Lameness In Front Leg--What Is The Problem?

Guest andrealynch

Guest andrealynch

Hi Everyone!

So I had a foster die of osteo--and I am paranoid with my older boy who is 10 1/2 years old. He is my heart hound, so I watch his health like a hawk--if he got osteo, I just don't know what I'd do. Anyhow, he had been limping on and off a few weeks ago--nothing major, but enough that I noticed he was a little off. So, I took him to the vet to get it checked out--numerous xrays, and the doctor said she didn't see cancer, but she did see arthritis--and a chip in his neck. From what I understand, a piece of bone may have chipped off of one of his vertebre in his neck.

Anyhow, a few days later, I come home and he isn't putting any weight on his front leg--so back to the vet we go in a panic. Another round of xrays still reveals no cancer--she was thinking that perhaps the chip in his neck is new and perhaps that was/is causing a pinched nerve making pain run down his front leg. She gave me tramadol and sent us home. The next day, he was still limping. My dad called and suggested we give him an Alleve--I did, and he has been perfect ever since--HOWEVER, if he runs at all, he will scream and pull his leg up. Usually if I give him a few seconds, he can walk on it normally. This is the part that really scares me.

So...any ideas on what it could be or what I should do? All advice and ideas are GREYTLY appreciated!

Thank you thank you!

Andrea & Drinkin Bacardi!

I would have Dr. Couto check out the x-rays. Do you know where to have your vet send them?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I am so sorry you are going through this with your pup.

Please check with your vet / a vet before giving Aleve to be sure that it is safe for your boy.

My first girl Scarlett had a bout with being unable to put her leg down and put any weight on it. My vet had to manually work on her leg for nearly an hour to find the problem. It, too, was arthritis related but was muscular as she was compensating for pain elsewhere.

I hope your pup feels better soon.

Guest andrealynch

I would have Dr. Couto check out the x-rays. Do you know where to have your vet send them?

Do you have an address for him? Also, how much will it cost to have him take a look? Thanks!

Do you have an address for him? Also, how much will it cost to have him take a look? Thanks!

There is definitely a possiblity that it is NOT osteo and just arthritis and possibly he is having some neck issues because of the chip. However, unless you get a definite diagnosis, and if he is still limping, I would re-x-ray in a month or 3. It took my P{olli's osteo almost a year to appear although she limped on an off for a year. I am not trying to scare you. I just want you to remain on top of things (which you appear to be very much)

There is no charge for him to look. I would have my vet send it over there. Call them and let them know it's coming. It's another set of eyes and an excellent set of eyes as well.

Keeping your baby in my thoughts and prayers.

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

Website: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/GHWP.htm (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest andrealynch

There is definitely a possiblity that it is NOT osteo and just arthritis and possibly he is having some neck issues because of the chip. However, unless you get a definite diagnosis, and if he is still limping, I would re-x-ray in a month or 3. It took my P{olli's osteo almost a year to appear although she limped on an off for a year. I am not trying to scare you. I just want you to remain on top of things (which you appear to be very much)

There is no charge for him to look. I would have my vet send it over there. Call them and let them know it's coming. It's another set of eyes and an excellent set of eyes as well.

Keeping your baby in my thoughts and prayers.

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

Website: (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

Awesome! Thank you--I didn't realize he'd look at them for free! Super! I am sending this info to my vet right now on facebook! Thanks!!

My boy suffered from a pinched nerve in his neck and had similar symtoms: intermittent lameness in a front leg + crying and holding up the leg after running but walking on it again normally after a few seconds. In his case the cause was a slightly misaligned vertebra rather than a bone chip but the symptoms sound so similar that it makes me wonder if the bone chip is putting pressure on a nerve as your vet suggested.

Did your vet say if it would be possible to remove the bone chip?

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest andrealynch

My boy suffered from a pinched nerve in his neck and had similar symtoms: intermittent lameness in a front leg + crying and holding up the leg after running but walking on it again normally after a few seconds. In his case the cause was a slightly misaligned vertebra rather than a bone chip but the symptoms sound so similar that it makes me wonder if the bone chip is putting pressure on a nerve as your vet suggested.

Did your vet say if it would be possible to remove the bone chip?

Wow! Thanks for letting me know about your situation--it helps a lot. You know, my vet didn't mention having it removed, but I could certainly ask her about it--especially if that would help him. Since he is generally feeling good--it can be hard to keep him from running....I try my best, but you know how that goes ;) I will ask my vet and look in to it!

Thanks!!

Please do not let him run until you have a dx. I know it's hard, but at this point it sounds as if he doesn't need to be put at risk for further injury.

Here's hoping that whatever "it" is, is easily corrected. Hugs and prayers in the meantime.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I don't know where you live - but VOSM in Anapolis, MD are experts at this kind of thing - they did a wonderful presentation at GiG. My Thor has been limping for two months and no one has been able to address his pain - so we are off to VOSM next Friday with all of our X-Rays in tow. They have a website - if you are too far away, perhaps there is some place similar, close to you?

Edited by JudiK