning towards, since I thought I saw a shape change but wasn't sure if my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Normally in about 24 hrs you will see the full results of the bruising.

Torn muscles and dropped muscles will bruise pretty badly but as far as mobility it really doesn't effect them a whole lot. They should still be weight bearing and sure a bit sore.

Of course with an active racer it would really effect their stride but we are talking pets so I don't think you have to worry about him loosing time doing his laps ;)

Like Judy said, a dropped muscle will result in a bunched up area lower on that butt muscle. Where torn muscle might leave a bit of a divot or really no signs of anything other then bruising.

Not a whole lot you can do with them.

When we discovered after adoption that Shane had a dropped thigh muscle, vet said rest him for two weeks -- no walks, leash for doing business. Other than that, nothing to do.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Yep, that's what I was thinking too. :nod It's a fairly typical greyhound injury, and can tear in three stages. To me, (though not a vet) it looks as if he only has a partial tear, but you may see more bruising tomorrow. If it's only partially torn, it may well tear again, but don't worry too much. It looks awful, but it heals in the dropped position and it isn't really a big deal. Ice may help, but do protect his skin from the cold with a cloth. The skin inside the thigh is very delicate and ice can burn. ;)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest greytbookert

oh yes, the "bruising" is much worse today, very dark purple... poor kid. However, the shape looks symmetrical to the other thigh and he isn't cooperating with the ice. but I'll keep trying and protect the skin since he is very bald :blush