Tips For Getting A Second Gh?

Guest vezzerina

Guest vezzerina

Hey there,

I have been thinking about getting a second GH for a while and I get the feeling that I am slowly convincing DH. Any tips for adopting a second GH? We have a submissive female GH and three cats (who couldn't care less about her).

Thanks!

Guest sheila

well you are lucky in that you live in a state where you have the opportunity to actually meet and greet potential new family members. I think most folks around here will tell you to let your hounds choose each other. If I were you I would work with the group that you are most comfortable with and be totally honest about your lifestyle and your home and let them steer you towards dogs that they feel would be the best match. Another idea is to contact your group and offer to 'foster with intent' and see how your girl does before making that commitment. Good luck!

Guest mbfilby

Foster with intent is the way to go. If your girl is submissive, she will likely do well with either a male or another easy going female. Adding a second hound is pretty much easier then bringing home the first. You now have experience and know what to expect. Good luck!

I am getting my 2nd one this week. Took my 4 year old male to meet 3 adoptables and he did not pick out one!! So, I just picked out another 4 year old male and we will go from there. His dental is Tuesday and I can get him anytime after that. There is a dog at the pound that I am taking to his new home in a few days, so after I am finished with that, I will get my new one!

Guest vezzerina

Thanks for the tips, guys! Fostering with intent sounds like a great way to go. My Lyca is submissive BUT when any male tries to mount her or gets too frisky she barks and gets a mohawk. That's as far as it goes (no barking or anything) but I think having a mellow 2nd dog would be ideal.

I am curious to see how the 2nd dog will behave. Will it learn from Lyca?

Guest Swifthounds

They definitely do learn from one another - for better or worse.

I agree that fostering with intent or going through a group with a kennel is the way to go (some of which will let you do a trial period with a dog). Adding a second is a bit easier on you as you're more experienced in the whole transition aspect than the hound is this time. The trickiest thing about adding number 2 is that, if you've never had a pair or a pack, it's very difficult to assess how your hound will react to the new hound or what will best suit her because you don't know what he personality is with one or more other hounds. Even their behavior with other hounds they meet frequently but don't live with is a whole different ball game than the ones they live with full time (like the difference between a friend you see often and a family member). Once she has had the opportunity to spend some significant time with another hound, you'll have a better idea of what she's like and what hound will complement that. Let her choose.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

My suggestion is to let them have lots of outside time together. Just my opinion, but I think that doing "dog" things together helps them start bonding. There's also less to be territorial about -- space, treats, food, humans, toys -- outside. Walks together are great. If you have a fenced yard, I suggest muzzling and supervision at first when they're out together.

Having 2 greys is more like 4 times the fun of having one. Enjoy! :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

foster, as everyone else has recommended. that's what we did when emily died, poor felix was lost. he's a tad sensitive and submissive putting it mildy. the first foster was too dominate, the second....she was the one. they bonded playing soccer and she is his shadow. i call annie bannani- monkey see-monkey do. when it's the right combo you and your pups will know.