Potassium Supplementation?

Wonder

Sparks had something new happen last night around midnight. He stood up (without any help and did great!), whimpered, then started crying/screaming.

I went over and he was holding his left, front leg almost straight out and wouldn't put any weight on it.

He leaned against me and I could see it stiffen for a second or so and then stop. He'd cry/scream when it stiffened.

This went on for a few seconds and the other dogs rushed over so I had to keep them away from him.

Afterwards, he was fine and walked ok, just a little wobbly.

I emailed my vet right away- he replied back that he wasn't sure why that happened and maybe a cramp?

He suggested adding a potassium supplement.

Anyone have any info?

edited to add:

there's only 2 things he will currently eat: natural balance meat rolls and ground turkey backs plus all the treats that I can give him. So the supplement would need to be in pill form so I can shove down the hatch.

update 11/28- he will eat the molasses :yay I just need to confirm with my vet on how much.

Last night around 11:30, Sparks got up and started whimpering and then screaming. This time it was his front, right leg that had the spasm. He was leaning against me because he couldn't walk or stand. I noticed that his left, rear leg was also rigid and the toes were curled under and back. This went on a few seconds and then he was able to walk.

Happened again around 3am but it was the left, front leg this time. Again for a few seconds and then he walked just fine with a slight limp.

I don't know if these cramps or whatever start and then he tries to get up or if they happen because he got up wrong.

I need to email my vet but this is freaking me out.

I'm really worried it will happen when I'm not home and he's going to seriously hurt himself. He can't stand when these incidents happen and leans against me.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Banana's work great if you can get him to eat them.

Does sound like a cramp.

He's never touched one before and I've tried :lol

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Tell Sparks he has my sympathy -- I get leg cramps too.

They have pretty much quit since I started eating a few dried apricots a day -- but that probably won't work for you.

My suggestion would be to see if he likes spinach -- it is very high in potassium and all my dogs have loved greens of all kinds.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Does sound like a cramp.

Well then how about these:

Apples, Apricots, Bananas, Brazil Nuts, Brown Rice, Cantaloupe, Figs, Honeydew, Kiwi, Legumes, Lima beans, Milk, Oranges, Orange Juice, Peaches, Potatoes, Prunes, Rasins, Roasted Peanuts with skin, Spinach, Squash, Vegetable Juices, Wheat Bread, White Rice, Winter Squash, Yogurt

<li>Tomatoes, milk products, avocados, meats, potato, celery

<li>Carrots, broccoli, rasins, prunes, watermelon,

<li>Fish: Cod, flounder, sardines, salmon, poultry: chicken, turkey are high potassium foods.

<li>Hamburger, grains such as bran and wheat.

<li>Artichoke, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Corn, Dates, Green Beans, Green Peppers, Iceburg

<li>Letttuce, Kidney Beans, Onions, Papayas, Parsley, Pumpkin, Peas, Romaine Lettuce, Strawberries, Sweet Potato, Tomato. Note that potassium is found in the skin of many vegetables.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Does sound like a cramp.

Well then how about these:

Apples, Apricots, Bananas, Brazil Nuts, Brown Rice, Cantaloupe, Figs, Honeydew, Kiwi, Legumes, Lima beans, Milk, Oranges, Orange Juice, Peaches, Potatoes, Prunes, Rasins, Roasted Peanuts with skin, Spinach, Squash, Vegetable Juices, Wheat Bread, White Rice, Winter Squash, Yogurt

<li>Tomatoes, milk products, avocados, meats, potato, celery

<li>Carrots, broccoli, rasins, prunes, watermelon,

<li>Fish: Cod, flounder, sardines, salmon, poultry: chicken, turkey are high potassium foods.

<li>Hamburger, grains such as bran and wheat.

<li>Artichoke, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Corn, Dates, Green Beans, Green Peppers, Iceburg

<li>Letttuce, Kidney Beans, Onions, Papayas, Parsley, Pumpkin, Peas, Romaine Lettuce, Strawberries, Sweet Potato, Tomato. Note that potassium is found in the skin of many vegetables.

See my edit to post 1

Would need it in pill form

Did you ever smear peanut butter on a banana? Mine all love bananas, when I try to eat one seems like we all get one bite. :lol

He won't eat peanut butter :(

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

If he's eating ground turkey the molasses could be mixed in and he probably wouldn't be able to tell. Even a teaspoon of it would have more potassium than most of the foods listed.

I'll try it but I'm worried he will then refuse eating the gr turkey- he's being very picky in his old age.

He used to eat anything and everything until about a year ago.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Just try with a small bit of the turkey and a little of the molasses to see if he'll eat it. I think he'd be able to smell the difference in the turkey when you add it so if he didn't want to eat it it's unlikely he would refuse the turkey that you don't add it to.

Of course I'm sure there are potassium tablets, but natural forms found in foods are much better.

I agree with Phillypups. Don't give potassium pills without checking on the dosage with a vet, it can be dangerous. There are a ton of foods with high potassium content, just make sure they're not high sodium too, or it will counteract the potassium content.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I'm glad to hear he's eating the molasses. I'd be interested in how much your vet tells you to give him. When I was home-cooking for Nadir I used a diet that recommended 1 Tbs a day for a 75lb and 2 tsps for a 50lb dog.

I was just reading something interesting from the book Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog.

It says old-time breeders used blackstrap molasses together with seaweed or kelp in their dog's diet to keep the pigmentation of the nose, eye rims and mouth dark.

Edited by 4My2Greys

I just picked up a holistic book for dogs and am going to try to add some other things. I don't recall off hand other than Vit E and C to add.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Is Wonder on thyroid meds at all? I get those curled-toe cramps when my dosage is either too high or too low. (Iron and vitamin D also play into my scenario.) I also got them when I had a recently herniated disk with a bonus cartilage chip floating around and occasionally connecting with a nerve.

Magnesium comes to mind as possibly helpful too.

Don't know if any of this is helpful, buy you probably want to consider everything possible! Hope this gets settled soon. I can imagine how awful it must be for you!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Is Wonder on thyroid meds at all? I get those curled-toe cramps when my dosage is either too high or too low. (Iron and vitamin D also play into my scenario.) I also got them when I had a recently herniated disk with a bonus cartilage chip floating around and occasionally connecting with a nerve.

Magnesium comes to mind as possibly helpful too.

Don't know if any of this is helpful, buy you probably want to consider everything possible! Hope this gets settled soon. I can imagine how awful it must be for you!

Sparks is not on Thyroid meds.

He's only on prednisone and tramadol.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17