The Big D For The First Time..

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest FordRacingRon

The last two nights Leia has woken me up,, twice the first night and 3 times last night,,, to have the big D. I know all the tricks but never had to use them. I haven't changed her diet one iota and she only has them in the middle of the night. I am going to cut back on a treat or so and see if it makes a difference. FYI: when she spend a week at the sitters she gets the runs form the wheat treats she is given, but that's not the case here.

So I am going to try her on an Immodium today (I think 1 tab a day is enough?). I gave her some pumpkin yesterday and will so again today along with the immodium. If that doesn't work tomorrow I am going to start her on the chicken and rice diet. My question is,,how much chicken and rice per meal. She is a big girl at 68 pounds and normally eats 3 cups a day of kibble plus a few cookies. How much chicken and rice does this translate into. BTW,,her appetitie is perfectly fine and during the day she is fine. This D stuff only happens inthe middle of the night. She doesn't go number 2 during the day now because she is empty form the night.

To the vet Tuesday if she doens't get better.

Have occasionally had that problem with my boys, just outta the blue. One Immodium every 6 to 8 hours is okay, and would feed her about a cup of white or brown rice cooked with extra water so it's very soft, and a couple of pieces of chicken. Hopefully she'll be back to normal soon. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Dustin gets the occassional runs.....and it lasts for a day. But, the last time, it lasted longer - and he clearly was stuggling. His belly was growling and he just kept pushing like he felt like he had to go. I let it go for about 12 hours, but then I saw blood. Took him to the vet and she thought he had a bit of an infection.....So, I agree with taking him to the vet if it lasts much longer or if you start seeing blood. It never hurts to give him a little pedialite in the meantime since they can dehydrate so quickly!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Stripeyfan

Kelly is 70lbs and on a permanent bland diet as his IBD means he can't tolerate any dog food at the moment. He did eat 4 cups of kibble daily before he got sick, but needs more of the bland diet to maintain his weight - we feed 5 mugs of white rice and 2.5 mugs of shredded boiled chicken breast daily. I cook the rice on a low heat for about an hour, topping it up with water to make it really mushy.

Hope Leia feels better soon!

Guest FordRacingRon

I changed my mind. ot the Vets MOnday because I just realized that would be 4 nights. She doens't go at all duing the day (at least yesterday, today is only dy two) so I thought she was over it with jsut the pumpkin in her breakfast so I didn't pu any in her dinner. So far today I gave her an immodium and pumpkin in her breakfast. If she goes at all todya I am thinking the chicken rice diet (which she will actually love) for dinner. Should pumpkin go in with that ?

I changed my mind. ot the Vets MOnday because I just realized that would be 4 nights. She doens't go at all duing the day (at least yesterday, today is only dy two) so I thought she was over it with jsut the pumpkin in her breakfast so I didn't pu any in her dinner. So far today I gave her an immodium and pumpkin in her breakfast. If she goes at all todya I am thinking the chicken rice diet (which she will actually love) for dinner. Should pumpkin go in with that ?

I think that it would be helpful to put the pumpkin in the chicken and rice. Something else that works well are Metamucil biscuits. I gave it to Breeze as a treat when she had the big D and it cleared it up quickly. I guess it depends on the cause, of course.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Guest FordRacingRon

Wow,,I really need to check my spelling. I think playing video games on the computer for so many years has made my right hand slower then my left, even though I am right handed. Anyhow, she has had no incidents today after the morning immodium and pumpkin blast. For dinner I did though opt for the chicken and rice dinner,,which she gobbled up quicker then quick (I knew she would love it) so now the question will be how long will she she make it past last turnout. Thank you guys for the information.

Guest Stripeyfan

That sounds like a greyt update. Doing a firm poo chant for Leia here (Kelly's just had a big D episode too so I sympathise with you – and her!)! I bet she was heartbroken about having to have the chicken and rice. smile.gif

Well, everything seems to be back to normal. It was a lincoln log morning and no wake ups last night. Thanks everyone......

Greyt news!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.