Inexplicable Weight Loss...

Guest Lgyure85

Guest Lgyure85

So I took both dogs to the vet today, just to tour their new facility. I figured while we were there I could weigh them both. Our Boston went from 27.1 to 23.8 and Maddie the GH went from 62.8 yo 53.1, both in about 6 months, and they were both a bit under-weight to begin with. We've been feeding Bruce according to the directions for a 35 lb. dog, and Maddie for a 70 lb. dog. They get Blue Buffalo. They have both been on Interceptor consistently since we got them, so it's probably not worms. Should we just increase their food? Our budget is a bit tight right now, so we would rather not take them both to the vet right away for it, since they are both acting fine and their appetites are fine.

Guest Swifthounds

If this is the first time they are each being weighed on that particular scale, I would wait two weeks and reweigh at the same place. Different scales give different weights and even self calibrating scales can be off by several pounds. You really can only compare weights obtained from the same dog on the same scale. Everything else is just voodoo.

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest cwholsin

You can try increasing their food and/or putting in some extra for calories. When Hermes was dropping weight (he dropped 10 lbs in a month and a half) we put him on hamburger and rice in addition to his normal food (which is very expensive, and cooking up beef and rice is a lot cheaper than feeding him an extra cup of kibble a day). If that doesn't make a difference, I would definitely go to the vet. Your weight loss has been slower than my pups so it might be they're just not getting enough. We've been giving our GH a cup and a half more than what the bag recommends because he just seems to have a really high metabolism.

Hope your babies can get some weight back!!

Have you noticed a change in appearance? Do you have some photos from 6 months ago to compare to how they look now? Are there more ribs showing? Are the hip bones more pronounced? If they look the same, I would just reweigh in a week or so. Who knows? Maybe the weight from 6 months ago was way off and the current reading is the correct one? :dunno

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Our scale at the clinic where I work is notoriously off. Depends on how much the dog wiggles, or even what mood the durn scale is

in that day :angry:

I'd reweigh in a week or so on the same scale.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.